Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lsd, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lsd, worth it?

Ive seen really really mixed reviews on this topic, so im i need some straight-foward opinions on this one, to figure out whether or not to invest in one myself.
Ive got a boosted d16y8, with stock internals & only tranny work being a short shifter, act clutch & streetlite flywheel. im planning to build the motor later, but a light build @ probably 250whp max. Im pushing about 200whp mark for now, so my question is lsd worth the investment? why or whynot?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: lsd, worth it? (sk8shorty012)

absolutely no negatives with LSD's, especially stock ones. Your simplest option would be an OBX for about 400 bucks. I've run several of them with great results. Corning, launches, etc, will all be increased. You will love it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lsd, worth it? (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">absolutely no negatives with LSD's, especially stock ones. Your simplest option would be an OBX for about 400 bucks. I've run several of them with great results. Corning, launches, etc, will all be increased. You will love it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree 100% i love my phantom grip!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the only d-series tranny that came with an lsd is the jdm d15? can just the lsd bolt into my d16y8 tranny? or do I need to do a tranny swap?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: lsd, worth it? (delsoldrew)

STAY AWAY FROM THE OBX I WARN YOU. I have seen to many cause probelms to the axles they are junk you wont be able to get your axle out if you ever change it and is not worth it for the hastle it will cause if your going to do lsd do it right and dont go with a cheap knock off. phantom grip quaiffe spoon kazz are great lsd's and are known for great performance. oem is good too.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I missed the boat

Default Re: lsd, worth it? (EM1_00MRBuilt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1_00MRBuilt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">STAY AWAY FROM THE OBX I WARN YOU. I have seen to many cause probelms to the axles they are junk you wont be able to get your axle out if you ever change it and is not worth it for the hastle it will cause if your going to do lsd do it right and dont go with a cheap knock off. phantom grip quaiffe spoon kazz are great lsd's and are known for great performance. oem is good too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personal experience or just friend of a friend? I have seen plenty of these in use (AutoX, drag, etc.) and have yet to see anyone have a problem. Not trying to argue just want to hear all different perspectives.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: lsd, worth it? (5 Skware)

These are real life experiences i have seen three go to **** they are made with cheaper material(that is why they are only 400 new to any other brand 800 is the cheapest) Have one of your friends try to change his axle see if he can get it out. But dont listen to me go with obx if you want but it is at your risk not mine. You get what you pay for. And try getting obx to replace it. It wont happen they wont replace it they will tell you that you installed it wrong and that there products are golden, there products are horseshit. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: lsd, worth it? (EM1_00MRBuilt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EM1_00MRBuilt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">STAY AWAY FROM THE OBX I WARN YOU. I have seen to many cause probelms to the axles they are junk you wont be able to get your axle out if you ever change it and is not worth it for the hastle it will cause if your going to do lsd do it right and dont go with a cheap knock off. phantom grip quaiffe spoon kazz are great lsd's and are known for great performance. oem is good too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this bag of ********* here.

First off, Phanton Grip is NOT an lsd, rather a spring which loads up the spider gears and does not allow normal "open diff operation". OBX is great. My old D16Z6 tranny with 4.9FD and OBX LSD just won the first Northwest Honda Challenege in his class with this tranny....but then again, it is a bunk unit, so what do I know. I've also used this diff in at LEAST 4 other trannies...B16, LS, and D series, all with GREAT luck. Quality control is not the best, but for 400 bucks I'll double check torque on the bolts all day long. Zero problems with pulling axles out FIRST HAND. I don't work with OBX, I just hate when people bash a product without using it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what oem lsd's are avaliable for my car?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: lsd, worth it? (Evs-One)

Dude did you not see the part when i said that i have seen this in real life? I wouldnt bash the product if i didnt no anything about this, or after sitting on the phone with obx listening to all there horseshit about not knowing how to install the lsd. Im glad to see your positives with this lsd, Ive seen nothing but negatives from it myself and there customer service is horrible ask any other expert and see what there opinion is. You get what you pay for dont expect much from a cheap lsd just like there cams garbage in my book
Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sigh, thanks for turning this into another retarded arguement thread, alright EM1_00MRBuilt, youve made your point that OBX, sucks, ill take it into consideration, but thats why I asked what oem lsd's are avaliable for my car?

dont be an *** and thread jack.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

The only thing I can say is that LSD is worth every penny.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 PM

sorry dude just had to get the point across, im not to sure many oems are availble for you d-series beside the jdm one.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Yea OBX FTL friends axle was STUCK in his hatch had to swap trannies boo
Old 06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then ill probably go with the oem one from the jdm d15, since quaife is out of my budget for now & it sounds like it good investment, so thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM

np not sure if the d15 lsd will bolt up to d16 ive not had to many run ins with d-series but i will double check for you tommorow when i stop by the shop here.
Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Cigarette Squad

Default Re: (EM1_00MRBuilt)

yeah it will the d16z6 is basically the d15b but doesnt have the more agressive cams..umm when i ordered my d15b from hmotors online.. they only wanted 150$ extra for the lsd tranny so he told me to call him back if i ever need it "i didnt have enough then" but shouldnt be too much plus is jdm yo!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: (McGeeTM)

bump for lsd no more 1 wheel burn outs
Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll never run another car with out LSD i love it
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: (JDM_EK_621)

I heard OBX possably redesigned their LSD to fix the problem of axles getting stuck, anyone else hear of this? I'm really sick of driving this one wheel wonder
Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (wakeboard_dude5)

here we go again with another obx lsd thread

[b]bottom line: it's a piece of **** copy of the quaife. yes, it's a lot cheaper, but chances are, it will expletive up and you will have to take it apart, and you will wish that you spent a little more on the quaife.

the are assembled in sweat shops in china that have no quality control, some people get good units, some people get fucked up units. i would never run one without taking it apart and putting it back together the correct way.

have fun shimming! Cause it's too wide, and there's no shims that are thin enough to accomodate the piece of ****. Think you can overlook this problem? hatchback96 kid on d-series even had his diff machined so that it fit the clearances correctly. Somehow all his bearings were destroyed.

a nice clean magnet..

have fun:
http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=18501

Or if you're like mean, and figure that it's not worth going through several hours of work of something that might work and might not. You'll realize that maybe the $880 for the quaife with a lifetime warranty isn't such a bad deal. ANY problems with the quaife and they give you a new one.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here we go again with another obx lsd thread

[b]bottom line: it's a piece of **** copy of the quaife. yes, it's a lot cheaper, but chances are, it will expletive up and you will have to take it apart, and you will wish that you spent a little more on the quaife.

the are assembled in sweat shops in china that have no quality control, some people get good units, some people get fucked up units. i would never run one without taking it apart and putting it back together the correct way.

have fun shimming! Cause it's too wide, and there's no shims that are thin enough to accomodate the piece of ****. Think you can overlook this problem? hatchback96 kid on d-series even had his diff machined so that it fit the clearances correctly. Somehow all his bearings were destroyed.

a nice clean magnet..

have fun:
http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=18501

Or if you're like mean, and figure that it's not worth going through several hours of work of something that might work and might not. You'll realize that maybe the $880 for the quaife with a lifetime warranty isn't such a bad deal. ANY problems with the quaife and they give you a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HMMM he has his BEARINGS ON BACKWARDS.

Also as far as the axle issue, make sure the splines are beveled in there so the clip can get in and out of the lsd easily
Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (Bense)

Dude bense thank you for that i was about to get a whole bunch of pics to prove these guys wrong bottom line obx is garbage always was always will be, try contacting them for help i was on the line with them for over a hour and acomplished nothing and thanks for the clarification on the d15b lsd to op you should stick with oem lsd
Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EM1_00MRBuilt)

yea the obx lsd was revised and it is now bevelled so the axles can be removed easier, not trying to start a fight or argument just stating facts...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

yes, that's true, but the shimming issue is still there

Quick Reply: lsd, worth it?