Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Low idle problem/idle drop problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle problem/idle drop problem

Now, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but yesterday I was sitting in my car (94 EJ1 d16z6 AT) at a light, and my idle was at like 100-200, I didn't get a CEL, and my car seems to run fine. Another thing, after I've driven my car until it warms up, and I turn it off, and go get gas/go inside/do something real quick, etc and come back out to my car and turn it on, it gets up to about 1800 or so and then drops to about 800, again no CEL. Is this normal since I'm not getting a CEL?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Low idle problem/idle drop problem (JDM-EJ1)

Im having similar issues with my D16z6 idle being too low I keep adjusting it and its cool for a few days then it starts dropping out again down to 400 or less
Old 09-29-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Low idle problem/idle drop problem (DelSolSi93)

mines different...

when i start the car it goes up to about 1500rpm and idles there for a minute or two (warming up)... then it slowly goes down to 1200... then 1000... then finally idles around 700rpm where it should be...

but the problem i have is that it doesnt always stop there...

like if i rev the engine up to about 3k, and let off the gas and let the rpms drop... theyll drop to like 100-200 rpms... all the lights in the car dim and the engine sounds like it wants to stall... then it picks back up and idles around 700 again...

dunno if its my alternator or what not... just a weird problem...
Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 PM

Yeah, like my car run fines, (my lights don't dim or anything) but it just idles low sometimes. And mine also idles high when I start it in the morhing, and then gets to 700 or so, but I think that's just because it's cold?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa dude, i just had the same prob. exactly how u said if you drive it, leave it for an hour, then get back in it's the worst. im lazy so here's the post and MY solution from another board. hah.

When i am approaching a redlight for instance, i clutch in, the revs drop blow the normal idle to like 100-200, and then climb back up to normal. it only does this once; DOESN'T go up, down, up down. but they drop so low you could swear the engine would stall - but it never has suprisingly. None of this happens when the engine is cold.

now on the other hand, i have the feeling this idle is related to my overall engine bogging. most pronounced after it's warmed up. feels really gutless/torqueless below 5krpm. I'm finding it necessary to rev past 4-5k between shifts just to make enough power to go! once it was so bad, in 2nd gear at WOT the car wasn't accelerating; mearly maintaining constant speed.

here's a list of things I have already covered:
OEM NGK Platinum spark plugs
OEM fuel filter
K&N Air Filter cleaned+resprayed
Valve Adjustment
Replaced OEM Cat with Carsound high flow cat
New Radiator

took it into honda today for a diagnostic. It wasn't THAT expensive. $100. but even they couldn't pinpoint the problem. eventually i had 3 techs helping/pitching in ideas, everyone seemed stumped. but i'm happy i got my money's worth. they checked compression, ignition timing, took apart my fuel rail and swapped injectors, checked plugs, and checked for ecu codes.

well when they slapped everything back together and i took it for a drive home, the problem seemed to have disappeared! no more dropping revs when clutching in, and the bogging seemed to have pretty much vanished. weird? they didn't change anything. how can that be? the only explanation i have, as silly as it sounds, is perhaps that one of my spark plugs wasn't torqued to spec?? when they pulled out my plugs (very new only like 800km on them - not much to read)....cylinder #1's electrode was white. indicating something was a little off. all the others were a normal light tan. i still wonder what it could have been?
Old 10-01-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Low idle problem/idle drop problem (mugenEG2)

Very interesting. What is the torque spec for spark plugs on a d16z6?