Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lots of Oil Leaking from Back of Block, need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Oil Leaking from Back of Block, need help!!!!

So I've been leaking oil for quite a while now, and I finally had the chance to degrease the engine and get the car up to take some pictures and look for leaks. My first thought was a head gasket leak, but after 30 minutes of no leaks or bubbles around it, I figured that's not my problem. I did however, manage to find a lot of oil coming out of (or above) what looks to me like the shift linkage. Those pictures below are of the what I think is my shift linkage (correct me if I'm wrong) and the back of my oil pan, where it looks like more oil is leaking out of. The gold oil drain plug seems to have some oil dripping down to it, but I believe it is from above it, where the back of the oil pan meets the block. From what I felt I figured out, the oil pan gasket in (mainly the intake side of the block) has a leak, and somewhere above or around the shift linkage is leaking down onto the shift linkage and dripping from there. Hopefully you guys can help me out and tell me where to start to get this oil to stop leaking. I know my shift linkage looks like someone took a hammer to it, so that may be a start, but I'm leaking a lot of oil, as you can see in the picture of what I have below the car where the oil is leaking onto, so I feel like there is a lot more work to be done. PLEASE HELP!
Ask me what you need and give me your critical criticism if necessary! I need this oil leak gone!
BTW : Engine is a B18B1 with a B16 Head. Not sure about transmission. Car is a 92 EG Hatchback

Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lots of Oil Leaking from Back of Block, need help!!!!

Please help HT!!! I'm in need of some serious help!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to try and not sound like a jerk.

There is a lot of jerry rig in those pics that i would hope you would fix asap.

shift linkage pin is a bolt?

the bushing for your shift linkage is completely shot and is about 10 bucks to fix, please do so.

you should buy some spring loaded header to exhaust bolts; i got some chrysler bolts for 5 bucks from advance auto parts that fit perfectly.

ok that all being said; did you check your oil filter?

I had a similar leak but it was from the oil pan gasket so that is another area i might just replace because its so cheap to do so. you really need to clean all of the oil off so you can see exactly where its coming from. when oil leaks and falls if it hits moving parts like the half shaft it will throw oil everywhere and you will have no clue where the leak is. seeing the oil on the header made me ask about the oil filter, ls vtec sandwhich adapter?

good luck.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by known
Im going to try and not sound like a jerk.

There is a lot of jerry rig in those pics that i would hope you would fix asap.

shift linkage pin is a bolt?

the bushing for your shift linkage is completely shot and is about 10 bucks to fix, please do so.

you should buy some spring loaded header to exhaust bolts; i got some chrysler bolts for 5 bucks from advance auto parts that fit perfectly.

ok that all being said; did you check your oil filter?

I had a similar leak but it was from the oil pan gasket so that is another area i might just replace because its so cheap to do so. you really need to clean all of the oil off so you can see exactly where its coming from. when oil leaks and falls if it hits moving parts like the half shaft it will throw oil everywhere and you will have no clue where the leak is. seeing the oil on the header made me ask about the oil filter, ls vtec sandwhich adapter?

good luck.
lol at jerry rig ha there is a lot of jerry rigging on this car!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Yeah, I know it's kind of taboo, but I bought the car and swap off some guys who had the swap done at some other shop, I've been trying to work while my oil has been leaking and save up some money to get the oil leak figured out and fixed. This is the figuring part, and the fixing will be soon.
Are the shift linkage pin and bushing a possible cause to leaking oil? I'll check out those chrysler bolts. Pretty sure it's possible it may be coming from the steel braided hose coming out by the oil filter, the oil filter is definitely screwed in and the filter itself is not leaking, however maybe something around it is. Not entirely familiar with the sandwich plate, but maybe that's a possible cause too.
Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk about your oil leak but you need a set of these before you F up your linkage. That end by the tranny has a **** load of play. I know you got a B series just by looking at it. You must have problems shifting i bet. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energ...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem, i had an ls/vtec and used the golden eagle sandwhich adpater that way you just run a braided hose for vtec. this could be the source of your problem as well because that line is under a lot of psi so check there. honestly if someone built all that then you should thoroughly go over everything and double check to make sure things are tight etc. the shift linkage bushing isnt a cause for the leak but its something you deff. want to fix asap. im sure they used that bolt because they lost or broke the "bitch pin" for the shiftlinkage but check the other side to make sure it has a fastener atleast. you should have a crush washer for your oil pan drain plug as well...again all of these parts i have said to replace will cost about 30 bucks max and just take some manual labor. i wouldnt drive my car if i had those issues.

also you might want to check the cotter pins on your suspension and make sure you even have them.....that could be devastating if not.

yes buy those that he listed.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mortificationrock
Idk about your oil leak but you need a set of these before you F up your linkage. That end by the tranny has a **** load of play. I know you got a B series just by looking at it. You must have problems shifting i bet. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Energ...Q5fAccessories
Thanks, and yes, I have a LOT of play when shifting, while in any gear, it feels like I could be in neutral because the shifter moves side to side easily. I learned that was caused by something in the shift linkage, but not sure what. What you have listed here is what is causing that problem?
Thanks!
no problem, i had an ls/vtec and used the golden eagle sandwhich adpater that way you just run a braided hose for vtec. this could be the source of your problem as well because that line is under a lot of psi so check there. honestly if someone built all that then you should thoroughly go over everything and double check to make sure things are tight etc. the shift linkage bushing isnt a cause for the leak but its something you deff. want to fix asap. im sure they used that bolt because they lost or broke the "bitch pin" for the shiftlinkage but check the other side to make sure it has a fastener atleast. you should have a crush washer for your oil pan drain plug as well...again all of these parts i have said to replace will cost about 30 bucks max and just take some manual labor. i wouldnt drive my car if i had those issues.

also you might want to check the cotter pins on your suspension and make sure you even have them.....that could be devastating if not.

yes buy those that he listed.
Yeah I agree with all of the double checking of everything. I'll check out that golden eagle sandwich adapter. And the bolt your talking about, I think it has a fastener, at least the one I checked does. However it is loose and probably needs to be tightened. I appreciate your advice and help, I'm in need of some learning and have a lot of hope for the future of this car. I'm a pizza delivery driver and have been driving it like this in this condition for several weeks waiting to get it fixed. So far so good, but I know it can only go on for so long. Oh and you liked those energy shifter bushings? Are those all I need to replace for the shift linkage to not be so messed up? Or what else do I need. Sorry if you've already mentioned it.

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man not a problem; everybody has to learn. those bushings i have had on my car for about 5 years and they still feel fine. yes that should eliminate the sloppy feel you probably are experiencing. it will be night and day after you install those and it will be one of the best purchases for 15-16 bucks in your life.

pizza guy driving a lot; i would really get your money maker healthy.

i wasnt saying to buy the adapter plate but to see if you have one since you said you have an ls vtec. there are 2 ways to do the ls vtec and the adapter plate imo is the easiest. take a picture of the oil filter area and i can tell you. here is my old one.
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8608/dscn03310cf.jpg
Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man not a problem; everybody has to learn. those bushings i have had on my car for about 5 years and they still feel fine. yes that should eliminate the sloppy feel you probably are experiencing. it will be night and day after you install those and it will be one of the best purchases for 15-16 bucks in your life.

pizza guy driving a lot; i would really get your money maker healthy.

i wasnt saying to buy the adapter plate but to see if you have one since you said you have an ls vtec. there are 2 ways to do the ls vtec and the adapter plate imo is the easiest. take a picture of the oil filter area and i can tell you. here is my old one.
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8608/dscn03310cf.jpg
Yeah, I just paid for the bushings on ebay. Should be here in 5-8 days! I checked the adapter, and it says Golden Eagle on it. I would imagine it is the adapter plate you speak of. And yes, I want to get this money maker healthy! I'll get those bushings in when they get here. Other than that, still not sure where my oil is coming from, but it is a lot of it. Possibly the oil pan gasket. Hopefully it is that because that's an easy-er cheap-er fix. Any other ideas or solutions?
Thanks again bro!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good put them and and youll see the shifting difference. Even better combo with a sk2 **** and shifter. Thats what i have.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its gotta be coming from the filter area or the oil pan. the last spot would be the rear main seal but you would have oil on the flywheel?

what block do you have? breather box on the back maybe leaking?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its gotta be coming from the filter area or the oil pan. the last spot would be the rear main seal but you would have oil on the flywheel?

what block do you have? breather box on the back maybe leaking?
B18B1 Block. Not sure where the breather box is. How can I check for oil on the flywheel? Sorry for nubish questions!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good put them and and youll see the shifting difference. Even better combo with a sk2 **** and shifter. Thats what i have.
Thanks! Are there any remove/replace directions on that part? I'll check out the sk2 know and shifter(is that a short throw single bend?). Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a link on how to do it. Note this DIY shows to install the bushings and the SK2 shifter if you ever do decide to get it. Wish the best for you and G/L finding that leak. Keep us updated or keep me updated on the bushings. Pm me if you got any Q's.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=106789
Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK b18b wouldnt have the breather box on the back so thats eliminated. flywheel doesnt look like it has oil on it from your pictures.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check dizzy o ring or the VTEC solenoid gasket since you said you have LSV setup. Check the oil line that goes from Sandwich adapter to the head also.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check dizzy o ring or the VTEC solenoid gasket since you said you have LSV setup. Check the oil line that goes from Sandwich adapter to the head also.
How can I check the oil line ? Do I need to pull it out and then put teflon tape on it and screw it back in? Will that drip oil everywhere? I checked the engine when I got to work yesterday, and it looks like there may be a little oil leaking from the front left corner (exhaust side) of the head gasket, although I don't really see any oil on the gasket itself. It may have not leaked while it was up on jacks because it was slanted back. I'm getting a few more pictures of some other stuff that I can see is pretty messed up and gonna put those up in a little.

BTW: My cel throws the code -- 21 VTEC spool solenoid valve, 22 VTEC pressure valve every now and then, but I thought it was just because I get so low on oil because I leak so much, that the vtec solenoid doesn't have enough oil to build up pressure.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just took some more pictures of some stuff that caught my eye. Hopefully you guys can help me... Oil leak is first priority, but there is some other stuff I feel needs to be fixed too. Thanks!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any ideas anybody? Still tryin to figure this out. Maybe the o-ring on the GE Sandwich adapter is shot?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the highest point of oil covering the motor? That will give you an indication of where the leak is coming from. My brother has the same problem on his LS. We think it is the cam seals either worn or broken. By the way your shift linkage bolt bracket is jacked up!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2Integra
Where is the highest point of oil covering the motor? That will give you an indication of where the leak is coming from. My brother has the same problem on his LS. We think it is the cam seals either worn or broken. By the way your shift linkage bolt bracket is jacked up!
The highest point is right on the front left corner (exhaust side) of the block. A little below the head gasket. I don't think there is any other oil above that. It's mainly dripping down onto my headers and oil pan and onto the ground. I don't think it's the cam seals, what he leaking a lot of oil? I've got so much leaking. But my cam seals look dry.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, this is only on the back? Is this a 4dr GSR? I ask because Gsr's have a integrated factory oil cooler that trades the heat from the oil into the coolant system by running the pipes onto eachother in a way that they don't mix fluids. If that oil line is broken, your leak would appear not much higher than the oil filter as this is where tha cooler is located. hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2Integra
wait, this is only on the back? Is this a 4dr GSR? I ask because Gsr's have a integrated factory oil cooler that trades the heat from the oil into the coolant system by running the pipes onto eachother in a way that they don't mix fluids. If that oil line is broken, your leak would appear not much higher than the oil filter as this is where tha cooler is located. hope this helps!
This is a 92 civic hatchback. it has a b18b1 block with a b16 vtec head. Could what you say still be true if these are my motor specs? seems like a viable option!
\Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch420
The highest point is right on the front left corner (exhaust side) of the block. A little below the head gasket. I don't think there is any other oil above that. It's mainly dripping down onto my headers and oil pan and onto the ground. I don't think it's the cam seals, what he leaking a lot of oil? I've got so much leaking. But my cam seals look dry.
OK, d finitely not cam seals.
A little below the head gasket, or probably fromt he head gasket? That would mean taking the head off and retorqing the head on.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK b18b wouldnt have the breather box on the back so thats eliminated. flywheel doesnt look like it has oil on it from your pictures.
I have a b18b and I have the breather box on the back of my block

Eg420 have you tried tightening down your vtec solenoid?

Quick Reply: Lots of Oil Leaking from Back of Block, need help!!!!