Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lower octane gives lower emission levels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower octane gives lower emission levels?

read about a post on here somewhere that lower octane will give lower emission levels. i was wondering if this is true. it will be my second time going to the ref this friday and im hating to fail smog.

is it safe to put 87 octane in the B18C just to smog?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lower octane gives lower emission levels? (5lugcivic)

just put in some alcohol before. i wouldnt run 87 in a gsr but thats me, u prob could though
Old 03-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5lugcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read about a post on here somewhere that lower octane will give lower emission levels. i was wondering if this is true. it will be my second time going to the ref this friday and im hating to fail smog.

is it safe to put 87 octane in the B18C just to smog?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will lower emissions level. Its simple. Lower octane level = easier to burn. It will burn "cleaner" so to speak and thus reduce your emissions levels. You should be fine to run it in he B18C1 so long as the knock sensor is hooked up and enabled. I wouldn't get on it or anything, but drive it there, test and then burn the tank off. Fill up with 91, be done.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lower octane gives lower emission levels? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes it will lower emissions level. Its simple. Lower octane level = easier to burn. It will burn "cleaner" so to speak and thus reduce your emissions levels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't say it is that simple. There are three governing factors that affect emissions. Proper A/F ratio, ignition timing and a functioning catalytic converter will yield the lowest emissions. Changing fuel grade has very little effect on emissions unless one of the governing factors are not right.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lower octane gives lower emission levels? (pngfolife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pngfolife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wouldn't say it is that simple. There are three governing factors that affect emissions. Proper A/F ratio, ignition timing and a functioning catalytic converter will yield the lowest emissions. Changing fuel grade has very little effect on emissions unless one of the governing factors are not right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I just helped to BAR a CRX SI with a JDM B16. It failes repeatidly for high NOX and HC levels. New cat was installed, same deal. Ignition timing was dead on, ecu was stock, etc. Put in 87 octane, passed with ease. I would say it has more then "very little" effect. And I just ruled out all of your "governing factors", which by the way, exclude a lot of more critical things to consider.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes it will lower emissions level. Its simple. Lower octane level = easier to burn. It will burn "cleaner" so to speak and thus reduce your emissions levels. You should be fine to run it in he B18C1 so long as the knock sensor is hooked up and enabled. I wouldn't get on it or anything, but drive it there, test and then burn the tank off. Fill up with 91, be done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

very good to hear this since the fuel is on E now... a friend that works for Acura say it might not be safe because the lower octane will cause the motor to have knock and the ecu will have code. ....?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys are kidding yourselves, unless you're running crazy high compression, or nitrous, its completely fine to run 87 in a STOCK HONDA motor.

edit: and of course, forced induction of any type.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hidden secret.....next to rubbing alcohol in walmart or whatever, is an alcohol (forget what its called) but its a higher percentage than rubbing alcohol, buy that, and put about half of the bottle into about 1/3 tank of gas.....all zero's
Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (2thousandcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2thousandcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hidden secret.....next to rubbing alcohol in walmart or whatever, is an alcohol (forget what its called) but its a higher percentage than rubbing alcohol, buy that, and put about half of the bottle into about 1/3 tank of gas.....all zero's</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF... can you please explain?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5lugcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

very good to hear this since the fuel is on E now... a friend that works for Acura say it might not be safe because the lower octane will cause the motor to have knock and the ecu will have code. ....?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ECU will not throw a code for knock... It will throw a code for a misfire, which I cannot see you having an issue with. Put it in. Be nice to the car. Go test. Come back with resutls. End of thread.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill let u guys know. spark plugs are brand new also.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with that! I just passed mine today...only thing I needed was to have the head lamps adjusted.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_speed99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_speed99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WTF... can you please explain?</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF... it makes your car run like ****, burn cleaner, and pass emissions, its what me and my brother use to cheat washington state emissions.