Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

To ls/vtec or not to ls/vtec that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To ls/vtec or not to ls/vtec that is the question

I have a tired ls/vtec engine in my garage. Is it worth spending the cash on the rods and pistons if it doesnt have all the additional lower end oiling? Should i try and find a gsr bottom end sans head and put my B16 one on it? Any help would be awsome.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: To ls/vtec or not to ls/vtec that is the question (Lord Milferdeen)

how much are you looking to spend on this project?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To ls/vtec or not to ls/vtec that is the question (Lord Milferdeen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Milferdeen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a tired ls/vtec engine in my garage. Is it worth spending the cash on the rods and pistons if it doesnt have all the additional lower end oiling? Should i try and find a gsr bottom end sans head and put my B16 one on it? Any help would be awsome.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just get the rods and piston......you'll prob spend about the same amount trying to get a stock GSR block...you'll get a bit more torque with the LSVTEC...so i think you should just do that..
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To ls/vtec or not to ls/vtec that is the question (B18CivicEg)

rebuild. i'd prefer a ls/vtec over a gsr.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 AM

are you going to boost are go all motor
Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 AM

unless you plan on doing it 110% and get the best parts, that motor is a waste. gs-r is more reliable than the ls/vtec. you want problems or you want reliablity? im positive of this because i have built a ls/vtec and cr/vtec.. im telling you..its a headache. its fun until the ****** blows up.putting a b16a head on a gs-r would work,but you wont have the power of a gs-r head being on it so to me thats a waste too. the combustion chambers are different.. just do like me. i have a jdm b16a with ALOT of itr ****. it makes good power and is constant 13's all motor with NO spray. it does the job and its reliable. trust me on this. get a b16 shortblock,and call it a day.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bradb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bradb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you going to boost are go all motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

what ever path you go, like said, i think LSVTEC is a better way to go...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmdelsolsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmdelsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you plan on doing it 110% and get the best parts, that motor is a waste. gs-r is more reliable than the ls/vtec. you want problems or you want reliablity? im positive of this because i have built a ls/vtec and cr/vtec.. im telling you..its a headache. its fun until the ****** blows up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...dont start with the "LSVTEC isnt reliable" BS....apparantly you didnt know how to built it...thats why it blew up..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmdelsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">putting a b16a head on a gs-r would work,but you wont have the power of a gs-r head being on it so to me thats a waste too. the combustion chambers are different.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want to do GSR block and B16 Head (Poorman's Type R) all you need to do is get higher compression pistons and problem solved...

to the OP:
just make sure you do it right and you should have nothing to worry about...
use this as your guide and MAKE SURE, you do all your maintance on time or even better to do it earlier then usual....GL..
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=2
Old 02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

I want some good torque and horsepower but i really dont want to have to worry about reliability. Im looking for a solid all motor setup. Boost i think would be alot more unreliable.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lord Milferdeen)

make sure you get it tuned by someone knoledgeable and you should be good...
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol...dont start with the "LSVTEC isnt reliable" BS....apparantly you didnt know how to built it...thats why it blew up..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is the problem these days. People are just slaping on a Vtec head to thier stock high mile ls block and then bitch why it didnt work well.

Do it right and there wont be any issues.

Now put that bitch together and lets ROLL biotch

ps ..... its about effing time you signed up milf
Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nitekidsef9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitekidsef9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is the problem these days. People are just slaping on a Vtec head to thier stock high mile ls block and then bitch why it didnt work well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

youknowwhatimsayin'
Old 02-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jdmdelsolsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmdelsolsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you plan on doing it 110% and get the best parts, that motor is a waste. gs-r is more reliable than the ls/vtec. you want problems or you want reliablity? im positive of this because i have built a ls/vtec and cr/vtec.. im telling you..its a headache. its fun until the ****** blows up.putting a b16a head on a gs-r would work,but you wont have the power of a gs-r head being on it so to me thats a waste too. the combustion chambers are different.. just do like me. i have a jdm b16a with ALOT of itr ****. it makes good power and is constant 13's all motor with NO spray. it does the job and its reliable. trust me on this. get a b16 shortblock,and call it a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha red_90teg. hahaa ohh god. Yeah thanks g i thought it was about time to. This forum is definatly helping me make a solid decision. I appretiate all the the input.