Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor making horrible noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor making horrible noise

i did a valve adjustment today because of a weird ticking noise from my motor. im driving home from work and my motor starts making the worst noise ive ever heard rattling and banging and eventually turns off with a batt light on. i get home and my coolant is bubbling. anyone know what the hell is going on, my temp gauge is fine.

ill try to post a video of the noise, but itll be black since its dark outside.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: motor making horrible noise (d[sick]sTeena)

Are you sure you tightened all the locknuts on the lash adjusters?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor making horrible noise (z6hatchboy)

yeah, each and every one. im gonna open it up tomorrow and look things over. i checked and double checked each gap and bolt. if for some reason one came loose why would this be happening and what are the reprocussions?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]i did a valve adjustment today because of a weird ticking noise from my motor. im driving home from work and my motor starts making the worst noise ive ever heard rattling and banging and eventually turns off with a batt light on. i get home and my coolant is bubbling. anyone know what the hell is going on, my temp gauge is fine.

ill try to post a video of the noise, but itll be black since its dark outside.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the batt light comes on when the ignition is turned on and the motor is not running

hows the oil look?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor making horrible noise (trav95civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the batt light comes on when the ignition is turned on and the motor is not running

hows the oil look?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the correction. the oil looks alright i checked it right before i left work. when it turned off i pulled over and added oil. before i left for work i added a little seafoam, but none of this would happen because of that.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://s19.photobucket.com/alb...7.flv
Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It really sounds to me that you have some valves tapping the pistons. I think some of the locknuts came loose and are now tapping the pistons, i wouldnt run it anymore at all!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

defenately some metal to metal contact there. Dont start the motor anymore. Check the valves then go ahead and pull the head to check the pistons and valves.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i spun bearings in two bottom ends, and this is what you did, same noise sorry
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that doesn't sound like fun... when i pull my head, what am i looking for?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor making horrible noise (z6hatchboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]

thanks for the correction. the oil looks alright i checked it right before i left work. when it turned off i pulled over and added oil. before i left for work i added a little seafoam , but none of this would happen because of that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is not smart to add seafoam in the crankcase and leave it in there for a long period of time. You could of damaged something.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look for some bright marks where the valves hit the piston and scraped it, and inspect the valves.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor making horrible noise (highrev1987)

how do you spin a bearing, and how do you fix it?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i spun bearings in two bottom ends, and this is what you did, same noise sorry </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats why i mentioned checking the oil... to so see if there's any metal particles on the dipstick. Spun bearing was my first thought but if he had enough oil in the block he should have been fine. Then again he did say he added oil Post pics when you find out the problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats why i mentioned checking the oil... to so see if there's any metal particles on the dipstick. Spun bearing was my first thought but if he had enough oil in the block he should have been fine. Then again he did say he added oil Post pics when you find out the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats what i thought too, also seafoam thins oil out sooooo..... loose bearings+thin oil= spun bearing sorry
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked my oil level before i added oil and it looked fine... why would my coolant be bubbling and steaming?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]i checked my oil level before i added oil and it looked fine... why would my coolant be bubbling and steaming?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Head Gasket? starting to go
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Head Gasket? starting to go</TD></TR></TABLE>
so you think its a rod bearing and a head gasket???
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d[sick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sTeena]
so you think its a rod bearing and a head gasket???</TD></TR></TABLE>

now i am not trying to sound like a dick, but i've been where you are and i can tell you that you wont know until you rip that thing apart and see.

start with ripping the oil pan checking for shavings, also inspect the oil with a magnet, maybe have it sent out to get analyzed, check the coolant for any kind of impurity. let me know how it goes
Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be a number of things... the only way to find out is start checking the motor. Drain the oil and pull the oil pan. If there's any metal shavings = spun bearing. You can pull the shield (dont know the name of it ) between the oil and the crank to see the bearings.

After you've checked that out. Take the valve cover off and check to see if your valve adjustment lasted. Then proceed to pull the head and look for piston to valve contact and also check the head gasket.

good luck

edit: damn highrev1987 beat me to it
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

now i am not trying to sound like a dick, but i've been where you are and i can tell you that you wont know until you rip that thing apart and see.

start with ripping the oil pan checking for shavings, also inspect the oil with a magnet, maybe have it sent out to get analyzed, check the coolant for any kind of impurity. let me know how it goes </TD></TR></TABLE>
i know you're not trying to sound like a dick, any info i can get is GREATLY appreciated, as this has never happened to me. im gonna tear it apart tomorrow when i have some light. if it turns out to be a valve bolt loose would tightening fix it or has the damage been done? good place to buy new rod bearings? i was lookin at some ACL rod bearing for 60 bucks on ebay?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know you're not trying to sound like a dick, any info i can get is GREATLY appreciated, as this has never happened to me. im gonna tear it apart tomorrow when i have some light. if it turns out to be a valve bolt loose would tightening fix it or has the damage been done? good place to buy new rod bearings? i was lookin at some ACL rod bearing for 60 bucks on ebay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i rebuilt my LS i went with npr rings acl std. bearings and the kabuki gasket kit for 130 shipped, great products as long as you know how to build stuff. with a noise like that i am afraid the damage is done, GL
Old 02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i rebuilt my LS i went with npr rings acl std. bearings and the kabuki gasket kit for 130 shipped, great products as long as you know how to build stuff. with a noise like that i am afraid the damage is done, GL </TD></TR></TABLE>

to be completely honest, i have no effin clue what im doing, but i got a haynes manual, h-t, all the tools, common sense and the eagerness to learn. i hope its enough haha. where did u find that kit?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually im gonna make a and get started in my garage tonight
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to be completely honest, i have no effin clue what im doing, but i got a haynes manual, h-t, all the tools, common sense and the eagerness to learn. i hope its enough haha. where did u find that kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that should be enough if you take your time and do your HW. and i got that kit on ebay

Quick Reply: motor making horrible noise