Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MSD Coil Connections

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Coil Connections

My factory coil in my 96 Hatch is bad so i bought a MSD cap and coil but left the ignition amplifier out of the equation. The factory coil wires are white/blue and black/yellow. My MSD coil has a + and - side only. Which factory wire do I want to use for the + side of the coil? I ran thru MSDs directions but all they show is the Ignition Amplifier with the Coil hook up and its got me a bit confused.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: MSD Coil Connections (DsCivicEx2)

ive never really used an msd coil without the amplifier my opinion remember my opinion just get a used sci box for like 100 bucks n wire that in. good luck.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: MSD Coil Connections (DsCivicEx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My factory coil in my 96 Hatch is bad so i bought a MSD cap and coil but left the ignition amplifier out of the equation. The factory coil wires are white/blue and black/yellow. My MSD coil has a + and - side only. Which factory wire do I want to use for the + side of the coil? I ran thru MSDs directions but all they show is the Ignition Amplifier with the Coil hook up and its got me a bit confused.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This should help: http://msdignition.com/1download.htm

try to look into one of the directions, If I'm correct they should have a example on how to wire the cap and coil without the ignition box for acura/hondas.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM

yeah i already searched thru there..if you search specific product it gives you instructions as well. But the only instructions with their coil is how to mount it and change the adapters. I might just have to beark down and get the ignition amplifier.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DsCivicEx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i already searched thru there..if you search specific product it gives you instructions as well. But the only instructions with their coil is how to mount it and change the adapters. I might just have to beark down and get the ignition amplifier.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not that hard, I've done it before even though it's pointless. BTW here's how you do it. look at how a typical 6A is installed with a coil. look at the coil itself and the stock internal coil itself. all you have to do is remove the stock one and extend the stock wires so it can reach to the msd coil. that's it easy.......done.

Also black/yellow is + and white/blue is - that is in the msd direction if you actually bothered to read it which you should of.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:43 PM

wow so cranky. I did bother to ready it and how is it pointless. My factoy coil is dead..so this is the aftermarket way to fix it..Seems like its serving a purpose. Not doing this for power reason. If you look at the instructions the with the ignition amp all 4 wires run back to ONE harness. If you look at the SCI+ with a boost timing control it shows your negative MSD coil wire to your positive factory wire. And then the negative factory wire just disappears into the boost timing controller. Yeah thats really making alot of sense to me. I can clearing see the + and - for the factory and MSD coil but the fact that it shows the neg MSD connected to the pos factory with a boos controller made me second guess that.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DsCivicEx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow so cranky. I did bother to ready it and how is it pointless. My factoy coil is dead..so this is the aftermarket way to fix it..Seems like its serving a purpose. Not doing this for power reason. If you look at the instructions the with the ignition amp all 4 wires run back to ONE harness. If you look at the SCI+ with a boost timing control it shows your negative MSD coil wire to your positive factory wire. And then the negative factory wire just disappears into the boost timing controller. Yeah thats really making alot of sense to me. I can clearing see the + and - for the factory and MSD coil but the fact that it shows the neg MSD connected to the pos factory with a boos controller made me second guess that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Point taken but why don't you just replace the stock coil with another stock coil? Why bother mess with something honda engineered with good intent?

BTW why are you looking at the SCI w/ boost timing? when you are just replacing a internal coil for a external coil? Stick to the 6A diagram. You're making it harder then it needs to be.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:10 PM

I looked at the 6A wiring. Im only looking at these other diagrams to maybe see where the MSD coil and the factory coil wires meet up. I work for a audio store and we get performance parts cheap so I went this way to save some cash and get the aftermarket product. My dist. cap was broke in a wreck so i needed on of them as well. I just realized i dont have the rotor anymore either so I better pick it up if I plan to start this thing lol.