Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas?

This is an unconventional request, since its not related to making the car handle or slamming it for show.

I want to lower my 2000 civic by 1" (or even .75" will do) in order to increase fuel efficiency at highway speeds. I've done a few other (free or cheap) fuel efficiency mods already and found out that lowering is a proven way to boost fuel efficiency.

However, its a commuter car, not a race car, and I want it to ride as much like stock as possible.

Now most folks would say go with brand x lowering springs, but I know that those are stiffer than stock, and they are made to lower by more than 1", and such springs would destroy my OEM shocks within a few months.

So with lowering springs ruled out, I'm wondering about shocks with different spring perch points, or even modifying oem shock spring perches somehow.

Any ideas or experience are appreciated, but please dont bother flaming me for not trying to make my automatic civic a racer or show car. I am trying to reach a goal of over 40mpg without the expense of swapping the tranny etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (fireant)

the only way i believe that this will work is you can drop the strut into the fork deeper but that can only be done on the front.

OR

somehow modify some extended top hats and it will move your whole shock body up by an inch or so.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H&R sells an 'OE' spring that lowers the car .75 - 1". That should be fine with stock shocks.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the only way i believe that this will work is you can drop the strut into the fork deeper but that can only be done on the front.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this to add shock travel on my CRX. I think the perch is welded onto the shock body on OEM. I like free ideas, though! Thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H&R sells an 'OE' spring that lowers the car .75 - 1". That should be fine with stock shocks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, I didnt know about those. Do you think the decreased travel will shorten shock life?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM

I've had h&r' sport springs on my civic for about 10 months now....like a 1.5-1.75 inch drop on stock suspension...ride didnt really change and have yet to blow out the struts...they make good stuff
Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dropping the fork points is the only way.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fireant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you, I didnt know about those. Do you think the decreased travel will shorten shock life?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could easily, and totally, compensate for the 1" with extended "top hats".

I'm about to do this on my '93 to try to squeeze a few more MPG.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where do you get extended top hats
Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You make them
Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni yellows have a lower perch setting you can use. I think it's one inch from stock.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Meoshe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Meoshe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni yellows have a lower perch setting you can use. I think it's one inch from stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, Ive been really happy with the Yellows on the CRX. I might just put them on the civic...though I'm hoping to find a cheaper shock that can do the same trick with snap-rings.

The DIY upper mounts might be the other best solution... between those and angle-iron bookshelves, I've got a pretty good excuse to buy a welding rig.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use after market struts on te stock spring
Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

lowering your car, even if you don't change the springs..

will change the ride behavior.

the cheapest option is lowering springs... buy a used/new set of eibach pro-kits or H&R OE Sport or tien H-Techs

-----------

if you are willing to spend more...

a new set of dampers will also do the same thing... but they need to be dampers with adjustable spring perches..

The only one i know of with adjustable spring perches is the Koni Sport (Yellow) dampers. about 450ish new shipped from ppl here on ht

====================EDIT==================
I don't think the DIY upper mount will do anything to your ride height.

Because the shock tower hole diameter is only big enough to fit the shock, not the spring.

The DIY upper mount was something a member came up with in response to increasing damper piston travel - just like the GC ones that only work with koni dampers.

it was not made to lower the car &gt;___&gt;

=========================================

other ways to increase your FE, is to make a under body diffuser plate(s) and put a wheel skirt on your rear wheels...

also light weight wheels, and getting rid of the spare... carry a can of fix a flat...
and other weight saving things... like getting rid of your back seat, etc..

Modified by bpr0422 at 9:05 PM 4/1/2008
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (bpr0422)

just go get you som GC coils they drop from like .5 to 4.0 inches there only about $80 more than some neuspeed springs
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's another idea... see if you can find yourself some drop spindles... i have no idea if theyre even available for a civic, but it was relatively easy to install on my friends S10. if you can get ahold of some of those, itd be pretty sweet, not to mention it wouldnt have any effects on your alignment which can also decrease your mpg's.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I know it's greater than the drop you're looking for, but I've had S-Techs for over two years with no problems with shocks at all.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM

go rice and chop em
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

Dish out $160 or less for Tein S-techs. They lower your car only enough to reduce the fender wheel gap but also leave you enough room to prevent scraping on speed bumps. I believe its like 1.3" and 1.7" drop? Its barely anything. Rides smooth like stock, but is a bit stiffer and feels a lot better.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1990 crx dx b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1990 crx dx b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dish out $160 or less for Tein S-techs. They lower your car only enough to reduce the fender wheel gap but also leave you enough room to prevent scraping on speed bumps. I believe its like 1.3" and 1.7" drop? Its barely anything. Rides smooth like stock, but is a bit stiffer and feels a lot better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

S-Techs are too low, and the higher rate is not compatible with OEM shocks for very long.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
go rice and chop em </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL... I could go insane and torch'em too.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Re: (fireant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fireant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

S-Techs are too low, and the higher rate is not compatible with OEM shocks for very long.

LOL... I could go insane and torch'em too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

S-Techs too low? lol. wow. I know ebay has other makes that only lower .7".
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, I didnt know about those. Do you think the decreased travel will shorten shock life?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Barely. 1" wont do much and should have been figured into the original shock choice for load ratings etc. Youll have a tiny bit firmer ride and handling.

Also im sure you know this but keeping your tires overinflated a little helps a ton on mileage and it also improves performance, but doest stiffen the ride a small amount. But nothing crazy. Narrower tires also can help but that detracts from handling and braking and IMO wouldnt be worth the small gas savings.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Barely. 1" wont do much and should have been figured into the original shock choice for load ratings etc. Youll have a tiny bit firmer ride and handling.

Also im sure you know this but keeping your tires overinflated a little helps a ton on mileage and it also improves performance, but doest stiffen the ride a small amount. But nothing crazy. Narrower tires also can help but that detracts from handling and braking and IMO wouldnt be worth the small gas savings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

H&R OEs are looking like the best fit for what I am looking for.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (bpr0422)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpr0422 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
====================EDIT==================
I don't think the DIY upper mount will do anything to your ride height.

Because the shock tower hole diameter is only big enough to fit the shock, not the spring.

The DIY upper mount was something a member came up with in response to increasing damper piston travel - just like the GC ones that only work with koni dampers.

it was not made to lower the car &gt;___&gt;

=========================================

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're confused bro - none of us ever said it was to lower the car. We said that after he lowers the car, he can get or make extended "top hats" to regain whatever strut-piston movement he will lose with the drop. Especially if he only goes with a 1" drop, it will be a perfect scenario to use the extended upper mounts.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My fellow Bastropian LOL. Yes, I read what you wrote, but I wouldn't risk too much safety for fuel economy. Modifying a suspension like that couldn't have a good turnout. Personally, I'd look for a used Eibach Pro-kit or those S-techs. They're cheap and comfy. They give a minimal drop. For my 89 hatch DD, I got a set of GR2 KYBs (OE replacements) and I'm saving for S-Techs. Shocks should be fine bacause I don't drive it like a bat out of hell.... that's what my 99 is for
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas? (D50boy)

I daily drive my EK and thrash the hell out of my CRX on weekends.

I've got to assemble and install a D16A6 in April-May, so I'll probably wait till after that to lower the civic and get an alignment.

Quick Reply: lowering the car but keeping stock springs, any ideas?