Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loose shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose shifter

i just brought a civic ex 98 and the shifter is very loose how can i tighten it up?
also i was trying to convert my front to 99-00 and brought a fake bumper didnt noe wat can i do?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: loose shifter (supe's_civic)

THE shifter problem is common in hondas, 99% of hondas bearings in shifters wear out by the time a tuner gets to it, just get a short shifter for it. there's no saving it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loose shifter (longshot)

Would new shift linkage bushings not help out with this, whether it's with a short shifter or not?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loose shifter (macson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by macson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would new shift linkage bushings not help out with this, whether it's with a short shifter or not?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. its not the actual shifter, thats just a metal rod, it won't wear out over time. the bushings, however, will. since the bushings are rubber, they do wear out over time.

OP: you can get energy suspension bushings on plenty of websites, along with short shifters and aftermarket linkages. its up to you whether or not you want to throw in a short shifter and/or new linkage while you're at it. you can get an ordianry b&m short shifter for around $50. but i would at least replace the bushings
Old 07-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Replace the bushings with some poly ones, you'll love the improved feel. This would be a good time to install a short shifter if that's something you want, as you have to do pretty well all the same work to do either install, might as well do them at the same time.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IanB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IanB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replace the bushings with some poly ones, you'll love the improved feel. This would be a good time to install a short shifter if that's something you want, as you have to do pretty well all the same work to do either install, might as well do them at the same time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, good call.

...or you could just replace the shifter bearings like 'longshot' said... lol &lt;-
Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i installed es poly bushings and skunk2 short shifter and it was greatly improved. i highly recommend it.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSi95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSi95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i installed es poly bushings and skunk2 short shifter and it was greatly improved. i highly recommend it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you cant go wrong with energy suspension. i had them paired with a nuespeed shifter on my dc2. it was super nice!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: loose shifter (na+b18c_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes. its not the actual shifter, thats just a metal rod, it won't wear out over time. the bushings, however, will. since the bushings are rubber, they do wear out over time.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had the bushing in the bottom of the shifter wear out on 2 Tegs I've owned...it creates a very sloppy feeling in the shifter, feels like you are in neutral...

OP when you are under the car doing the ES bushings check out the play in the bottom of the shifter...if its extreme and the bushings don't solve the problem order a new shifter...
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loose shifter (Loserkidwac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loserkidwac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've had the bushing in the bottom of the shifter wear out on 2 Tegs I've owned...it creates a very sloppy feeling in the shifter, feels like you are in neutral...

OP when you are under the car doing the ES bushings check out the play in the bottom of the shifter...if its extreme and the bushings don't solve the problem order a new shifter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would imagine it would be just the bushings that are worn out. i can't fathom how the shifter would have anything to do with it, unless its bent or broken for some odd reason..
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: loose shifter (na+b18c_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would imagine it would be just the bushings that are worn out. i can't fathom how the shifter would have anything to do with it, unless its bent or broken for some odd reason..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the bottom of the shifter there is a sleeve which has 4 o-ring bushings holding it inplace...overtime they wear out...then the sleeve just floats in the bottom of the shifter making it very sloppy

Look at the parts diagram #11 is the sleeve #23 are the o-rings

I had this happen to me I replaced the shift boshings and the though it might have been the u-joint in the linkage so I bought a new linkage...when I took the bolt out of the shift the sleeve fell out...I put it back together and it was the same, replaced the shifter with a spare i had and the problem was solved...just giving a heads up so no one else has to waste money like I did trying to solve it