Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowering springs on stock schocks..it takes time to gradually drop???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs on stock schocks..it takes time to gradually drop???

sup guys....i bought some lowering springs from this guy, and he told me that the drop was 2.5 on front and 2.3 on back..but when i put them on my stock schocks and installed them, it barely dropped.......would car eventually dropp more, due to the stock shocks...or did i simply got lied too about the drop????
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Lowering springs on stock schocks..it takes time to gradually drop???

1-What springs? Ebay?
2-Don't lower that much on stock shocks. They'll blow pretty soon.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering springs on stock schocks..it takes time to gradually drop???

i bought them from a guy on craigslist lol...they supposevly are dropzones.....so the stock shocks wont give the springs their meant to be dropp or what?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by michjdm
sup guys....i bought some lowering springs from this guy, and he told me that the drop was 2.5 on front and 2.3 on back..but when i put them on my stock schocks and installed them, it barely dropped.......would car eventually dropp more, due to the stock shocks...or did i simply got lied too about the drop????
Did you torque the bushing bolts with the suspension unloaded or loaded?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=mcvtec;44845852]Did you torque the bushing bolts with the suspension unloaded or loaded?

sorry im not really an expert..can you ask your question in simpler terms?? ahaha...i took out my whole stock suspension and took it to the auto shop so they could take out the stock springs, and put the lowering ones i bought..
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He means when you installed the suspention did you jack up the suspention so the wheel would sit at ride height then tighten the bolts? or did you just bolt them to the lca in the air.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm im gonna try to give my best answer to that......so after i got the suspension from the shop with the now installed lowering springs...i just jacked up my car, put the "ramp" things to hold the car, took the wheel out...took the old suspension out that i had (cheap bouncy coilovers) and i put the new suspension in...i installed everything accordingly, and then i put the wheels on again ( in the air, meaning you could spin them)...that was for the rear ones, i did the same to the front suspension....somewhat good answer?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, you need to leave the bolts loosened, put the wheel on, use you jack and jack on the lca/knuckle till the top of the tire is at close to ride height then tighten all the bolts. If you do not do this it will twist and ruin your bushings, it could be a reason why your car isnt as low as it should be, another reason is the guy lied. look on google and see what they should lower the car.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how many finger wheel gap do you have? meaning how many fingers can you put between the tire and the fender/quarter panel with the car on the ground.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Resident Gearhead

If you don't do this, the vehicle can be suspended higher than it should be, until the bushings rip.

Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec
If you don't do this, the vehicle can be suspended higher than it should be, until the bushings rip.

hey mcvtec is that from the manual or the program all data? >.>..just wondering
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicsmoke
how many finger wheel gap do you have? meaning how many fingers can you put between the tire and the fender/quarter panel with the car on the ground.
well right now, both front and back have a two finger gap....wait so let me get this straight....before i bolt and tightend any bushing i have to put the wheel back and drop the car...and then raise it up again and tighten everything up?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Resident Gearhead

Originally Posted by yourboyluigi09
hey mcvtec is that from the manual or the program all data? >.>..just wondering
Those are screenshots from a factory service manual pdf for '92-'95 Civics.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no you need to use another jack, and jack up the wheel (while car is jacked up) to about ride hieght. tighten all the bolts then remove the wheel jack then the car jack. correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
no you need to use another jack, and jack up the wheel (while car is jacked up) to about ride hieght. tighten all the bolts then remove the wheel jack then the car jack. correct me if im wrong.
thats what i did exactly...but thats only for othe rear ones...and for the front ones, i had to ask someone to step on the whole thing, so i could cross over the big screw that connects the lca with the "downward V" thing lol..after that i just bolted the wheel on and dropped it..
Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm im gonna try to give my best answer to that......so after i got the suspension from the shop with the now installed lowering springs...i just jacked up my car, put the "ramp" things to hold the car, took the wheel out...took the old suspension out that i had (cheap bouncy coilovers) and i put the new suspension in...i installed everything accordingly, and then i put the wheels on again ( in the air, meaning you could spin them)...that was for the rear ones, i did the same to the front suspension....somewhat good answer?
if you had a lowered suspension before, your probably not going to notice any ride height difference...just a thought.

Last edited by ekblackcoupe; 03-13-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well dropzones do drop around 2.5 front 2.25 rear, he prolly just lied to u