Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts

Hey guys i just bought these...

I really need some nice lugs other than my oem ones. I want something that has a good security feature to them... I'm either looking at the whole mcgard set deal(i heard their heavy though) which comes with like 4 locks and such or just go all out and get the blue or black rays lugs. If anyone has any experience with either post it up. If theres any other locking lugs that i should consider please tell me.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts (VtecAddict96)

I know people have complained about strippin out the keys but im very happy w/ my koykougens, or how ever you spell it. Just dont over torque them.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts (BoostedGSRBubble)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedGSRBubble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know people have complained about strippin out the keys but im very happy w/ my koykougens, or how ever you spell it. Just dont over torque them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

kyokugens

i have those on my steelies...ready for better wheels soon
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Kyokugen SUCK!!!!

Yeah they are good until you strip em, and then when you do, you'll be hating it TRUST ME!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (vi-RoadSailing)

use antiseize with any aluminum (most any lightweight) lugnut

they all strip,
i've heard of rays nuts(yes the 100+ dollar lugnuts) breaking off while driving!

as with most things, theres a tradeoff,
if you pick up a lugnut, and if feels like air in your hand.. do you really think its
going to be as strong as one that feels like a rock in your hand????

c'mon,
regaurdless of brand, lightweight aluminum lugs are weaker than stock.
but they're super light and they look great!
Old 08-14-2004, 12:50 AM

rays
Old 08-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rays fo sho!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:47 AM

Really, who gives a **** if you have light weight lugs. C'mon. They are a waste of money on a daily driven car. Gorilla external drive, complete set (16 lugs all locking with special external drive key) That key never breaks. I've had the same set for ever.
30-40 at http://www.jcwhitney.com
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts (jdemone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdemone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rays </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm considering the rays lug nuts, because they're 7-sided and come in red. i just don't know if i want to pay $100+ for them yet. are their any cheaper alternatives that come in some kind of locking key and is red in color? can't seem to find any.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:19 AM

question what kinda wheels are those, anyways lug nuts wise this is what i would suggest a combo or skunk2 lugnut and skunk2 extended wheel stud.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:21 AM

question what kinda wheels are those, anyways lug nuts wise this is what i would suggest a combo or skunk2 lugnut and skunk2 extended wheel stud. if you need wheels locks though go for gorilla wheel lock, but the thing is if they really want your wheels and if they cant take those wheels off in a hurry they go take the whole car so that they can take there time
Old 08-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vi-RoadSailing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vi-RoadSailing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kyokugen SUCK!!!!

Yeah they are good until you strip em, and then when you do, you'll be hating it TRUST ME!</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly
a week ago i had to use bolt-offs from sears to get mine off
i had all 16 of my lugnuts strip and 2 lug keys also stripped

Skunk2 is where it's at
Old 08-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts (bigBOI_palooza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigBOI_palooza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">question what kinda wheels are those, anyways lug nuts wise this is what i would suggest a combo or skunk2 lugnut and skunk2 extended wheel stud. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Their volk racing ce28's...

Keep the comments coming guys i'm still confused does anyone know much about the mcgards? The weight inparticular?

Those skunk2 lugs look pretty damn ugly haha. Do the skunk2's have a good security feature to them. I think the mcgards are 1# so far.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got rays lugs very strong they are fordged.
one time the guy used an impact wrench on them and there was no damage
Old 08-14-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts (KingDsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingDsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really, who gives a **** if you have light weight lugs. C'mon. They are a waste of money on a daily driven car. Gorilla external drive, complete set (16 lugs all locking with special external drive key) That key never breaks. I've had the same set for ever.
30-40 at http://www.jcwhitney.com
</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice!!
im gonna get these
Old 08-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump cause i gotta decide what to get!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:56 AM

SPOON SON!
kyokugen & muteki suck mang had 3 sets of kykugen and 2 muteki the keys strip yea there only 40 bucks but i had to press in 3 studs cuz they stripped on the way off if your looking for light weight spoon is the way to go but its pricey at $140 and doesnt have a lock but doesnt strip ur ish... if someone wants the wheels they just gotta have the same lugs its a decision ya gotta make
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicsleepa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicsleepa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SPOON SON!
kyokugen & muteki suck mang had 3 sets of kykugen and 2 muteki the keys strip yea there only 40 bucks but i had to press in 3 studs cuz they stripped on the way off if your looking for light weight spoon is the way to go but its pricey at $140 and doesnt have a lock but doesnt strip ur ish... if someone wants the wheels they just gotta have the same lugs its a decision ya gotta make </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats too much if i spend that much i'm just going to get Rays, i still dont know if i should get the rays or the mcgards. Does anyone know how much the mcgards weigh?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VtecAddict96)

are you talking about mcguard spline drive lug nuts?
i was going to get those but my friend tried to see if a socket would fit in it and gess what. it did he was able to take them off with a socket so much for a wheel lock. he returned them.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you talking about mcguard spline drive lug nuts?
i was going to get those but my friend tried to see if a socket would fit in it and gess what. it did he was able to take them off with a socket so much for a wheel lock. he returned them. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I am talking about that kit yes...
http://store.summitracing.com/...06872

He was able to get the locking ones off with a regular socket? There are only 4 locking ones in the set, sure your not referring to the regular lugs that also come in the set?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.subydude.com/parts/details.php?40001
these right? he was able to get a socket over them.
im not sure i think each set has a diffrent spline pattern if so maybe my friend happen to get a set that was able to fit a socket over it possibly.
but in reality if they want ur wheels bad enough they would just steal your car.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kyokugen.... I have had them for over 2 years and i love them.....You can get them on e-bay for 40 shipped to any where in the u.s plus puerto rico ,hawaii alaska and , guam cant bet that ( thats the 20 piece set ) like someone in here posted use antiseize and use a torque wrench and you will be fine, i take my lugs off alot like once a month to rotate tires....
Old 08-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Rays nuts. My wheels go on and off every weekend swapping race wheels, I've never had a problem with them holding torque, deforming or getting damaged. Only problem I've had... replacement keys from mackin are a painful $28.

Buy them from EvasiveMotorsports on here... those guys get a big from me.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boilermaker1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boilermaker1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I love the Rays nuts. My wheels go on and off every weekend swapping race wheels, I've never had a problem with them holding torque, deforming or getting damaged. Only problem I've had... replacement keys from mackin are a painful $28.

Buy them from EvasiveMotorsports on here... those guys get a big from me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well damn thats what i'm afraid of i dont want to be buying replacement keys. For what reason and how often have you bought a replacement key?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll tell ya this i got rays lugs if u strip the key good god dont touch the wheels.
theres a notch in the key that fits over the lug looks like this on one side of the lug
|_| its cut on one side of the lug and the key has a notch that fits right in it. its near impossible to strip it. the people used an impact wrench to put my wheels on when i got home i had a really hard time to take them off. was torqued way over 80 foot pounds.

Quick Reply: Mcgards or Rays? or possibly other lug nuts