Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-me swap, car doesnt idle right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Mini-me swap, car doesnt idle right!

Im gonna need some help from you guys.

-Car 97 Lx Civic.

I just did my mini-me swap yesterday y8/y7 block. All vacume hoses are connect to proper locations, but I have a problem w/ the IACV. From what I see is that I have 2 IACV's. 1 is located under the TB, and the other one is on the back of the manifold. I have searched for more info on re-wiring the IACV but im getting confused. I have tried to leave the IACV under the TB unplugged (3-wire plug) and connect only 2 wires to the one on the back of the manifold, leaving the orange wire out (because the one on the back of the manifold is a 2 wire plug). I found a good write up on how to do the IACV , but it doesnt tell me on which ECU it is. It says to move the black/blue wire from A14 to empty spot A12 n disconnect the A13 (orange). The car starts up but the idle goes up n down all the time. I think that my TB & my manifold are from automatic 96-00 civic, i think I need to get a manual TB to make it idle right.

Please let me know if im doing something wrong, help would be appreciated. Thanks

Here is a pic of the manifold n tb.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You got everything right so far.

What throttle body gasket are you using? You should be using a Y7 or Auto Y8 gasket if you are using that TB.

What year is your intake manifold? If its 99-00 than make sure you have plugged up the air injection holes located on the intake manifold flange.

Lastly, you cannot leave the TB IACV unplugged. You will have no idea if the air valve is open or closed, most likely it is open since your idle is looping.

If you have a manual Y8 throttle body, use this instead since it eliminates that TB IACV.

If you don't than here is a quick and dirty solution;

On the back of the TB IACV, the green sensor, remove the 2 phillips screws (they might be a little hard to take off, so make sure you use the correct size screwdriver so you dont strip the screw head)

Now pull off the whole green sensor.

You are now left with a cylindrical metal part that you can twist clock wise and counter clock wise, allowing air to pass through one way and blocks off air the other way.

You want the IACV to be closed so it does not allow air through. The easiest way for me was to find a piece of rubber hose that has an inner diameter slightly smaller than the cylinder. That way it will slide on to the cylinder and not slip off.

Slide the rubber hose all the way on until it cannot go any further. The rubber hose now creates a friction on the IACV housing which makes the cylinder stay in one position until you force it to turn.

Now reinstall your TB and start up your car. If the idle is still looping, reach to the back of the TB and slightly turn the rubber hose until it stops looping.

Hopefully this works for you. As usual I take no responsiblilty for any mishap for those who follow this DIY.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:14 PM

i got idle fixed now... but what ecu do i use now??? i have a p2p ecu , but i have to drill a knock sensor into the block. Can i run w/o that ???
Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 AM

anyone????
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine opion is to do a obd1 conversion and use the 2 wire iacv
here are some usefull links http://www.dodo-upgrades.nl/obd1swapd14a34.htm
and if you want to use an obd2 ecu and a 2 wire iavc http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgur...%3Dnl%26sa%3DN

hope these are usefull to you