Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Money Pit **Tell me your side of the story**

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Location: ....................................................................................................
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money Pit **Tell me your side of the story**

Well where do i start? My 1994 Honda Civic EX is the biggest money pit I've ever
had to put money into (my 97 maxima wasn't this bad) i've had the car since
November and went through winter with no heat I mean i loved...the
car but now im tired of it i'll go through a list of the things I've had to do and
repair and problems that just started. And I think its me or not but everytime I
add an upgrade or repair a part something else goes wrong

*~First thing that went- Headgasket-Fixed

*~2nd Clutch-Fixed

*~Blown Shocks-no money yet....

*~Main Relay-Trying to locate but will fix soon

*~Distubirutor-Wiring cut due to fixing headgasket-Fixed

*~Heat Air mix Cable-FINALLY FIXED

*~O2 Sensor-Fixed

*~Axles both sides-Replaced-Remans

*~Balljoints-Replaced

*~Lower Control Arm Bent Fronts -Found out after ball joints rub

*~Tranny Grinds sometimes 226xxx on its

*~Oil Pump might be going HOPE NOT

*~Alternator-Needs to be replaced

*~Wheel Bearings Both Fronts-need to be replaced-STARTED 2 F---IN Days After
Balljoints-coming in next week its just getting louder

*~Broke SUNROOF glass after got mad at it after it got jammed -Still
need to get it fixed

*~TEIN S-Techs-Still not in

*~Front Rotors and Pads-need replacing

P.S I'M A COLLEGE STUDENT which makes it very hard to fix all these things so don't flame on.....i also have a part time job where i only work on SAT AND SUN

*I've never knew that a civic was a high maintance sports car*
Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Money Pit **Tell me your side of the story** (blkegcoupe)

well when buying a car with 226,*** miles things start to go out. all those things you've listed are fairly easy fixes and not too costly. the hardest thing being a clutch which could take the better part of 3 hours. it's not like tdi beetles where the turbo has gone out 3 times in 150,*** miles. hondas are great reliable economy cars
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, that's wicked high mileage - although depends on who had it before you - or since you got it.

maybe original owner drove it like a baby for 200k+

you say you got mad and broke the sunroof? you don't beat the car when you drive it do you cause that can hurt an older car
Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Any car with 200, on the odometer will need stuff done to it. Just take into consideration you did not spend 5-10 grand on a car. That will make that list seem not too bad. Honda overall has been the best reliability car Ive ever owned over the last 14 years. Just be thankful most of that stuff is an easy fix. GL.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money pit? I bought an engine worth more than the KBB value of my car last year. I was a freshman in college, I'm obviously now a sophmore.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Haha. My civic is a money pit too. I bought it stock with 211k on it. Previous owners babied it like hell. Mostly commute, garaged, clean. Interior is in almost immaculate condition. [minus about 70% of the speakers in the car being blown.]

So I take it to my cousin's place down in so cal and we begin modding it out. After $600+ it had gained:
Coil overs for a nice drop $100 [cheap ones]
Foglights $70
Amber Corner lights $40
Mugen Lip (ABS) $70
Strut bar $60
SI Rims $300

My car was lookin so hawt I loved it x].
So I'm driving around and I notice a loud humming. The tires on the rims I bought have terrible wheel hum [walmart brand crap]. Great there's $360 for new tires [I'm shooting for Proxes 4's]. So I'm cruising back to so cal the next weekend flying down highway 99 at about 9 at night. I look ahead and there's a black blob with a white stripe in the middle of the lane and totally unavoidable. WHACK it gets sucked under my car and takes my lip with it. Stupid Skunk. Saddenned, I continue driving. I attempt to flick on my Foglights. I'm cruising and I smell something sizzlin. My wire harness for my foglights grounded soemwhere and completely melted the wires together. Great now I need a new harness and POSSIBLY new foglights. As I cruise I feel every bump on the god damn road [stupid black box coil overs].

Things fixed:
Type-r urethane lip [take that god damn skunks!] $70
New front bumper [with a home paint job that looks damn good] $60
Spoon Mirrors [Cause I wanted em :D] $40

I take it to a tune up center and have them check over my car and give it an oil change etc. They tell me my passenger axle boot is torn and they recommend the entire axle be replaced. Asking $215 for part and install [I'm gonna do it myself for $70. x] ] As I'm driving, I pay more attention to my temp gauge and notice it hasnt moved since I bought the car. [sorta lol] I pop out my gauge cluster to discover the previous owner broke the temp gauge needle off and taped it back on [LAME]. New gauge cluster for me! $70.

My car needs small fixes too. But it really is a money pit. =P
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I once hear a myth that if you had sex in your car, then it's most likely curse and will likely break down parts by parts, or be total sooner or later. It kinda superstiton, but my friend brother's timing belt broke on his gsr after he bang a chick in there and thing just kept on breaking down one after another until he spent almost as much as what he paid for car, then he finally gave up decided to sell the car. but its just just myth, maybe your car is curse after all
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Re: (halocore)

i second that myth.. i think its a FACT. after some sexual relations went down in my car, the next day.......... my tranny died!! and thenn i replaced it, and the axle wasnt in all the way, and my new gsr tranny died too!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:11 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

haha i never heard that myth before whoops**
Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blkegcoupe)

make sure when you buy a car you check it out completely, or have a certified mechanic check it out... High mileage cars are prone to things going out, since the wear and tear on them are increasingly high
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 AM

well i got the car at a great price at 1500 at 212xxx with a different motor and same tranny but it was the only i could get i needed after my maxima got wrecked
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, sounds normal to me....w/223K on the clock

I got some 6 g's with alot of work done by myself. The total would be alot higher if I paid a mech.

If you break it down it really is not that much.

I have had the car for 5 years, that is a little over a grand a year. That beats any payment plan for a new car.

All I have left is bearings and shocks to do, besides a paint job.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM

well i try to get everything fixed and done by myself but somethings are pita but yeah though its better than not having a car im pretty grateful
Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok your car is 14 years old and has 226,000 miles on it. and you think your not going to have to fix things. its called maintenance and its something you will have to do with every car you ever own. the older it is the more maintenance it will need. your options are either take car of the car or sell it. and walking sucks. and btw i have a sunroof if your interested. but other wise stop crying everyone here has to fix things that they wish they didnt.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM

~~~~WOAH~~~~DCSport chill the hell out i know its gonna need maintance but not everyone has money coming out of there *******, I try my best to fix my car and i take pride into it so don't come on this thread and make **** out of it just because you didn't like the previous posts. Im not crying I am taking it up the *** and repairing the parts that are going bad on it if you DIDN"T READ^^^^ first post, so go post something else, I am just trying to see if people can relate to my situtation other than that don't post in the thread if you don't like it
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Re: (halocore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by halocore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I once hear a myth that if you had sex in your car, then it's most likely curse and will likely break down parts by parts, or be total sooner or later. It kinda superstiton, but my friend brother's timing belt broke on his gsr after he bang a chick in there and thing just kept on breaking down one after another until he spent almost as much as what he paid for car, then he finally gave up decided to sell the car. but its just just myth, maybe your car is curse after all </TD></TR></TABLE>

false lol. ive put about 35k miles since my first time having sex in my eg without a single problem
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 AM

let's se I got my shell missing 80% of interior had dash doors craptastic front seats and clutster basically. Just had suspension work done on the car when I bought it - gave 600

got my b16 and tranny off a friend for 650
wiring harness 50
axles 100
ended up replacing plugs and wires twice due to 1 bad set - ~100
new to me center console, (tenzo seats all the way around), and rear panels - 200
mounts ~60 or so
wheels 100
exhaust 220
header 120
got my msd setup (before that dizzy took a **** at 150 and bought a new distributor for 100)
=================================
b16 spun rod bearing was nice traded my brother motor/tranny/axles for complete 5 speed z6 swap (axles not the greatest)

new clutch kit - 120
needs new water pump and timing belt to be safe lookin at about another 80-160

plus gotta get a different top timing side mount.

please keep bitching yours is a money pit.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Im still working on it zombie why the [freak] do people take so long to build such great [freak]ing cars don't be such a dick dude i got bills and no money whatever i have left over i use to fix my car its that or myself i don't have mom or dad to throw me some money towards my way you need to stop being so dick THIS IS JUST A F__IN THREAD FOR COMPARISION SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GET THE FUDGE OUT
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got bad luck like that too.
added intake, radiator hoses ripped
added catback, alternator went out
added HIDS, brake lights wouldnt turn off
added speakers, alternator took a dump agen
added coilovers, ball joint snapped
but its still good tough, i styll love my car
Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ya changed rotors and pads, now seized caliper
Old 09-05-2008, 04:21 PM

lol batallic we all take it up the *** haha but yeah thats weird was it a new alt that you put in?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rebuilt, thats what the shop sez
Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM

if they were telling the truth you have mystical luck lol
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you buy an old used car the first thing you do is a complete tune and fix anything thats worn before you start to mod it. And do it right sounds like alot of people here go cheap then they get mad when stuff breaks.

Cars cost money. just be glad youre not stuck with a 300+ car payment.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alphalanos)

hehehe.. yeah ask me about a money pit sometime. I have an 89 hatch with over 15,000 invested and I've only drove it about 10 miles, hehe.

Quick Reply: Money Pit **Tell me your side of the story**