Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering question

Hi, I just had a general question about lowering your car. Do you need just lowering springs or are the struts and shocks very necessary. I heard if all you do is put springs on the car it will be real bouncy when you go over bumps. So if I wanted to lower my car and not have it all bouncy what parts would I have to get.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering question (kgrules12)

Not sure if this is a real question, but in order to lower your car you need shorter springs, and either OEM shocks or aftermarket shocks. Some people go with adjustable coilovers which allow them to get the "look" they want. Eibach, H&R, Tien all make good lowering springs. Do a search for the subject or check out the Suspension forum.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:38 PM
BANNED

Default Re: lowering question (turner7205)

nono
if you get springs the shocks should last for a while but it is reccomended to upgrade incase it does blow over time. they would probably last a year or 2
i had springs on stock shocks and the ride was very firm and stiff
Old 02-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering question (namezIRL)

Stock struts with mild lowering springs work just fine. My H&Rs ride very firm.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its true must OEM or original shock/strut has alot of miles on it so they are pretty much on thier last leg.
You dont have to change the shock/strut but it is better to have it change to a better one like a performance one while you are at it.

A couple of ways you can enjoy your height drop without sacrifice too much comfort.
One is that you get an Ajustable coilover set like the GroundControl unit or skunk2
so you can ajust the heigh up and down as you wish.
I use to run ground control on my stock original shocks and they work great. Not too bouncy if you installed correctly.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:46 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering question (HATCHingMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HATCHingMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use to run ground control on my stock original shocks and they work great. Not too bouncy if you installed correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE> A completly honest question, how do you install them correctly? Do you mean like do the job correct, line everything up or do you mean get new parts?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering question (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A completly honest question, how do you install them correctly? Do you mean like do the job correct, line everything up or do you mean get new parts? </TD></TR></TABLE>
pay attention to details that's what I mean.
Make sure you put every nut,bolt, and washer in it't correct order. Replace the damage or wormout parts and tighten all nut and bolt to it's correct torque spec.

Dont forget to cut the correct amount of the bumpstop rubber off.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM

i own a del sol, i dont wanna look like im drving a 4x4 anymore, what exact type of springs do i buy?? i dont wanna buy some springs and have them too high still...ill be on paved roads only so i guess i can go pretty low!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

Just research a few sets of springs. Eibach Sportline is a pretty good drop (1.8" all the way around). You will not have too much a problem with scraping or bottoming out but it will still be a waaaay better look.

And for those of you who are saying that you don't need to worry about aftermarket shocks when you lower are wrong, and that is bad advise to give someone. You need to do things right the first time so you don't have to do it later. Do you even know what a blown shock feels like?? I was lowered on Sportlines for two months with stock shocks. I couldn't go over the speedbumps at school without bottoming out no matter how slow I went. Now that I replaced them with KYB's I NEVER bottom out. When it comes to modding out your car, please do things the way they are supposed to be done or be prepared to spend more money than you need to.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i own a del sol, i dont wanna look like im drving a 4x4 anymore, what exact type of springs do i buy?? i dont wanna buy some springs and have them too high still...ill be on paved roads only so i guess i can go pretty low!</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you just want a lowering spring, get a set of H&R Race or Neuspeed Race springs. They will lower your car nicely, but you may need to upgrade your shocks because they might not be able to handle the drop. I believe these springs lower 2.5" in the front and 2.2" in the rear. If you want coilovers, go with something like Ground Control, but you will definitely need to upgrade your shocks to run these. I have the Ground Controls with KYB AGX, but I am even considering upgrading the shocks to Koni yellows because the ride isn't that great with the AGX's. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:19 PM

Hey thanks, I think I have a general idea of what i need to get now.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get tein suspension.....perfect and handles good
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (electronbluehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electronbluehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get tein suspension.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea get tein if you want some "jdm bling".. but doesnt seem like your willing to spend that much ..

- setting a budget helps .. but it will probably be broken .. i say replace the shocks/struts with Kyb AGX or Koni "yellers" .. (currently im running neuspeed race with Konis and i love it).. h&r and neuspeed race are pretty much the same thing .. i say if you wanna spend around 700-800$$ get konis w/ ground controls.. if your in the 400-500$$ range you could get kyb AGX's w/ neuspeed/h&r race.. do some searching youll find more info about each setup