Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-me starting problem possibly timing issue***

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-me starting problem possibly timing issue***

Okay so the setup is a D16Y7 block with a supposedly D16Y8 head but has a Z6 manifold. I got screwed by a fellow honda-tech member... but pretty much I got the head and block already assembled minus timing belt, crank pullley and a billion other small crap.

Anyways to the problem..
So I lined up the crank to TDC according to the gear and the mark on the front cover. Lined up the cam pulley with UP mark and left and right cam marks with the pointers on the timing belt cover. Installed timing belt and installed the motor. Started it up and got a weird cranking sound like my timing is off. Checked timing again and found that it was kinda off so I adjusted accordingly and did this over about 5 times moving the cam pulley 3 tooths back and fourth.

I checked compression and found cylinder #1 with about 95 psi and #3 with 65 psi. What does that mean? Timing off?

Finally I got it started once by gassing it while starting and it sounded like the timing was off and had it running for about 2 seconds then all of a sudden I hear a loud *clank* and the motor stopped. Looked like the timing belt jumped a tooth or something now the timing looks right on and sounds like the video attached below.

What else can I check? I checked firing order on distributor, advance/retard of timing, fouling of spark plugs, battery voltage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_vMJr6VcA

Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me starting problem possibly timing issue*** (ozzyman)

I'm lost....
Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the spark plug wires in the right firing order?

all grounds attached?

what t belt did you use?

most importantly that psi sounds really **** poor. The clanking sound maybe because you hit valves and bent some but i would assume that would read 0 psi.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the spark plug wires in the right firing order?

all grounds attached?

what t belt did you use?

most importantly that psi sounds really **** poor. The clanking sound maybe because you hit valves and bent some but i would assume that would read 0 psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spark plugs are in the correct firing order.. positive on that. 1342 start from left going clockwise on the distributor cap.

I dont think its bent valves because 1. I wouldnt have any compression and 2. I would have bent valves by just cranking it over.. even with bent valves it should still start up.

Anything else?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 PM

did you make sure rotor button is facing #1 on the dizzy cap....it could be like 180 out if not.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its really impossible to flip your dizzy the key is offset so you can tput it on backwards
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coupej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coupej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you make sure rotor button is facing #1 on the dizzy cap....it could be like 180 out if not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I took off the cap just to make sure that the rotor is facing #1.

So I started messing with the cam timing. I took the belt off and rotated the cam counter closewise 1 tooth and it sounded like it wanted to start again.. it will start if I give it gas. I kept rotating the cam counter clockwise 1 tooth at a time and tried to start it each time. It sounds ALOT better now but still wont start. It about 5 teeths rotated counter clockwise, should I start turning it the other way??
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ozzyman)

So I got it started. Since the camshaft rotates 180* for every full 360* turn of the crankshaft, I rotated the cam 180*. Timing still sounds off.. it starts up rough and idles rough. Advanced/retarded my camshaft one tooth each way and still runs rough. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

Are you throwing any cel's? Have you checked your ignition timing with a timing light?

Now that you have it running, i would do another compression test and see what readings you get now that all the valves are closing completely. I would just keep my fingers crossed and hope that none on the valves are bent.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoffer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you throwing any cel's? Have you checked your ignition timing with a timing light?

Now that you have it running, i would do another compression test and see what readings you get now that all the valves are closing completely. I would just keep my fingers crossed and hope that none on the valves are bent. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No CEL. I'm done for the day. I'm going to go pick up a timing light tomorrow and see where its at. If I'm a tooth off on my cam gear will my ignition timing be off? I'll do another compression test tomorrow as well. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate cars.