Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

this motor illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this motor illegal?

hey i drive a 97 EK hatchbck, and im planning on buyin a USDM b16 motor for it, would this be an illegal swap if cops pull me over and tell me to pop my hood or somethin?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: this motor illegal? (EKizzle69)

Yes until its BAR'd All swaps are illegal in cali until then.

Everywhere else they dont care, luck bastards.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: this motor illegal? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes until its BAR'd All swaps are illegal in cali until then.

Everywhere else they dont care, luck bastards. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, it depends on which year motor it is. If he gets one from a '97 Del Sol or '99-00 Si, it would be fine (after BAR of course). Other that that you are s.o.l.

You just have to remember that the motor has to be the same year or newer than the chassis.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: this motor illegal? (nighttrain33)

what is BAR and is it only in cali?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: this motor illegal? (Import_Dumbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import_Dumbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is BAR and is it only in cali?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are other states that you must pass bar to be able to drive your car on public roads, but you would have to check in MD to find out if your state requires it. I believe it does, but I will check and see what I find.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 01:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKizzle69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i drive a 97 EK hatchbck, and im planning on buyin a USDM b16 motor for it, would this be an illegal swap if cops pull me over and tell me to pop my hood or somethin?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but cops arent exactly the savvyest of honda enthusiasts. And popping your hood is technically searching you car which requires warrant unless you authorize it...I know this 1st hand b/c I was pulled over, and he saw the "Acura" steering wheel blah blah....anyway he asked to see the motor...(says honda on it, guess that was good enough for him) popped my hood and said "son, you know I could write you a ticket for that header without the carb exemption". However he didnt notice, the b18c in my engine bay, along with all my other bolt ons. if you dont drive around like a ******** trying to race everything then there are now worries....and F*ck barring a car, if you fail you will not be able to smog your **** until you pass bar, b/c if you fail bar, and try and "make it pass", your VIN# will flag with the DMV....California is ****** gay when it comes to that.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:14 PM

thanks man, i really appreciate it. but what exactly is BAR and whats it for? sorry, ive been asking so many questions lately because i now have time to get back into it and want to start looking into a swap and what not again.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: this motor illegal? (Bee18Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And popping your hood is technically searching you car which requires warrant unless you authorize it...I know this 1st hand b/c I was pulled over, and he saw the "Acura" steering wheel blah blah</TD></TR></TABLE>

They can search if they have cause. They don't need a warrant.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import_Dumbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man, i really appreciate it. but what exactly is BAR and whats it for? sorry, ive been asking so many questions lately because i now have time to get back into it and want to start looking into a swap and what not again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bureau of Automotive Repair

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp
Old 09-11-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: this motor illegal? (rodrez.)

thanks, so its only in cal-i right. appreciate it man.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import_Dumbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks, so its only in cal-i right. appreciate it man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah dont worry about it
Old 09-11-2005, 02:37 PM

If you get pulled over, and the cop bothers to look under the hood and can tell the difference, it deserves to be illegal.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:43 PM

if they do say something, can i say that the b16 came with the car? or will i get in more trouble like that?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKizzle69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if they do say something, can i say that the b16 came with the car? or will i get in more trouble like that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't get in more trouble, but they won't care if you bought it from God like that, you still not will be allowed to drive it until you get a legal motor.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They can search if they have cause. They don't need a warrant.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they do need a warrant to search a car if you refuse.....No traffic violation is cause enough to search a car unless you are drunk etc....Like I said this happened to me less than a week ago, and the cop had to ask to look under my hood because techinically that is inside my car. I'm sure you are law enforcement and know every law that has ever been written??
Old 09-11-2005, 03:35 PM

I wasn't trying to be a dick, so before you jump to conclusions, calm down. Some dumbass from my work got pulled over with some friends of his and they had a pound of weed on them. They were all sober, but it was just a routine traffic stop. I know he is retarted for doing it, but the police searched the car for no reason and it held up in court. Do you really think that a "fart can" isn't cause enough to pull someone over to look under the hood. I think so.

I try to be as courteous as possible to everyone on here, until provoked, so please don't start call people names without cause.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 03:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure you are law enforcement and know every law that has ever been written?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, my best friend is a police officer, as well as my father, and I know many other police officers from a few different divisions in my area because I work with one of their wives. Oh, and yes, I am going to school soon for the academy.

Oh yes, I was able to sit down to talk to one of the police officers I know to talk about laws since some idiot was stupid enough to back into my truck when I was in it. Thanks.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 04:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, my best friend is a police officer, as well as my father, and I know many other police officers from a few different divisions in my area because I work with one of their wives. Oh, and yes, I am going to school soon for the academy.

Oh yes, I was able to sit down to talk to one of the police officers I know to talk about laws since some idiot was stupid enough to back into my truck when I was in it. Thanks.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great another cop.....So, than because I know doctor's and lawyer's qualifies me to make medical and legal decisions, I have spoken with them, just like you have spoken with your friends....Doesnt mean **** to me....and it doesnt matter anyway cuz a cop will do whatever the **** they want anyway right? To protect and serve?? is nothing but a load of ****. Personally never been protected or served by a cop.

-Jake
Attorney at Law
Gradute of The Speaking To Someone in That Line of Work University.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great another cop.....So, than because I know doctor's and lawyer's qualifies me to make medical and legal decisions, I have spoken with them, just like you have spoken with your friends....Doesnt mean **** to me....and it doesnt matter anyway cuz a cop will do whatever the **** they want....

-Jake
Attorney at Law
Gradute of The Speaking To Someone in That Line of Work University.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is it that it is always the little kids with no education are always the ones to talk smack. I have studied traffic laws quite extensively thank you very much, and why is it the ones that have the least amount of useful information to offer the ones that talk the most out of their asses. I try to help anyone that I can with their problems, and there are many people on here to attest to that. If you have a problem with me trying to give what according to you is "wrong info," point it out like an adult and stock trying to be gay about it. Oh wait, I said adult, which you are obviously not, so leave if you don't have any good info to give people.

If you want to compare all-around knowledge with grades and street smarts, don't. You will get your *** handed to you. Put your e-dick back into your zipper and wait until your boyfriend gets home.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 04:20 PM

this kid's lame

ive seen shane do nothing but help people including me.
and clearly, shane is obviously going to outwit you. im sure his grammer will hold up thrice of yours and you really have no reason to be a dick to him. he was just clarifying. a cop searched through my sisters car because he said she looked up at him with big open eyes. and as you stated, cops do what they want, so why would you say (you being the same person saying cops do whatever the **** they want) that they... wait for this one now... wait... NEED a warrent to search your car? haha, you are quit the contradicter-aire, no?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:22 PM

Why is it that it is always the little kids with no education are always the ones to talk smack. I have studied traffic laws quite extensively thank you very much, and why is it the ones that have the least amount of useful information to offer the ones that talk the most out of their asses. I try to help anyone that I can with their problems, and there are many people on here to attest to that. If you have a problem with me trying to give what according to you is "wrong info," point it out like an adult and stock trying to be gay about it. Oh wait, I said adult, which you are obviously not, so leave if you don't have any good info to give people.

If you want to compare all-around knowledge with grades and street smarts, don't. You will get your *** handed to you. Put your e-dick back into your zipper and wait until your boyfriend gets home.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

clubbed like a baby seal.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great another cop.....So, than because I know doctor's and lawyer's qualifies me to make medical and legal decisions, I have spoken with them, just like you have spoken with your friends....Doesnt mean **** to me....and it doesnt matter anyway cuz a cop will do whatever the **** they want anyway right, they don't follow rules, or abide by ****, they just get their big *** heads inflated in the academy and come out thinking they are above something.

-Jake
Attorney at Law
Gradute of The Speaking To Someone in That Line of Work University.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they will do whatever they want. But that doesn't keep me from carrying a statement of constitutional rights in my wallet. A cop took it from me once, which he later regretted because I went to the chief of police and bitched. He STOLE my personal and private property. The cheif told me he would be repremanded but I think he just got a slap on the wrist.

What really justifies "probable cause". Is there some standard definition as far as the law is concerned? I don't think so, its all opinion. If you want to take it to the extreme I'm sure you could eventually get everything thrown out if you didn't consent to the search. But IMO constitutional rights really don't exist any longer. They have been pushed away by a lingering fog of bureaucratic bull ****. If I'm alive when it happens, I will be on the front line of the second American revolution. And I gladly accept any black flags a statement like that could bring. But God bless America (The true one)!
grammer nawzi

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, but cops arent exactly the savvyest of honda enthusiasts. And popping your hood is technically searching you car which requires warrant unless you authorize it...I know this 1st hand b/c I was pulled over, and he saw the "Acura" steering wheel blah blah....anyway he asked to see the motor...(says honda on it, guess that was good enough for him) popped my hood and said "son, you know I could write you a ticket for that header without the carb exemption". However he didnt notice, the b18c in my engine bay, along with all my other bolt ons. if you dont drive around like a ******** trying to race everything then there are now worries....and F*ck barring a car, if you fail you will not be able to smog your **** until you pass bar, b/c if you fail bar, and try and "make it pass", your VIN# will flag with the DMV....California is ****** gay when it comes to that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said. I have a 97 EX with a 89 B16, passes smog with a USDM P73. All the bolt ons are CARB stamped. Never had any problems with the law. I've been driving around like this for 2yrs with this motor now. Just don't be an *** and you won't have to worry about it. I also have a A'pexi N1, so I'm not the quietest car in Cali.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Import_Dumbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clubbed like a baby seal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I will reply to your pm in a second, I am sorry it took so long. I had to give this kid what he deserved.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bee18Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally never been protected or served by a cop. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are an idiot. You don't know which drunk driver they pulled over that would have slammed into your car. Or the person who was street racing who would have it you had they not taken them to jail. You really need to grow up.

Yeah, and the troops that protect our Country have never "personally protected you" since you have never had any "personal" contact with them? You suck.

-Shane
Old 09-11-2005, 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=You are an idiot. You don't know which drunk driver they pulled over that would have slammed into your car. Or the person who was street racing who would have it you had they not taken them to jail. You really need to grow up.

Yeah, and the troops that protect our Country have never "personally protected you" since you have never had any "personal" contact with them? You suck.

-Shane[/QUOTE]

WTF?? That comment is as much bullshit as you are. Do you know what personal means? I said personally, as in, a situation I was in, and was assisted by a cop first hand, like when I got my car broken into and called the cops, then they send some fat ******* to sit there and take my name and address and act like I am wasting his donut shop time. **** THAT! I am finished with you. You sound like one of the ******** who relelected our inbred president. Good luck in the academy. Oh yea, and thanks for saving my life in advance..... ******

Quick Reply: this motor illegal?