Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Moulding door panels to integra dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moulding door panels to integra dash

Im currently installing an integra dash in my buddies eg hatch, thanks to litterbox's instructional write up eveything went smooth... The door panels is what im working on now. I didnt like the idea of heating up the door panels and smashing the door shut. so i peeled back the vinyl and it did not rip, made my cuts which were a little off lol but it looks somewhat good. i realized if i bring the vinyl back its going to be soft where there is no plastic behind it and it looked a little rough. so i decided to buy some fiberglass and bondo. i just finished the fiberglass job and it was pretty easy.

You will need around $50-60
Tub of bondo(should come with hardener)
Fiberglass mat
Reisin for fiberglass(should come with hardener)
1inch Paint brush
Mixing board and cups(make sure the cups arent waxed, dont ask why?? lol)
Some bondo spreaders or whatever they are called
Spray glue for apolstery
80 grit sand paper
220 grit sand paper

Preperation

Sand the rear of the door panels around the area that was cut with some 80 grit sand paper to get any dirt off and give the reisin a good adhering surface. i wiped it down with a cloth to get all the dust off.

Fiberglass

This is my first time touching fiberglass and bondo so it not going to be the greatest.

I say wear gloves because this **** is sticky. i didnt wear gloves like a dumbass but acetone works really good to get that **** off your hands.

Try to do this in a well ventilated area like outside lol. this stuff smells real bad and is really strong. Do not do this inside your house trust me, you'll know why once you start workin with it.

Cut a peice of the fiberglass mat that will cover the hole from the inside of the door panel and about 2-3 inches around the cut. Mix the reisin and hardener according to the directions on the bottle. make sure you mix enough to fully saturate the whole piece of fiberglass, and make a seperate batch for each door as the reisin with get to thick to spread. using the paint brush, spread some reisin around the hole(be generous) on the inside of the door panel. lay the precut peice of fiberglass onto that reisin and try to position well as it is hard move once on. using a dabbing motion but dont press to hard because i pulled some of the fiberglass away from the door panel and it gets messy when you gotta reposition it, soak the peice of fiberglass with reisin. once soaked my fiberglass was out position a bit so i had to form it a little with my hands. Dont try to make it flush with the outside of the door panel, thats what the bondo is for. After that, you're done. Let the panels sit overnight to cure properly, my garage now smells like reisin because of this. This took around half an hour to complete if not a little bit more.

Well this is as far as i have gotten so far and i plan to post pictures of the door panels. Im gonna start in the moring on the bondo and ill post another write up on that along with some pictures.

I do have a couple worrie of the vinyl and if it will be easy to make it look good but hopefully it should be ok. Check back tomorrow for pictures.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moulding door panels to integra dash (310tpi)

hey man that sounds like a good little walk though, pictures possibly?