Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking to swap a B18cR in my EK will my parts transfer over

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to swap a B18cR in my EK will my parts transfer over

Ok so I have an ek with a b16a I decided to do a swap and get the b18cR. (Want more torque and want to build it a little, who knows what the previous owners have done to it) I see there's two options for this motor one is a 96-97 and a 98+ what's the difference? They both have the same specs I'm guessing 200hp and 135 trq. Pretty much what I want to know or "verify" is that I have a sk2 pro series 68 mm TB and intake mani and a competition 8026 1620 competition clutch for the b16a I did some research and found that those parts can transfer over to the itr motor, correct? I'm just a little confused if I end up getting the 96-97 it won't be compatible cause the sites I've been to to verify if they fit says acura integra type r 97-01 or sumn like that why don't they mention 96-01 ?

Thx guys
Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking to swap a B18cR in my EK will my parts transfer over

They don't mention 96 because the USDM ITR motor was only available from 97-01. The JDM B18C Type R motor was available in 96.

Yes, your IM, TB, and clutch will swap over.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Swapping from a b16 to a B18 is a piece of cake, it he same series of engine, so it swaps right over, even with you extra parts!!

B18C Type R's are very similar. How the 2nd gen differs is that it got a different transmission with 4.75 final drive, and gears similar to that of a gsr. Also, the engine got a better design of header, the full stainless 4-1 along with heat sheilds to help keep weight down as well as under hood temperatures.
The last difference i can think of is simply the spark plug wire cover came with a false carbon fiber look to it

Her is a shot of one looks like from factory...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
They don't mention 96 because the USDM ITR motor was only available from 97-01. The JDM B18C Type R motor was available in 96. Yes, your IM, TB, and clutch will swap over.
Thx bro so let's say I got the 96-97 will everything still fit. Same exact shyt pretty much?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Swapping from a b16 to a B18 is a piece of cake, it he same series of engine, so it swaps right over, even with you extra parts!! B18C Type R's are very similar. How the 2nd gen differs is that it got a different transmission with 4.75 final drive, and gears similar to that of a gsr. Also, the engine got a better design of header, the full stainless 4-1 along with heat sheilds to help keep weight down as well as under hood temperatures. The last difference i can think of is simply the spark plug wire cover came with a false carbon fiber look to it Her is a shot of one looks like from factory...
Awesome thx bro I was just confused cause some sites I got parts from say the part is compatible with my b16a 99-00 then acura integra type r 97-01 they don't mention 96. Weird to me. Thx bro
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Swapping from a b16 to a B18 is a piece of cake, it he same series of engine, so it swaps right over, even with you extra parts!! B18C Type R's are very similar. How the 2nd gen differs is that it got a different transmission with 4.75 final drive, and gears similar to that of a gsr. Also, the engine got a better design of header, the full stainless 4-1 along with heat sheilds to help keep weight down as well as under hood temperatures. The last difference i can think of is simply the spark plug wire cover came with a false carbon fiber look to it Her is a shot of one looks like from factory...
Also what's a good site to find these swaps, found a few but maybe u know of some I don't.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.jdmsource.ca/
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 421 plm ta header really thinking to just getting the 96-97 itr motor
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/

Only place worth ordering from.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/ Only place worth ordering from.
Thx man appreciate the help guys.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there anything I can buy for this motor in the future to give it a little more power other than turbo? Maybe a supertech head package for example, better pistons rods and sum better cams than itr. Can I make more than 200 hp and a little more torque? Maybe even a fuel rail and regulator
Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM

A fuel rail is a "bling" item until you're pushing a LOT more power than that motor will. An FPR is also completely unnecessary.

Yes, upgrading your valvetrain (and having the car tuned for it) will increase your power. Pistons can increase power if you increase your compression ratio, but you won't want to run turbo on those pistons. Rods don't increase power, they increase the motor's capability to handle power.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming you haven't bought this engine yet, if you know a thing or two the B20V is a option also. Overbore to 85mm plus having the 89mm crank will yield more torque, 12:5:1 C/R pistons pro 1 cams along with all the other necessary items and you'll have something a lot faster then a itr engine. If you're new to cars then just a straight swap is probably best but best bang for buck is building them.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A fuel rail is a "bling" item until you're pushing a LOT more power than that motor will. An FPR is also completely unnecessary. Yes, upgrading your valvetrain (and having the car tuned for it) will increase your power. Pistons can increase power if you increase your compression ratio, but you won't want to run turbo on those pistons. Rods don't increase power, they increase the motor's capability to handle power.
Ok cool so by increasing compression ratio that involves boring the block out right? So if I increase the compression on the itr pistons I can't run boost only if I get aftermarket ones ?
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Assuming you haven't bought this engine yet, if you know a thing or two the B20V is a option also. Overbore to 85mm plus having the 89mm crank will yield more torque, 12:5:1 C/R pistons pro 1 cams along with all the other necessary items and you'll have something a lot faster then a itr engine. If you're new to cars then just a straight swap is probably best but best bang for buck is building them.
I've been looking at some b20 blocks actually I haven't bought it yet but I will very soon. From what I heard u can make power with the b20 but won't feel it
Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BrianB16A2
Ok cool so by increasing compression ratio that involves boring the block out right? So if I increase the compression on the itr pistons I can't run boost only if I get aftermarket ones ?
no just honeing it works to no need to overbore I highly suggest you pay someone to do this engine building for you.

what...you can't increase the C/R on a piston it has a set C/R swapping pistons is how you increase it. if you wanted to run large amounts of boost then you would be wise getting 9:1 pistons.

Won't feel it ? where do you hear this stuff 85x89mm is a big difference from 81x87mm of the 1.8l engines
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no just honeing it works to no need to overbore I highly suggest you pay someone to do this engine building for you. what...you can't increase the C/R on a piston it has a set C/R swapping pistons is how you increase it. if you wanted to run large amounts of boost then you would be wise getting 9:1 pistons. Won't feel it ? where do you hear this stuff 85x89mm is a big difference from 81x87mm of the 1.8l engines
Ok well as of right now lemme get my motor then I'll give u guys a post to all this shyt later. I would like to get the most power out of it with putting in newer pistons and new head parts.

Idk man just what I heard lol. Makes no sense to me tho.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yess I will be having someone do the build for me and also swapping the motor into my car
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM

No, compression is (mainly) controlled by the height of the piston. A taller piston will compress the air/fuel mixture more than a shorter piston. What you're talking about, boring out, increases displacement.

Taller piston = more compression on the same amount of air
"wider" piston = more air for the same amount of compression.

Generally speaking, you can run boost on higher compression, but the JDM ITR is already at 11.1:1 stock. That's why it requires premium fuel. Boosting on that CR by itself requires a careful touch of a very good professional tuner - raise it any more than that, and you had better have a DAMN good tuner, and some E85.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when going all motor no replacement for displacement thus I suggested an 85mm b20 has a longer stroke to of course. Just have to be REALLY careful b20 sleeves are thin already overbore it and boost is a no no same with too high comp. it's just a cheap alternative to sleeving a 1.8l to a 2.0l i'll see how long mine lasts way I see it b20 blocks can be had for no more then 300$ here so I'm not too worried if I crank a sleeve.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, compression is (mainly) controlled by the height of the piston. A taller piston will compress the air/fuel mixture more than a shorter piston. What you're talking about, boring out, increases displacement. Taller piston = more compression on the same amount of air "wider" piston = more air for the same amount of compression. Generally speaking, you can run boost on higher compression, but the JDM ITR is already at 11.1:1 stock. That's why it requires premium fuel. Boosting on that CR by itself requires a careful touch of a very good professional tuner - raise it any more than that, and you had better have a DAMN good tuner, and some E85.
Alright it's starting to make sense now. So pretty much just stay stock till I can have a pro boost it for me. I honestly would like to go all motor if it's possible
Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM

when going all motor no replacement for displacement thus I suggested an 85mm b20 has a longer stroke to of course. Just have to be REALLY careful b20 sleeves are thin already overbore it and boost is a no no same with too high comp. it's just a cheap alternative to sleeving a 1.8l to a 2.0l i'll see how long mine lasts way I see it b20 blocks can be had for no more then 300$ here so I'm not too worried if I crank a sleeve.
Except when that cracked sleeve hydrolocks your motor, shatters a piston, bends a rod, ***** your crank...see where I'm going with this? Cracking a sleeve doesn't just cost you the block.

Alright it's starting to make sense now. So pretty much just stay stock till I can have a pro boost it for me. I honestly would like to go all motor if it's possible
Serious question: why do you want to stay all-motor?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Except when that cracked sleeve hydrolocks your motor, shatters a piston, bends a rod, ***** your crank...see where I'm going with this? Cracking a sleeve doesn't just cost you the block. Serious question: why do you want to stay all-motor?
Well I'd like to boost my itr motor later but right now I just want sumn fun and simple. I don't plan on racing this car. It's my dd and figured it might be cheaper to go all motor than boost? I think I have that backwards. Do u recommend a boosted itr motor? What would be a nice set up
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM

All-motor for an ITR motor can safely and fairly easily see 200-220 with basic bolt-ons. With the right cams and tune, maybe 250. Work over the valvetrain and bottom end, and you MIGHT see 300 on pump gas. I'm just working on assumptions here, though - researching it and figuring it out is entirely up to you. Good cams will run you a few hundred, head work another bill or two, building the bottom end will run you a grand...starting to get the hint?

That said, You can boost for more power, more reliably, on the same (if not less) of a budget.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All-motor for an ITR motor can safely and fairly easily see 200-220 with basic bolt-ons. With the right cams and tune, maybe 250. Work over the valvetrain and bottom end, and you MIGHT see 300 on pump gas. I'm just working on assumptions here, though - researching it and figuring it out is entirely up to you. Good cams will run you a few hundred, head work another bill or two, building the bottom end will run you a grand...starting to get the hint? That said, You can boost for more power, more reliably, on the same (if not less) of a budget.
Nice ok ok I see now. Pretty much saying if i go turbo I can see faster power gains and is probably much cheaper than having to build it then time it etc. makes sense. Honestly this is gonna be my first swap and my buddy is gonna help me with it. I'm still learning all this stuff so as for right now this itr is gonna make me happy I'm really anxious to get it in my ek and swap my parts over to it. They aren't much but it's sumn. Still have lots to learn. As I continue to learn and get more into this tuner honda thing I'm sure I'll be wanting more power and will more likely go with turboing it in the near future.

Main reason for this swap is because the motor I have now has without a doubt been abused and put thru shyt from the previous owners. It's almost impossible to not push these cars hard and mess around with them. I'd feel much better with a newer used motor with less miles.

Thx for the info guys really appreciate it. I hope to one day know as much as u guys. Really need to get bak into this honda game. Been way too long since I've messed around with this lifestyle.

Quick Reply: Looking to swap a B18cR in my EK will my parts transfer over