Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-me... bye bye :,(

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-me... bye bye :,(

UPDATE: pics on page 2

So I've been building this mini-me for fun and have been without a car for the last month and a half or so, and so far all that was realy done was geared tranny, Skunk2 Camgear, H22 throttle body, P2P pistons ground down .060 (60 thousandths) 12:1 CR brand new rod bearings, y8 headgasket JDM d15 header (and this was a 1.5 block with a z6 head)

well we had a meet yesterday and we were in downtown tulsa it was pretty fun then we decided to leave and go eat... me still babying the motor was not good for the freeway, everyone was smashign doing like 100mph so i dropped it from 5th to 3rd and took it to 5K then when I was shifting into 4th i accidentally went into 2nd yeah so you can only imagine what happened next... I look out the rear view and all I see is that $500 I put down 3 days ago for new rod bearings the pistons and soem other stuff flying out my exhaust, it was just ******* wonderful... so I coasted off the highway luckily there was still 1 car behind me that saw me hit my hazards, so they pulled off too, then when I finally stopped I popped the hood, and nothing but smoke, suprisingly there were no holes in the block, and it wasn't leaking oil so yeah... but I call AAA and have them come tow it $60 get to the shop and go to pull the spark plugs.... yeah that was a joke, could only get out the plug in #2 and the top end was fucked... pretty much flat, so then I go and start taking the valve cover off, there were pieces of the valve locks all over and I dropped a valve in all 4 cylinders, broke both springs on #2 exhaust side it was just fucked, so I go to take the head off, and well #1 cylinder ( valve melted to the piston) #2 (filled with antifreeze) #3 (MIA) #4 hole right on through it...

so now I'm basically fucked, my mom has been nice enough to give me a ride to work every morning for the last month + had the car for 3 days and now it's gone again... (i'm cursed )

so yeah go ahead flame me do whatever we all have done it before and if you haven;t then thats great but just be careful

Modified by EGRhatch at 3:12 PM 10/10/2004
Old 10-10-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (EGRhatch)

If you say it a certain way, cursed rhymes with stupid.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (rentacop)

this is true, I'll try to get some pictures of the damage...
Old 10-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(i'm cursed )

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your not cursed, you just need some practice shifting.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Electrician

You're not cursed. You don't have the will power to NOT get into temptation. Who cares if your buddies were doing 100. Stay behind and you'll eventually catch up. Why waste all that money in your motor and you KNOW you need to break it in first only to drop it a couple gears, THEN, mis-shift and blow it?

Your fault. No sympathy here.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (Chiovnidca)

really I think it's this shifter... I used to have a short shifter (came on the car when I bought it) then I had trouble getting into 3rd with it it would always grind, so I got rid of that one, and thought that this was a stock shifter, it was on one of the cars at the shop... come to find out this is also a short shifter... but yeah i do need to practice shifting...
Old 10-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

not looking for sympathy, just wanted to let everyone know what happened... hell I'll have a Z6 in tomorrow...
Old 10-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't blame the shifter captain cool
Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (thenick)

downshift to 3rd and then to 2nd...thats odd indeed...you know 4th is just straight down of 3rd not to the left down into 2nd. Welp i guess thats what happens when you build a high compression sohc. Ill give props to you though 12:1 cr sohc...thats good stuff i wonder how does it pull.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 AM

How in the hell do you miss 3rd from fifth and go into 2nd? I can maybe see going into 1st, or missing 4th and going into 2nd.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use H series throttle bodies on a D series engine??? I didnt know that
Old 10-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Electrician

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy ****. Very funny!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

1-2-3-2 = autocross anyone?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, that sucks mang. Might want to work on the shifting some.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGRhatch)

yea man that was real stupid ha. i have a friend who blew a type r turbo forgetting to shift ... he was an *** too. but good luck on ya next build lets see the pics when ur done.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: (pane93civhb)

Dumbass.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Electrician

I love how Honda-Tech loves to make people feel dumber than they already are. Home sweet home.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:52 AM
EK22snatch

Default Re: (Dimi)

well, im not trying to be an ***, but honestly... if youre gonna put all this wrench time and money into your engine, then go out and beat on it and forget to shift, then its totally your own stupidity at fault. i know you didnt blame anyone else, but really dude, dont waste your time on some fast engine... spend it on practicing shifting. oh yeah, and this is coming from a guy thats driven stick less than 100 miles probably and has a h22 swapped into his ek but hey, i know my limits and im not out beating the **** out of it.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** happens, get off his back. I bet everyone has done something as or more stupid (not referring to cars only).

BTW, I don't even know this guy, but there are dumbER things he could have done.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Electrician

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (senpai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senpai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** happens, get off his back. I bet everyone has done something as or more stupid (not referring to cars only).

BTW, I don't even know this guy, but there are dumbER things he could have done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I think building a motor and investing a good amount of money into it only to romp on it when he KNEW he wasn't supposed to and then blowing it pretty much sums up the dumbest thing he can do.

What do you think is dumber?

Old 10-10-2004, 11:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (Dimi)

yea.. thats was pretty dumb. That's what you get for having other people do your own work. Tow it to the shop.. yea.. shop kiddie
Old 10-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why waste all that money in your motor and you KNOW you need to break it in first only to drop it a couple gears, THEN, mis-shift and blow it?

Your fault. No sympathy here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

first off, a few times in vtec during the break-in period will probably not harm the motor at all. i've read many break-in theories and i do suggest being gentle for the first 1500 miles. however, it is the oil changes that amount to whether a motor has had a good break-in. a miss-shift is a miss-shift and people make mistakes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogfood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How in the hell do you miss 3rd from fifth and go into 2nd? I can maybe see going into 1st, or missing 4th and going into 2nd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

read more carefully. he went to third just fine. it was on his way to fourth gear that he went to second.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dumbass. </TD></TR></TABLE>

who's the dumbass now?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Throughout the past week this has been bugging me.
Is it spelled "used to" or "use to"?

Example: "I xxx to go to school there."

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK22snatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, im not trying to be an ***, but honestly... if youre gonna put all this wrench time and money into your engine, then go out and beat on it and forget to shift, then its totally your own stupidity at fault. </TD></TR></TABLE>

who said he forgot to shift?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, I think building a motor and investing a good amount of money into it only to romp on it when he KNEW he wasn't supposed to and then blowing it pretty much sums up the dumbest thing he can do.

What do you think is dumber?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

please read my response above about the comment that you made about breaking in a motor and whatnot. i'm sure there are dumber things that can be done. however, i don't see why it is that everyone is jumping on his case. i agree that what he did was dumb and i'm sure he KNOWS he did a dumb thing, but people make mistakes and he's letting people know of his mistake. JESUS CHRIST!!
Old 10-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini-me... bye bye :,( (yanta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yanta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea.. thats was pretty dumb. That's what you get for having other people do your own work. Tow it to the shop.. yea.. shop kiddie</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're saying that somehow the fact that he had another person put together his motor is somehow correlated with his mistakes he makes while driving? i don't understand how you're so ignorant and all high n' mighty because you work on your motor yourself.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my advice to you KIDD:

LIVE AND LET LEARN!!!

Quick Reply: Mini-me... bye bye :,(