Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lost power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power!!!

I just set the timing properly... (Or so I think) on my 1993 LX Sedan. (I think it's a D15A1... It's Non V-tec, 16 Valve)... Anyhow, now, I have no kinda acceleration what so ever. It used to top out at 110MPH, now, it struggles to hold 80MPH on flat ground. If I get it over 80 on a downhill and it flattens out, I drop back down to around 80...

If it was just this, I wouldn't be so mad about it because it'll keep me outta speeding tickets, but I'll just drop that cash at the gas pump because my milage went down a bit too...

Also, there was a slight surging of the engine which is now much more pronounced. It kinda has a little boost of power, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't at like 1 sec intervals. Also the surge of power around 3000-3500 RPM is more pronounced.

I felt the need to adjust the timing because it was pinging under hard throttle. (Admittedly, on 87 Octane.)

I'm not throwing codes, or at least any that trigger the Check Engine Light. I checked all teh spark plug wires. I'm still running on all 4 cyls.

I adjusted the timing according to the Haynes Manual:

1.) Warm the car up to normal temp.

2.) Shut car down.

3.) Hook timing light up. (+ and - to battery, and inductive pickup to #1 (Belt side) Spark plug)

4.) Dig under passenger side dash for diag connectors with green cap on the end... Hook the Green/White and Brown wires together with a test lead.

5.) Start car. (CEL came on, I think it said code 15.)

6.) Use timing strobe to view the marks on the crank pulley and timing belt cover.

7.) Loosten 3 bolts that secure the dizzy to the head and twist it to line the marks up. Tighten them.

8.) Shut car down and disconnect diag connector wires. Shove them back up under the dash. (CEL did not come on after wires were disconnected.

One other question... There are two sets of marks on the crank pulley. One red one all by itself, and a set of 3; one red one with one black one a few millimeters away on either side. Which is the proper timing, and which is TDC?

At first I thought the set of 3 was the proper timing, the red one was where I wanted it to be and the black ones were + or - 2 degrees. That'd mean the one red one was TDC... But I wasn't able to line the set of 3 up with the timing cover mark. The closer I got to it, the choppier the idle got. So I assume the set of 3 is TDC and the one by itself is my proper timing, which is how I set it...

Thanks in advance... (No pun intended)
Old 11-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lost power!!! (Pele)

Bump...

Aww... C'mon guys. Nobody knows about this stuff? Sorry it was so long, but it is a lotta blank space.

I know it's just a stock Honda so it doesn't have a lotta power to begin with, but this is rediculous. I can barely maintain 50MPH in 5th gear on the highway. I gotta shift at like 6 grand to keep up with normal traffic.