Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

losing power 95 civic ex stock - sorry for the novel

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power 95 civic ex stock - sorry for the novel

Greetings:

I have a mostly stock 95 Civic EX that is losing power now and, before I begin, let me just say that I'm a car newbie who has been learning everything about working on a car with a friend and father over the last month or so. This Civic is my project.

I just finished replacing the engine about two weeks ago because I bought it blown from overheating. The new engine, on initial testing, ran great and felt fairly peppy for a stock sohc vtec zc

Now, after finally getting some time to drive it (my wife basically stole the car from me) it seems to be losing a TON of power randomly. The other day after getting onto the interstate I got up to about 60 and suddenly t would no longer accelerate and then started LOSING speed no matter what I did. I pull off, kill it, and inspect things under the hood and everything appears to be fine from what I can see at the time.. Then I start it back up and it drives fine the rest of the way home.

My wife took it out yesterday and it worked fine for a bit and then suddenly would not accelerate past 15MPH.. She stopped and went in a store for an hour or so came back out and it drove home just fine. It's been parked since that afternoon.

I was thinking possibly a collapsed/restricted muffler? I'll be pulling it into the garage this weekend to find out what the problem really is... However, if it IS the muffler, I am planning on getting a new cat-back soon anyways so I'll just go ahead and order one this weekend... What would everyone suggest for someone looking for something not really loud?

So far the only price I've gotten is around $400 for the magnaflow at procivic.com but I am not a good judge by any means and I'd hate to make the wrong decision. You all here told me I overpaid for my ZC by a few hundred not long ago

Best regards,

JD Smith
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: losing power 95 civic ex stock - sorry for the novel (jdsmith2816)

if your looking for an exhaust and if you donot want something real expensive or namebrand and still sounds good, just go to a local exhaust shop and have them instal a 2.25 exhaust or something like that for now
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM

Hey Projekt:

Well, I'm willing to spend up to around $400 or so on an exhaust if that's what it takes to get a good one. The Magnaflo high flow cat is only another $80.

I just want ot make sure I'm getting a quality product at a competitive price so I'm looking for some feedback.

If my problem ends up not being a collapsed/clogged exhaust then it'll be a little later when I purchase, but I'll still be purchasing within the next two months regardless.

Best regards,

JD Smith
Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdsmith2816)

yeah that choice is totally up to you, you can check e-bay also for some exhaust and cat's are pretty cheap also, but make sure b4 you buy anything to check the sellers feedback just to make sure your not bein scammed for your money
Old 02-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdsmith2816 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Projekt:

Well, I'm willing to spend up to around $400 or so on an exhaust if that's what it takes to get a good one. The Magnaflo high flow cat is only another $80.

I just want ot make sure I'm getting a quality product at a competitive price so I'm looking for some feedback.

If my problem ends up not being a collapsed/clogged exhaust then it'll be a little later when I purchase, but I'll still be purchasing within the next two months regardless.

Best regards,

JD Smith</TD></TR></TABLE>

let me tell you ebay is not the place to buy an exhaust, unless you are ricey. and it doesn't sound like it from what you are saying. if you want a quiet exhaust, may i suggest the apex'i ws2, very quiet and has nice HP gains, not to mention it's not that expensive. runs about $450.

as for your car losing power, was the timing adjusted right? did you do a tune up when rebuilding the engine? is the car auto or manual?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
let me tell you ebay is not the place to buy an exhaust, unless you are ricey. and it doesn't sound like it from what you are saying.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct, I am not interested in having a riced out honda that gains massive hp from the Type-R stickers attached all around the vehicle. Slight exaggeration there, but you get my point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you want a quiet exhaust, may i suggest the apex'i ws2, very quiet and has nice HP gains, not to mention it's not that expensive. runs about $450.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, apex'i ws2, eh? I'll see if I can find a sound clip of one on the net somewhere. Thanks for the recommendation!

as for your car losing power, was the timing adjusted right? did you do a tune up when rebuilding the engine? is the car auto or manual?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I replaced the timing belt and water pump, some hoses, and a few other odds and ends that needed doing but have not yet replaced my spark plugs.

The timing is set dead on according to the factory honda manual and my vehicle is manual.

Best regards,

JD Smith
Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdsmith2816 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct, I am not interested in having a riced out honda that gains massive hp from the Type-R stickers attached all around the vehicle. Slight exaggeration there, but you get my point.

LOL, yeah i get your point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdsmith2816 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I replaced the timing belt and water pump, some hoses, and a few other odds and ends that needed doing but have not yet replaced my spark plugs.

The timing is set dead on according to the factory honda manual and my vehicle is manual.

Best regards,

glad to see then you know that it is not the timing. could be spark plugs, i worked on a dodge stratus once (way back in the day). it was some what boggy and had a rough idle. i decided to take a guess and replace the plugs, sure enough it cured the problem. so you never know.

also, if it's automatic it just might be the tranny. is it an auto?