Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loud ticking noise! RPM Sensitive. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud ticking noise! RPM Sensitive. Ideas?

Ok, first of all, i'm not some idiot who knows nothing and is on here begging for someone to fix it for me! I have a 1993 civic hatchback, with a b18 that i autocross and daily drive. Today as i pulled into my driveway i noticed a loud ticking noise, so i went back out on a test drive. Tick was RPM sensitive, and didn't make the noise while coasting in neutral, regardless of speed. Noise sounds like metal ticking. It sounds great at idle, and at low rpm's is ok, but at about 3,500-4,000 it starts ticking loudly.

Car still pulls hard, still able to hit 80+ mph, and it is definitely from the motor, not from axles or suspension. Yes, i have checked for exhaust leaks, and yes i have already checked my oil for any metal shavings and there was none. Plenty of oil, no grinding noises at all, and like i said, it drives fine. Just trying to get some ideas before i start tearing the motor out tomorrow after i lose my mind!

I do have a b16a and a spare b18b1 on my garage floor, but i still need to figure out what is wrong with this motor. Been a long day at work and the last thing i wanna do is try to diagnose this ****! LOL any thoughts welcome, your guess is as good as mine!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Loud ticking noise! RPM Sensitive. Ideas?

Originally Posted by Treflipboy
Ok, first of all, i'm not some idiot who knows nothing and is on here begging for someone to fix it for me! I have a 1993 civic hatchback, with a b18 that i autocross and daily drive. Today as i pulled into my driveway i noticed a loud ticking noise, so i went back out on a test drive. Tick was RPM sensitive, and didn't make the noise while coasting in neutral, regardless of speed. Noise sounds like metal ticking. It sounds great at idle, and at low rpm's is ok, but at about 3,500-4,000 it starts ticking loudly.

Car still pulls hard, still able to hit 80+ mph, and it is definitely from the motor, not from axles or suspension. Yes, i have checked for exhaust leaks, and yes i have already checked my oil for any metal shavings and there was none. Plenty of oil, no grinding noises at all, and like i said, it drives fine. Just trying to get some ideas before i start tearing the motor out tomorrow after i lose my mind!

I do have a b16a and a spare b18b1 on my garage floor, but i still need to figure out what is wrong with this motor. Been a long day at work and the last thing i wanna do is try to diagnose this ****! LOL any thoughts welcome, your guess is as good as mine!
valve tap ? check I/E lash and confirm it's to spec
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is my main suspect right now! Im hoping that is the problem..
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to suggest that, but wouldn't it be more prevalent at idle than at speed?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm gonna check valve lash tomorrow, and maybe get some STP oil treatment and do a fresh oil change to get any gunk out. I just don't have any other solid ideas of what this could be.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryd2TheMax
I was going to suggest that, but wouldn't it be more prevalent at idle than at speed?
my lash was off after i put new valves in(flat high comp). they would have a nasty tap/tick when you reved it to around 3-4k. when I say rev I mean stationary and not under load was worse in the cold/start up. did it while driving also but the exhaust was to loud so i jacked up the front and had a friend gas it
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its not the rocker arms needing adjusting then i would say the knock is coming from a rod... they usually start with a light ticking sound and after they wear more and more they get louder and louder until its no longer salvageable or drivable.... if it sounds like alot of chatter then i would said its the main bearings going...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going with rod knock too. My old 92 teggy started the same thing. Sounded good at idle but soon as i pressed the gas it would start clankin under the hood. A day later BAM rod lodged itself into the block.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A knock and a tick are completely different sounds. From what he's explaining, i'm going with valve lash. Rod knock wouldnt suddenly stop at idle, but valve lash would...to some degree
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same problem, and I just replaced my whole exhaust. Heads, down pipe, cat, resonator, muffler, and all new pipe. Muffler had a hole and manifold was cracked. Still didn't solve the other noises. Mine makes a tapping/clicking like noise when you hit higher rpm's, but sounds like metal flapping against something. But when pushing the clutch in or at idle you can not hear it.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:53 AM
Trial User

We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with about 150k miles, and we have this exact issue. I thought it was the power steering pump because it was whining a lot, and YouTube taught me about the seals allowing air in, and so I replace the seals, and now the power steering whine is gone completely, but not the ticking.
The ticking is loud, and it matches RPMs, but gets quieter the more RPMs until 2500 rpms, at which point it disappears completely.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:04 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

8 year old 1992-2000 Honda Civic Thread. Thread closed.

Please create a thread in the appropriate sub section for your Odyssey.