Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LOWER TIE-BAR (Front and Rear) how is it???? good idea???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOWER TIE-BAR (Front and Rear) how is it???? good idea???

Hey guys what's up, nuff respect. I would like to get front and rear lower tie-bars, are these a good idea? I think they are a good idea but i am not sure if i will have a clearance issue with the front lower tie-bar, scared it may scrape the ground.

Are these parts hard to install??
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (Front and Rear) how is it???? good idea??? (Rayz_Si)

oh yes one more thing, should there abe any problems i should expect to encounter?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (Front and Rear) how is it???? good idea??? (Rayz_Si)

save the dough and get a rear sway bar + reinforcement kit.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (BrokeAssPinoy)

tie bars dont really serve a purpose. i would get upper strut bars before tie bars and get a rear sway before the strut bars. ties are much more beneficial if they help reinforce a sway bar. good designs for that would the ASR kit or comptech
Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (ek4d00r)

tie bars=bling
Old 03-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (usdmEFboy)

like usdmefboy said...its all for looks..IMO i doubt they serve a purpose...i say save your money for a good sway bar setup...if you wanna see a difference in handling...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (SLoWpOkECiViC)

http://www.acuraautomotivepart...y.jsp

part # 5 is the oem lower tie bar. if you have a 99-00 si you might already have it but if not it comes on the integra. it mounts on top of the engine cradle so it wont drag the ground.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (5THGENSI)

anyway that link dont work just go to http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.com and look up 94-01 integra gsr engine mount and look at part # 5. I looked up a 95 gsr if it matters. anyway, hope this helps
Old 03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5thgen SI thanks for your help i found the site, and founr the part. Yikes if it's up there!!! That looks like i gotta drop the whole subframe assembly possibly to get to that! The steering rack must e right in that area too so im' assuming space is very tight.

Honeslty I do not or nevr heard of anyone putting a front lower tie-bar on, so I really had no clue how much work it's gonna take, but it looks like alot.

Tie-bars BLING! Yeah they really do look wicked from the back. But I guess they should be functional also of coarse. Last time If i am not right, my 1996 EX has a rear swaybar, but I could be wrong. If my car does have a swaybar, then therefore rear tie-bar will be serving a purpose then. As EK4DOOR stated:TIE-BARS ARE MUCH MORE BENIFICIAL IF THEY HELP REINFORCE A SWAYBAR.I JUST CHECKED MAJESTIC HONDA autoparts, looked up rear control arm, got the diagram. IT SHOWS A REAR SWAYBAR!

Wait a minute! If it's a factory setup, will the tie-bar be re-inforcing the swaybar still or is it only on those hot SRR rear-sway setups?

Old 03-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (Rayz_Si)

Pretty sure only SiR/USDM Si has the OEM sway bars. But the rear is ready for sway bars, pre-drilled. The front you have to change the forks or something.

I know for sure that the ASR one acts as a tie bar and reinforces the subframe for the rear sway bar, but I am not sure if just say a Megan Racing tie bar, if that would reinforce the subframe too.

If I were you I would not get the tie bars yet. IMO, get things that make more of an impact for now.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (mugenpowered)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I were you I would not get the tie bars yet. IMO, get things that make more of an impact for now.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it's sort of a debate, but not wanting to do a spending spree. What do suggest?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save the dough and get a rear sway bar + reinforcement kit. </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save the dough and get a rear sway bar + reinforcement kit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Brother, I checked out some pics of some combination setups, especially SRR. Damn not only does it look hot under there like a G-string, it looks like it can handle like a vette! That costs major big bucks and i don't wanna be a "BrokeAssPinoy" like you. lol, jokes man.

Those setups should have you ready for the track, but all i want is to moderatly improve the stiffness of my suspension, without stiffing out my wallet.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5THGENSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyway that link dont work just go to http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.com and look up 94-01 integra gsr engine mount and look at part # 5. I looked up a 95 gsr if it matters. anyway, hope this helps </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have one sitting in my garage as well as the bolts. I forgot I even had it and sold my car before i got a chance to install it.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (.Lloyd Braun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Lloyd Braun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the front upper definitely helps steering response....the others you don't notice but once you have all 4 on they do tighten up the car quite a bit with a nice drop and suspension setup.

I've got all 4 ,ebay special, and they do make a difference.

EDIT: whats nuff respect mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All so true, and so funny at the same time lol.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Lloyd Braun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I've got all 4 ,ebay special, and they do make a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (fast88std)

this #5 bar, doess it really help out...and that picture is from an integra, does the 99-00 civic Si has one? becuase i think the integra bar (#5) will not bolt up to 96-00 civic correct?

thank you
J
Old 03-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (JDMFreak)

im not sure if it will bolt up to a 96-00 I know they have a different engine cradle. i have an eg thats why mine worked. and as far as the installation question , it is very easy you just stick it in there and keep putting socket extensions together untill their about 2-3 feet long and you just go straight down beside your shock towers to the bolts. its a straight shot down. and as far as the BLING factor, if thats a concern they make flat black paint. and if these bars didnt help honda wouldnt make so many tie bars for type r's.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (.Lloyd Braun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Lloyd Braun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the front upper definitely helps steering response....the others you don't notice but once you have all 4 on they do tighten up the car quite a bit with a nice drop and suspension setup.

I've got all 4 ,ebay special, and they do make a difference.

EDIT: whats nuff respect mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's perfect thanks alot man, that's really great news for me because I do have both uppers bars, and If i get the both lower tie-bars- that makes it four. And yes I do have a nice suspension drop (Eibach Sportline) springs. Speaking of Ebay that is where I am getting the lower tie-bars from. It's a great deal, and it does the job more than it's money's worth. I'm not looking to dish out like $160 for one rear tie-bar by DC SPORTS although it looks hot. I could buy like 10 ofF the Ebay bars with that money. It's still made of the saaame material ALUMINUM.

My front and rear upper strut towers are like the Ebay style bu they have a little differnt design (just a couple of holes) Here is a pic.

Sorry for my language mix, but Nuff Respect is the carribean way of saying to give you alot of respect. Nuff=Alot Respect=Respect

Thanks alot for your help again guys, this forum is amazing the amount of help,advice, and comments. I'm proud to wear the honda-tech.com decal on my ride.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LOWER TIE-BAR (Rayz_Si)

Alright guys I got my bars in from Ebay, got them installed today front and rear. Thanks god none of the lower control arm bolts were siezed surprisingly with all the snow and salt with canadian weather! First off the rear was easy, i took out 1 control arm bolt at a time and it was easy. However, the FRONT was pain only because i had to grind out the hole where the control arm bolt goes through.

The front lower contol arm bolts are a fatter 19mm bolt which did not go through the tie-bar mounting bracket hole which was probably small enough for the rear bolts 14mm. No i didn't mix anything up, just what you get with the cheaper territory but the part still does it's job. Now i could have drilled it out bigger but who knows it would have probably took longer, so i used a hand held grinder with an egg-shaped carbide grinder tip. It took like 20 mins to grind out the holes enough until i got the bolt to go through thanks god!. Also there is an allen key bolt with a 14mm nut that bolts. Try making the allenkey bolts face down, while the nuts are on top. Getting a 14mm wrench to fit up there is easier than fitting an allen key up there, the transmission is in the way. The only unexpected thing was the front lower tie-bar control arm bolt holes were too small for the bolts.

Driving my car out of the shop I already noticed the suspension feeling tighter, haven't took it on the highway yet but it's supposed to be more effective at high speeds. Thanks alot for the help and suggestions you guys, im' happy with my lower tie-bars.