Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Map sensor questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Map sensor questions!!

I just got a 00' civic Si and it has a turbo kit on it but the turbo I guess doesnt work so I am taking it off and going back to almost stock except for cai, header/exhaust and intake manifold. So heres my question. It has a 3 bar map senser on it. Do I need to get a stock map for it to run/run properly or can I use the 3 bar? Also Idk how the car isnt stalling or anything bc nothing is even plugged into the 3 bar and I can't seem to find anything under there that would plug into it. Help would be awesome!!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Map sensor questions!!

Your turbo isn't "working" because you don't have the MAP sensor plugged in. What kind of MAP sensor do you have? Is your ECU tuned for it (and the turbo), or did you just decide to toss it in there?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant find the plug that goes into the map sensor. The map brand is a denso and from what the kid told me its a 3 bar.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and yes its tuned. P28 chrome tune
Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the plug should be coming from the same part of the harness as the TPS plug unless it was hacked off ?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Is it tuned for a 3 BAR map sensor, or a stock sensor? Just saying "it's tuned" means absolutely nothing.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You've got a lot of work ahead of you if you intend to just 'go back to stock'
It's not as simple as just pulling the turbo off and replacing your manifolds.
At least for an SI with the original B16A2.

You may want to reconsider your options before you start just pulling parts off.
First off, CHECK YOUR ECU YOURSELF.
Don't just go off of what the seller said, people lie.

If your still running the P2T ECU, you've been had, chances are if you don't make immediate chances, your going to blow some **** up very quickly.

If you are running a P28, double check to make sure everything else functions properly; from what you've outlined, the prior owner either didn't have an idea what he was doing or was lazy.

Do
More
Research

Last edited by purgat0ry; 07-04-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: I'm a shit poster.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is tuned for the 3 bar and everything else thats on the car. The tune came from a very well known local honda shop here so I KNOW the ecu and tune is good. Ive already pulled everything off. It is the original b16 motor. No internals have been done. Literally just a turbo kit that wasnt hooked up very good and 660cc injectors. Heres my question tho. I camt seem to locate the plug for the stock map sensor. Its like her re-wired it to go into the 3 bar that sits below the throttle body. Im not dumb. Just confused and need help.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a way to post photos on this thread? Im on my gs4 phone.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

imgur.com

Upload your image, use the bbcode link they give you to post the images.

If the PO used a GM 3 BAR, then yes, they would have had to rewire it. The wires are there somewhere - you just haven't looked hard enough yet. To answer your original question, if the ECU is tuned for the 3 BAR, then you need to keep the 3 BAR in there.

Why did you buy someone else's turbo project, given that it wasn't running correctly when you bought it, still isn't running correctly, and you seem completely ignorant to basic turbo stuff?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw, these are my symptoms that I was having. Car would 3 out of 5 times start and when it did it ran fine for awhile but would die while backing up, coming to a stop while putting the car into neutral and letting off the clutch or just wouldn't start and the battery would be dead and I'd have to get a jump or sometimes none of this would happem. I also didnt mention that this turbo was not working. He said it was locked up and not spooling and it wasnt. So im lost and what could be causing all this.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bc it was running great and I didnt buy the car. I traded a pos mustang for it. That's been wrecked. And im not ignorant I just am not knowledgeable to turbo cars. The stock ecu is still in the car so why would I need to keep the 3 bar hooked up and the tuned ecu plugged in if im not running a turbo?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

OK, I'm about ready to leave you to your own devices here if you can't answer some basic questions. You were asked if the car was tuned. You said yes. Now you're saying the car still has the stock ECU - that means it isn't tuned. You can't tune an OBD2B ECU. Either the car is tuned, or it's running the stock ECU - you can't have it both ways.

It doesn't matter if you have a turbo or not. All ECUs are set up to recognize the signal of a specific kind of MAP sensor, by percentage. If you toss a stock 1 BAR MAP sensor in without recalibrating the ECU for it, at .5 BAR, your ECU will think it's getting 1.5 BAR, because it's only being told "50%". 50% of 3 is 1.5. None of that really matters though, since you don't even seem to know what kind of ECU is in the car to begin with.

We're going to go back to step 1 here. I have a few very simple questions for you.

A) What is the ECU code? It's on a sticker on the side of the ECU.
B) Does the CEL work? It should come on for ~3 seconds when you turn the key to ON(II), then turn off.
C) If the CEL does work, and does not turn off, EXACTLY what codes are thrown?
D) What is the stamp on the engine? It's on the front, to the left, near where the clutch housing bolts to the block. It should be in the format of [letter][two digit number][letter][one digit number].
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I said the stock ecu is in the car. Not hooked up. So.
A)37820-p06-a02
740-333611 AUI

B)yes it works and turns off after 3 seconds and no codes are thrown. Even when I had everything hooked up and it was running.

D) im not sure where you're talking about. Is it directly under the b16a tab imprint?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A) So you have a non-vtec ECU in your car, running a vtec engine. Take the top off of it, take a picture, and post said picture. Let's find out if it was at least modified to properly run your car, or if this is yet another hack job.

B) At least that's a start, but with the MAP disconnected, it SHOULD be throwing a code. Is the 3 BAR sensor mounted to the TB, or the firewall? If it's mounted to the firewall, do you see a second MAP sensor (maybe the stock one) mounted to the TB?

D) No, it's not under the B16A mark, it is the B16A mark. An SI should have a B16A2 in it. What is the head code? It should be on the front of the head, between the EM runners.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't buy another man's unfinished project.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<a href="http://imgur.com/RGXTPhc" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/RGXTPhc.jpg</a>

B) the 3 bar is not mounted to either. Its hooked up but not mounted. Also, there is the (im pretty sure) stock map mounted to the tb but not plugged in.

D) it just says b16A but vin comes back as an si. And it is pr3-3
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http:// Name:  RGXTPhc.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  679.4 KB
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http:// Name:  Rwsracj.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  735.0 KB
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A) Miracle of miracles, the ECU appears to have been done correctly! Too bad we have absolutely no way of knowing what the tune was set up for...

B) **** me, your MAP sensor IS plugged in! That's why you aren't throwing a code. So, where is that vacuum line plumbed to?

D) So, your motor is a B16A, and was (at some point) swapped into the car. If I had to hazard a guess, I think it would be safe to say the PO blew up the original motor.

OK, so what reversal have you done so far? Have you removed the turbo and replaced it with a manifold yet?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the electrical tape in the second pic connected to? That box with a vac line?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's his damn MAP sensor. I'd recognize a GM 3 BAR anywhere.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thought so. It needs the plug rewired and tada
Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He said the tune was set up for the turbo and the 660cc injectors. I also have the stock injectors. I said the 3 bar is plugged in. But if im not running turbo I cant have the 3 bar in right? I have removed the turbo and all the piping for it and removed the turbo manifold and oil lines from the turbo to the oil pan. Still havent removed the small oil line that goes from the turbo to the back of the engine bc I cant find where it goes. I still have to cut right behind the flex pipe so I can get a flange welded in front of the cat for the header.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No turbo then use the stock map sensor. Stock ecu. Stock injectors.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The turbo oil feed should be coming from an oil filter sandwich plate. Remove the plate with the line and screw the oil filter on normal

Quick Reply: Map sensor questions!!