Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Moonroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Moonroof rattle

Occasionally over the past three to six months I've been hearing a rattle from what sounds like somewhere in my moonroof assembly. The glass height seems flush with the roof, the motor works fine, the glass slides smoothly and I otherwise have no issues with the moonroof. I don't even hear any odd sounds while the roof is opening or closing. It all seems normal save for the rattle.

And again, it only rattles once in a blue moon. I can make sure it's closed by pressing the button to close it and the rattling continues. However, if I slide the roof open more than three to four inches, the rattle stops. At least some of the time it still rattles when the moonroof is just popped up.

Has anyone else had this problem? I checked the FSM for instruction on how to adjust the moonroof, but it all pertains to height adjustments.

I'd hate to have my moonroof fly off of my car, in all places, rainy Washington.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moonroof rattle (NOFX)

id say pull the headliner and look around. i just took mine out of my car im parting out so i can say i doubt its a loose bolt. those things are tight as hell. but the water drain tubes could come loose and rattle, or a plug or something. there really isnt much to the moon roof assembly.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Moonroof rattle (DCSportEJ1Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCSportEJ1Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id say pull the headliner and look around. i just took mine out of my car im parting out so i can say i doubt its a loose bolt. those things are tight as hell. but the water drain tubes could come loose and rattle, or a plug or something. there really isnt much to the moon roof assembly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I can't help but be a little worried that I might forget to tighten somethign up if I mess around. I wouldn't mind a splash guard falling off (okay, I would, but I could live)... but the moonroof flying out would **** me the [freak] off.

I haven't noticed any leaking water (rains a lot here, so I'd notice quick). It really sounds like rattling glass. I can't see how it could be though.

I guess there's something for me to do tomorrow.

Maybe I'll see if I can figure it out without taking the headliner down. I was thinking of replacing the glass this summer asap.

Then again, don't want to lose the panel on the road either.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moonroof rattle (NOFX)

Edit -- Saw you already checked the F.S.M.

I'd recommend taking off the headliner, check and see what's going on there. Just keep track of ALL bolts/nuts, etc.. that way you won't forget to tighten up anything.

Modified by ke98248 at 10:51 PM 3/2/2008
Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
H-T White Ops

Didn't take the headliner off, but when it was making the sound the other day I tried moving everything visible around and checked the visible bolts, but found nothing.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

I have this same problem, except mine is rattling constantly. I'm going to try to take it all apart tomorow and i'll post up if i find anything.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (thoma16)

Mine's been rattling with the shade shut or open and with the glass shut or open too.

I'm thinking it still might qualify for this TSB though:

TSB 00-095
Squeak From the Moonroof When Sunshade is Open and Glass is Closed (EX)
Install squeak reduction tape around the moonroof opening.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq...e.pdf

Just thought I'd update this thread with a possible solution. I haven't gotten around to tearing the headliner out yet though, so I'm not 100% sure it's my car's problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (NOFX)

So I replaced the glass and sunshade a few days ago. I tightened all the bolts on the rails up.

The rattle is still there. It wasn't there when I went of my first drive afterward, but then again it's always been an on and off thing. Sometimes it rattles. Sometimes it doesn't.

New info:

If I'm driving, my boyfriend can put his hand on the headliner right behind the dome light and hold his hand there. The rattling will stop.

Any advice?