Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me?

Had my car getting fixed,and decided to get car totally repainted.Painter told me that it would add $500 to my price of fixing it already,and that red is the most expensive color.The cost if a pretty good price but i just don't understand why he said that.Let me know.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (Skip01)

the reason he said that was red is a hard color to cover the primer. different colors dont require as much paint to cover the primer. just my 2 cents.

DaN
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mix Automotive paint where i work....just a few things to watch out for: There are different qualities of paint, PPG uses something called the OMNI line which is thinner than **** and generally a cheaper less durable paint. The cost of it is a hell of a lot less than the better Urethanes. Also Milano Red is a Tri coat...you spray the red, then a red tinted clear, then the actual clearcoat....there is a single stage replacement for this which will not have the depth of the tri coat. If you want it to look like the original i would ask for the original tri coat to be sprayed unless you are really pinching pennies in which case the single stage is still a nice color. And red is the most expensive paint because the tints used to make red paint take are more expensive....its a "rich color" i guess you could say therefore you pay more for it, thats life for ya though.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had my car getting fixed,and decided to get car totally repainted.Painter told me that it would add $500 to my price of fixing it already,and that red is the most expensive color.The cost if a pretty good price but i just don't understand why he said that.Let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was told the same exact thing, was skeptical such as yourself. In a way they might try to make a few extra offa you but somethin tells me that our milano red is an expensive coler...possibly why they were least made 99-00 Si and black was most. But iunnno
Old 11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone,i guess i'll just let him do it and see what comes out.thanks again.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

milano red is especially hard to match as the factory paints a slightly orangish red, then goes over it with a very transparent purple clear coat. If your clearcoat ever flakes off and you hold it to the light you will see the purple tint.

Just from my brief stint as a painter, red is more expensive because special formulas must be made that will resist fading. Other colors are not as suceptible to fading.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (SLeePeR012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly why they were least made 99-00 Si and black was most. But iunnno </TD></TR></TABLE>

Were they rerally?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (SexySI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SexySI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I mix Automotive paint where i work....just a few things to watch out for: There are different qualities of paint, PPG uses something called the OMNI line which is thinner than **** and generally a cheaper less durable paint. The cost of it is a hell of a lot less than the better Urethanes. Also Milano Red is a Tri coat...you spray the red, then a red tinted clear, then the actual clearcoat....there is a single stage replacement for this which will not have the depth of the tri coat. If you want it to look like the original i would ask for the original tri coat to be sprayed unless you are really pinching pennies in which case the single stage is still a nice color. And red is the most expensive paint because the tints used to make red paint take are more expensive....its a "rich color" i guess you could say therefore you pay more for it, thats life for ya though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly right.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:07 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (SLeePeR012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">possibly why they were least made 99-00 Si and black was most. But iunnno </TD></TR></TABLE>
I've read that there were equal numbers of all three colors produced for each year. 5,000 were made of each color for both years, for a total of 30,000 cars.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've read that there were equal numbers of all three colors produced for each year. 5,000 were made of each color for both years, for a total of 30,000 cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Please state your source, I was told by my Honda dealership, I had to ask about the colors cuz I got me a red one.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:55 AM

When i bought milano red paint from the automotive finish store around her they said red is more expensive than most to mix.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:07 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Please state your source, I was told by my Honda dealership, I had to ask about the colors cuz I got me a red one.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's just what I've read. Particularly on this forum. No idea whether it is true or not (you know how accurate things tend to be on internet message forums ).

Search around and you may find the posts, I know I've read it here several times.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Milano Red paint question,about what my painter told me? (Targa250R)

Well, i went the cheap way about doing my hood and fender and they turned out pretty good. I spent like 50 bucks all on spray cans and clear coat. I was probably better off purchasing the paint itself and spraying it on. Anyways, yeah Milano Red is a Tri coat paint, which blows. We used a orange based base coat sealer for a 94 Integra, then paint, then clear. That's where all the cha-ching goes. Now say it's a white color, which is probably the one of the cheapest colors, where you only have the base coat and clear coat. You wouldn't have to pay that much, but fade is an issue too.