Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lower ball joint and tie rod need replacing, safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 PM
ilu
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower ball joint and tie rod need replacing, safe to drive?

94 civic dx coupe, i recently had a small accident in which i hit my front passengerside. i took it to an automotive shop and told them i would fix all the body damage myself and they quoted me $925 to fix the lower control arm, bushings, and replace 2 of the wheels, plus the bolts. i thought that was ridiculous and i fixed it myself. the bushings were fine, i got a complete new set of wheels for a steal at $60 with hubcaps (originally didn't have any being a dx model), and i got a lower control arm from a salvage yard for $45. a month or two later i went to midas for an alignment that i kept putting off and they said my lower ball joint and lower tie rod need replacing and they can't align the wheels. my mother insists that it isn't safe to drive and i could lose control of the car, yet i've been driving for over a month since the accident with no steering problems other than it being slightly disaligned. i'm going to replace the parts as soon as possible, but i figured i'd ask trusty h-t for their valued input. i have work tomorrow (20ish miles away in downtown st. louis) so i have to drive the car. i drove down there today as well and the only problem i had was the FREAKING INSANE WIND BLOWING MY CAR AROUND. it was unnaturally windy today.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: lower ball joint and tie rod need replacing, safe to drive? (ilu)

you should be safe but change that stuff asap
Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: lower ball joint and tie rod need replacing, safe to drive? (x93coupex)

If the lower ball joint breaks and your hub seperates from the lower control arm you will be hurtin for certain.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM

i would get the lower ball joint fixxed asap they can break if its real worn out and for the tie rod there an inner and an outer end no upper or lower but it will need to be replaced to do an alignment
Old 02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my boots are ripped on mine... bump for you. i want to see more input.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: (the soL that could)

Well the worst that could happen. The tie rod could seperate from the knuckle and one wheel will be free and say bye bye to steering. Not to mention being pulled off the road by your wheel and running into a family, killing them and their three small children. What's the worst that could happen. I say get it fixed asap but ultimately it's your life.