Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap

ok i have a 94 dx coupe and im thinking of putting an h22 swap in it soon but is there going to be mods needed or can it be droped straight in and should i try and do it myself with some of my friends or take it to a shop i have limited tools and time but want to learn more and does any one know any good swap places in socal? thank help would be appreciated
Old 09-28-2003, 06:50 PM

no, it doesn't drop straight in, there are so many topics about this, try searching
Old 09-28-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: motor swap (misfitmagoofey)

Hello, btw, the guy above me just FLAMED you, it's what people do to make themselves feel more important they do it when people ask questions that THEY think are common questions (yeah, common if you've been on this site for 2 years, but not if you just registered and have no clue about hondas besides that they come from Japan)..

To answer your question: yes, it's very easy to do swap..YOU NEED:
the full engine (head, block, ECU computer, as well as axles, halfshaft, shift linkage, and MOTOR MOUNTS).
First, I must say, doing an H22 swap does add a pretty good amount of weight to the front, and many talk about this (people who have done H22 (prelude vtec) to civic swap are bound to answer this thread eventually). But, if you get carbon fiber hood, and good motor mounts you will be good. * PLEASE GET GOOD motor mounts for h22 swap, like Hasport or any good aftermarket motor mounts.
As far as engine swap..the H22 requires cutting something in floorboard, or so i've heard..but it's not supposed to be difficult. check http://www.importautosalvage.com for the H22 FULL SWAP kit, most engine importers sell full swaps, with everything i listed above (but, please ask for their aftermarket motor mounts, i'm not kidding that the engine is WAY heavier than d15, and a decent amount heavier than a bseries swap (civic si or integra engines)
Old 09-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor swap (EGtoDC2)

yah, this swap is harder than your normal b-series swap but nothing is impossible with the right tools... good luck.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor swap (dunkd)

Also, the H22 axles won't fit. You'll either need to use 90-93 Integra axles with 90+ Accord intermediate shaft or get some aftermarket axles made for the swap.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:20 PM

what makes you want a h22 inside a civic may i ask?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:20 PM

cool thanks guys. do u think me and some of my friends can do this and how long do u think it will take us? i want to get it done asap found a motor for 2200 and am thinking of ordering it it comes with every thing i need what do you guys think good deal?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah sounds like a deal to me.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: motor swap (Mugen_Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen_Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what makes you want a h22 inside a civic may i ask?</TD></TR></TABLE>
200 hp and 161 trq
Old 09-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misfitmagoofey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thinking of ordering it it comes with every thing i need what do you guys think good deal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does it come with mounts(HaSport, HCP), and axles that will work with the swap? Unless you are getting it from someone who had the swap in a Civic, I doubt it will. Just letting you know you will have to pay extra for those.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:29 PM

does anyone know what im going to have to cut on the floor boards and why?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:38 PM

but yu can squeeze 200 hp from a b16a...or even a b18c5.hm.......wont be easy ill tell u that
Old 09-28-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Re: motor swap (96coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Does it come with mounts(HaSport, HCP), and axles that will work with the swap? Unless you are getting it from someone who had the swap in a Civic, I doubt it will. Just letting you know you will have to pay extra for those.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah it comes with them for an extra 700 after fully researching it from hmotors im looking at like 3000 they are hasport mounts and integra axles with accord intermediate shaft.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen_Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but yu can squeeze 200 hp from a b16a...or even a b18c5.hm.......wont be easy ill tell u that</TD></TR></TABLE>
i know its not going to be easy but itll be good experiance
Old 09-28-2003, 08:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mugen_Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but yu can squeeze 200 hp from a b16a...or even a b18c5.hm.......wont be easy ill tell u that</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can squeeze that much power but if he wants to go with a h22 that would be a hell of a start....the displacement alone would be an advantage to any b series
Old 09-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGtoDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello, btw, the guy above me just FLAMED you, it's what people do to make themselves feel more important they do it when people ask questions that THEY think are common questions (yeah, common if you've been on this site for 2 years, but not if you just registered and have no clue about hondas besides that they come from Japan)..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

FYI he helped him out in a BIG way. give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. he told him what everyone tells all the n00bs. use the search function. the archiveds are there for a reason. there are numerous topics on this. in no way shape or form did he flame him. he gave info, and then he told him where the rest of his questions can be answered.

so search before you ask any basic questions. honda-tech has been around for a while, and a 99.9 percent of everyones questions have been answered before, but the topics are just a little harder to find because topic titles are not always clear.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Re: motor swap (JUN EK9)

yeah, i know, i wasn't trying to be a hardass, just trying to give him a small push. sometimes, it's hard to get started in any direction, and sometimes, it's nice to just chatter about your plans, and see what other's experiences have been
search options would work if people actually labeled their titles better...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by misfitmagoofey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> do u think me and some of my friends can do this and how long do u think it will take us?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds liek you and your friends havent done any motor swaps before, imo an h22 is not the ideal engine to do for your first swap, it is one of the more difficult ones to do actually. stick with a b-series to keep things easy and you wont have to fabricate anything.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor swap (Gerst240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gerst240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can squeeze that much power but if he wants to go with a h22 that would be a hell of a start....the displacement alone would be an advantage to any b series</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just remember, Tom's EH/B18C5 pulled faster 1/4 times than the EH/H22A.

Plus the ITR swap is straight, simple, easy....etc.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:28 AM

Default Re: motor swap (D16Z6racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just remember, Tom's EH/B18C5 pulled faster 1/4 times than the EH/H22A.

Plus the ITR swap is straight, simple, easy....etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The H-22 is cheaper, and responds better to mods than C5.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor swap (infinatenexus)

someone posted above about how heavy the h22 is, does anyone upgrade their front suspension to compinsate for that or is what they got enough. never done an h22 swap, just wondering
Old 09-29-2003, 09:32 AM

I have read that the h22 only weights 75 lbs more than a b series if i am wrong correct me but that info came off this site
Old 09-29-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (Gerst240)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gerst240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have read that the h22 only weights 75 lbs more than a b series if i am wrong correct me but that info came off this site</TD></TR></TABLE>

75-85 pounds,,,, its not that much weight if you think about it
Old 09-29-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: (infinatenexus)

if you upgrade the springs to prelude or accord rates (just something heavier then your cheapo everyday lowering springs) the car will handle pretty well. bigger antil roll bars probably wouldnt hurt either. there are many a people that auto cross civic with H22's, so dont let anyone tell you it cant or wont handle, it can. you have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter. the ludes and accords use a cable shifter, where civics and tegs use rods. you make the hole for the cable to come into the driver compartment.

Like people said above, this is certainly not as easy a swap as a B. There is more wiring challenges, axle challenges etc. But if you do your homework, it will be rewarding in the end.

-Chris
Old 09-29-2003, 05:37 PM

Default Re: (BlackFrog)

thanks for all the help guys im saving right now and hoping to have the money within the next 3 weeks and im goin to take it to have it done again thanks for the help ive learned alote more than i knew and ill post pics once i get it done

-magoo

Quick Reply: motor swap