Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Main transmission shaft to large?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main transmission shaft to large?

Hi all I don't post much because most of the time I end up finding the answers to my own questions without having to bug people, but I had an input shaft bearing go out in my beater 94 civic hatch. When we got a new bearing the main shaft didn't fit. The bearing is an SKF explorer bearing from Argentina and the part number is 511070. The inside diamater of the bearing is 25 mm and the diamater of the main shaft is 26 mm. The transmission I think is the original from the civic cx hatch. It has a code p20 a000 in the circle near the axle. From parts websites it seems like the 25 mm is correct for that transmission which means perhaps the main shaft is damaged? I dont understand how it would be bulged out I would expect it to be warn down if it was damaged. It does look a bit scratched. So what do you think? Should we look for a different bearing that has a 26 mm inner diameter, or just get a new transmission? Where do I look for a new transmission if I need one?

Main shaft is a bit scratched.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Re: Main transmission shaft to large?

I’d just get a bearing that fits.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You have the wrong bearing. The factory part number is 91002-PHR-003 and the description states its internal diameter is 26mm.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:47 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Most of those bearings have one odd dimension and are hard to find in normal distribution channels, you either have to get them from Honda or from a place like synchrotech that specialize in Honda transmissions. They're pretty reasonable right from Honda honestly, get the seal that goes behind it as well. Btw all '92 - '00 D-series transmissions take the same input shaft bearing.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh hey thanks everybody. Sorry I didn't check this sooner. I thought I had a messed up shaft somehow. I ended up getting another used transmission on saturday from a d16y8 which is susposed to be a better transmission, but ill probably fix up the old one now and either keep it as a spare or sell it. However I also have a question about the d16y8 transmission. I opened it up and inspected it to make sure there weren't any problems. I tried shifting it without the case on and wasn't able to get into reverse unless I pulled down this little lever on a spring which is attached to the reverse selector arm. I assume this is a feature somehow but I'm finding it hard to find any information on how it works and what I need to do to make sure it works correctly. I may just replace it with the selector from my old transmission that does not have this little arm.

this is the arm I am talking about

The other side of the shift selector arm