Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor mount inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:38 PM
mike93eh

Default motor mount inserts...

i was wondering if these are any good? do they make a difference? i just installed my prothane shifter stabilizer bushings today and they feel good. i know if you put the rear one on, it will make your car shake alot. but what if i were to only put the two side ones in? would it make any difference without the rear one?

and why is the left side insert $34 and the right side $8?! they are both basically the same???
http://www.nopionline.com/ecat...01993

Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: motor mount inserts... (mike93eh)

I installed the shifter bushings on my stock shifter in my 95 CX hatch and I felt a difference...I have heard that the dash rattles a little bit but you get used to it...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:47 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: motor mount inserts... (Yokohama)

i believe from what ive heard it only vibrates if you install the rear firewall mount insert. im just going to put in the two side ones. will they make any difference?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM
tangb2023

why would u need new inserts?? your car is preyy new.. oem ones are better.. with no vibrations.. unless u messed them up somehow..
Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: motor mount inserts... (tangb2023)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tangb2023 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would u need new inserts?? your car is preyy new.. oem ones are better.. with no vibrations.. unless u messed them up somehow..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was just wondering about them because i just put my prothane shifter stabilizer bushings on today and they were a great improvement over stock. so i know my oem shifter bushings are not better and they were "pretty new."
Old 01-27-2004, 08:40 PM
mike93eh

no one else has any insight?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

they help my EG alot when i am at the line..much lunch and more traction
Old 01-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They will help you quite a bit if you are planning to race and also decrease the chance of you snapping an axle on a hard launch and decrease wheel hopping, etc.

From my own experience there is definately some vibrations... But worth the trade off if you are into racing...

If you dont want to do this, you can always get your ur stock mounts and fill them up with 3M polyethylene (i think) or another type of polymer which will give you the same effect. There is an FAQ somewhere....

Modified by B16Drag at 6:05 AM 1/28/2004
Old 01-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

DO NOT just install the two torque mounts...

I did it for sake of time... and it was SOOOO much worse (vibration wise) without the rear mount to balance it out...

Also be SURE you install everything properly... and I don't mean the inserts.. .I mean re-installing he mounts... if you tighten the bolts in the wrong order it will make the vibrations MUCH worse...

I have all three and frankly if your stock mounts are in good shape the vibration isn't bad at all... if your idle is even slightly rough now though it can get pretty bad... I had a spell where the car was idling poorly and it was so bad I couldn't leave my car running at the drive thru otherwise I couldn't hear over the shaking of the dash...

But now it's FINE once it's up to temperature... I mean barely noticable at all... but during warmup it's pretty entertaining.

Overall I think they're a great mod for the money... I'd prefer to have stiffer (than stock) rubber Stock style mounts like the mugen or spoon ones... but those are 100x's more expensive... and not worth it IMO.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

if you have any wheel hop they should clean that right up too, did for me anyway.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
mike93eh

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT just install the two torque mounts...

I did it for sake of time... and it was SOOOO much worse (vibration wise) without the rear mount to balance it out...

Also be SURE you install everything properly... and I don't mean the inserts.. .I mean re-installing he mounts... if you tighten the bolts in the wrong order it will make the vibrations MUCH worse...

I have all three and frankly if your stock mounts are in good shape the vibration isn't bad at all... if your idle is even slightly rough now though it can get pretty bad... I had a spell where the car was idling poorly and it was so bad I couldn't leave my car running at the drive thru otherwise I couldn't hear over the shaking of the dash...

But now it's FINE once it's up to temperature... I mean barely noticable at all... but during warmup it's pretty entertaining.

Overall I think they're a great mod for the money... I'd prefer to have stiffer (than stock) rubber Stock style mounts like the mugen or spoon ones... but those are 100x's more expensive... and not worth it IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the good advise!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive use the shifter bushings in all my cars. i usually use hasport mounts, but in my teg i used the prothane inserts. I hate em. my whole entire car vibrates. my civic with hasports doesnt vibrate at all.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe from what ive heard it only vibrates if you install the rear firewall mount insert. im just going to put in the two side ones. will they make any difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES get MM inserts! made a huge difference on my 100,000mile del sol. Not sure how the prothane ones are but i love my energy suspension ones. The ES MM inserts made a big difference, and i only put the two side ones in, not the rear. Shifting at 7,000 no longer get me afraid the engine is going to rip off the chassis, its ALOT smoother. ALso, the tires hook up a lot crisper now with no wheel hop during shifts, when before i'd have a combination of tire spin and wheel hop. Only downside is a little more vibration (more of a rumble) at your feet, but I got used to it after a couple days. Excellent product, along with the shift stabelizers.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear mount is a bitch to get in too, but you need it!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:14 PM
mike93eh

okay some people are saying i dont need the rear insert and some are saying i do? what gives?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your gonna do it do it right. get them all so you dont make one a weaker link.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

cant you get the J's racing engine damper and that will resolve the rear mount issue?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed the front two without the rear in for a couple days (didn't have time to put the rear in at first)... while the front 2 did make a big improvement... it was MUCH more shaky/vibraty without the rear in... once I got the rear in it was TIGHT...

I would NOT recomend doing just the front 2... it's just ghetto...

And as far as the J's damper or whatever... those things aren't going to do 1/10th of the dampening a mount will... and since it's mounted on one side of the block it will still allow the rear mount to accept PLENTY of stress...

my .02
Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 PM
mike93eh

thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah put em all in, when you first fire it up you will notice the extra vibration but you get used to it fast and then you just consider it normal
Old 01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: motor mount inserts... (lohatch)

ya it does vibrate quite a bit , but like everyone else said u get used to it , but i do miss stock mounts
Old 01-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mount inserts... (Hella_JDM)

I got a post in the sponsor marketplace, I am selling ES MM inserts for $36 shipped ea in red or black PM me if interested. Shaun Clark BPTech
Old 01-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mount inserts... (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya it does vibrate quite a bit , but like everyone else said u get used to it , but i do miss stock mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine does NOT vibrate much at all... it's more than stock but NOTHING that's even really noticable...

Excessive vibration after install indicates you either have a bad stock core mount... or you tightened bolts in the wrong order...

Mine is absolutely fine and normal when the cars running well and up to temp... if it's running rough AT ALL or warming up it's pretty sickening how much vibration there is though.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:15 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: motor mount inserts... (NonovUrbizniz)

the only time mines vibrating is when its cold .....when it warms up to op temp its almost non exsistant
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 PM

I have a 93 coupe and I have the es shifter bushings and the mm inserts and yes I can feel a big diff. especially when you start pulling up the rpms. although it shakes but I do have a torn driver side factory mount so that may be some of my intense shaking! put all three mm in at once watch out for the rear one it will make you want to go punch your mom in the face!

Quick Reply: motor mount inserts...