Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor swap and the cops popin hoods

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap and the cops popin hoods

doing a motor swap and the cops pop hoods were iam at right now around i.e.
i'am from the fresno but i move here to s.b. county for a job i saw while driving cop here pop thne hoods of these guys honda and integra later i see one of their cars towed away
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor swap and the cops popin hoods

and your question is?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You heard of california emissions? swap laws? having to BAR certify your car when you do a swap right?
You live in CA, you should know. its the same laws in Fresno as it is n San Bernardino.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My only problem with "Ricers" is they stick out like a sore thumb.. If you kept your **** looking stock and pretty quiet and didn't drive like an A$$hole everywhere, you can mod all you want and nobody'd ever know..

I've been driving with an un-reffed B-swap for probably 7-8 years now.. Had my hood popped twice and haven't gotten a ref ticket yet. (Thanks to my OEM looking ITR header w/heat shield).. My engine is modded to hell for an N/A and because my car looks stock, nobody even questions it.. The one thing I'm gonna have to address is my pillar guages tho.. One of the cops that pulled me over, saw them and thought I had nitrous.. That's all he cared about finding and came up dry. LoL.

Just keep your I's dotted and your T's crossed and you'll be ok.. As in, No exposed cam gears, no visible mods to the engine, no modified or tampered engine numbers (Which is one reason why they impound cars on the spot.) No fart can exhaust (#1 reason to get pulled), stuff that makes it look like it's a "race car" haha..
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its chance too on the cop that gets you. Some more know than others. And if they know more, they can get you immediately just for having a swap with no BAR stickers.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that why they took the car stolen motor in it fresno they chop it and burn the frame saw this a lot with honda and mustangs
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM

Not actually being from california, but having experience being pulled over more than 1 or two times, all i can tell you is, it is all about attitude and actions and for the most part, not whats under the hood.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just stay undercover looking and you'll be fine
Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a while back they busted 184 people for street racing on ediwanda they block off both side of the street i saw this on youtube and the on the news and when they get them if found stolen engine or racing crush and infront of you sadest thing i ever seen they don't crush you car in fresno that i seen or heard

Last edited by robcivic559; 10-10-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if you're THAT worried about it, go stock, bar your Ish, then mod it.. Not much they can do after that.. LOL =]
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i'am just going to do it i have the motor all out or nothing i just keep my racing on the track and not stick out and look stock on the street thx 4 the help
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why woudl you strret race if they crush you rcar I just chaged my reg. and lic to flordia with FL plates...I have a GSR-t del sol havent got pulled over yet. When the day comes Ill make sure to let the cop know I am not into racing only on the track and that he wont have any problems with my car.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

here's a question, what if you from another state (i.e. washington) and your car is registered there, but you get pulled over in cali and they pop your hood and find all the non-cali legal mods. Is it legal because your registered in washington, or is it illegal cuz your driving through their state
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by robcivic559
a while back they busted 184 people for street racing on ediwanda they block off both side of the street i saw this on youube
Theyve been doing that for almost 2 decades. Probably even longer.

Originally Posted by GSE980
why woudl you strret race if they crush you rcar I just chaged my reg. and lic to flordia with FL plates....
They require anyone living in CA to switch to CA registration. Only way you can get away with that is if you are just visiting. Other than that, if you live in CA for consecutive 30 days and driving the car in CA, you are required to have CA license plates. Its possible if the cop gets you for something, they'll pin this on you and either make you do a correction or fine for not having the proper plates.
I had a new car that I forgot to put the new plates just by a couple weeks of getting the plates in the mail. Even got a fine for that for not having the plates on there.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^x2
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RedRevolver
here's a question, what if you from another state (i.e. washington) and your car is registered there, but you get pulled over in cali and they pop your hood and find all the non-cali legal mods. Is it legal because your registered in washington, or is it illegal cuz your driving through their state

Not sure about that, but maybe there's an unwritten rule to not fine or ticket people on things like that. Maybe they just focus on following basic traffic/speeding laws for visitors.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They're also starting to haul mobile dynos to do periodic "random" inspections at check points around norcal.. I think I heard they were doing something similar in socal too..

Not to mention Diesels (pickups) are being targeted now too.. Any of those guys with no "cats" get LARRRRRGE fines.. $1000+ and anyone with modified emissions can get a recommendation for (Insert VC here) which states that if you get caught for another emissions violation (IE Turbo, I/H/E, NO2, etc) you get a point on your driving record!

What the hell!! And I heard that directly from a friend of mine who is CHP that happens to be working in san jose right now..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by RedRevolver
well one of my buds from florida (tampa) who has his car heavily engine modded but looks stock and almost sounds stock (if it werent for the blow off valve) went to cali for a week, he got pulled over 4 times in that week and always got away. no warnings or nothing. but i wouldnt know whats the course of action for cops on this situation.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unlocked, may get moved to gdd to give a heads up. keep the responses civil please.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:42 AM

^^^ was about to say its in the wrong forum. On a side note though thats why i love being from FL but know one day that Cali and other states will try to bully FL into following the same set of laws when it comes to emissions. Question for you guys if your in the military and get stationed there are you required to have cali plates or can you have your state plates? I know one give mention if you live there but wondering if your in the military if they give you a break about being out of state.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i agree with keeping you **** stock looking and not haveing flashy brigh green or purlple rims. doin so will keep you out of a lot of trouble and under the radar
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99JDMHATCH
^^^ was about to say its in the wrong forum. On a side note though thats why i love being from FL but know one day that Cali and other states will try to bully FL into following the same set of laws when it comes to emissions. Question for you guys if your in the military and get stationed there are you required to have cali plates or can you have your state plates? I know one give mention if you live there but wondering if your in the military if they give you a break about being out of state.
Well the thing that sucks is there are no boundaries where air goes.. High emissions in Fl can easily end up in CA or over seas for that matter..

did you know a pretty large percentage of the "smog" in LA is actually from China Via Trans continental jet stream...? I read that in the Economist once. Scary thought if you actually stop to look at the effect is has..

Wish I had a Chevy EV1.. I'd mob that electric fish lookin beezy.. =]
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by exospeedamcrx
theyve been doing that for almost 2 decades. Probably even longer.

They require anyone living in ca to switch to ca registration. Only way you can get away with that is if you are just visiting. Other than that, if you live in ca for consecutive 30 days and driving the car in ca, you are required to have ca license plates. Its possible if the cop gets you for something, they'll pin this on you and either make you do a correction or fine for not having the proper plates.
I had a new car that i forgot to put the new plates just by a couple weeks of getting the plates in the mail. Even got a fine for that for not having the plates on there.

not if your military!!! you are not required to change registration or plates just insurance...You can even have expired liscense. I joined the Navy in New Jersey switched my residency to FL in A-school and now I am stationed in CA Ive only been pulled over out in town twice and have never had my hood popped. They usually let military go without tickets because they apprciate our service and we should I PUT MY TIME IN SO LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE..

My advice stay away from the whole street race scene and go to the track. The gangs are getting bad to were they will follow you home and jack you at gunpoint at a light. I used to street race in philly I have to much to lose now. the military dont play around you will be discharged immediatly.

Thats why LA smells so bad you can see it ontop of the horizon and even in San Diego it nasty but oh well Im sure my honda isnt any worse then the F18 super hornets or EA-6B prowlers they launch everyday on base or off the coast

Last edited by GSE980; 05-13-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fried chicken
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say this living in PA. Most states if you are a student and keep your primary address in your home state and your car registered and inspected for your home state you are not subject to inspection code of that state you goto school in only the state that you are from. I do know that Cali is quite diff so you might be s.o.l.

Last edited by instructor74; 05-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from a law enforcement standpoint, do everything in accordance with your local and state laws, I'm not familiar with this "BAR" situation, seeing as we do not enforce stuff like mods like CA does. Like previously stated, keep your car stock appearing and drive like you have sense, i never say anything to anyone about exhaust seeing as i have one on my car and well, that would make me a hypocrite. Do it legal and you wont get "harassed" by the cops.

Quick Reply: motor swap and the cops popin hoods