Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for shocks! What brand to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for shocks! What brand to go with?

Hi, I'll be putting H&R Sport springs on my car 1.8F/1.6R drop and what to change shocks at the same time. What I am looking for is something better then OEM, reliable and cheap . I am looking to spend about $250-$300. I like Tokico Illuminas but they cost $400, which is out of my range.
I am not looking for the smoothest ride and looking more for performance.
Thank you
Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for shocks! What brand to go with? (Niskyspy)

KYB AGX is pretty good w/ your budget.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Looking for shocks! What brand to go with? (pooorman's type-r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pooorman’s type-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">KYB AGX is pretty good w/ your budget. </TD></TR></TABLE>
KYB AGX are OEM replacement and specs just made by KYB.
It will be hard to find anything that will be upper end and perform well with your budget.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to say but with a drop that low I don't know of any struts that will be good for you. Illuminas only warranty a 1.5 drop. Koni's might be your only choice. Anything else will jsut ride like crap cause your lowered too far for the struts to ride in the sweet spot. From what i hear civics only have like a 4" suspension travel until yout hit the bump stop with your strut. I dunno is thats true or not. Seems like it should be a little more like 5 " or somthing. i don't honestly know.

I do know that my illumina's ride really sweet, but im at stock ride height. IF i lowered my car it would be only 1" and id get extended top hats to compensate for it so it my struts would have extra travel.

If i were you id get illumina's and swap those springs back to stock until you get more money to correctly lower your car.

Till then find some integra sway bars, it really helps with body roll. Alot of people skip this step then lower there car and blow out thier shocks and bushings.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Default Re: (95vxtealhatch)

so what you saying if lets say I get H&R sport springs and Tokico illuminas I'll blow them because my car is going to be too low for shocks to handle. How come it works for every one else on this forum?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Niskyspy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Niskyspy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what you saying if lets say I get H&R sport springs and Tokico illuminas I'll blow them because my car is going to be too low for shocks to handle. How come it works for every one else on this forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just because they have them on their car doesnt mean it is working correctly. always keep in mind what works for some ppl doesnt always work for others.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Niskyspy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I am looking for is something better then OEM, reliable and cheap . </TD></TR></TABLE> only Chuck Norris can pull off your request... if you can wait, just save up a lil more money and get something worthwhile , that'll perform well and not have to be replaced sooner than normal....
Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Niskyspy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Niskyspy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what you saying if lets say I get H&R sport springs and Tokico illuminas I'll blow them because my car is going to be too low for shocks to handle. How come it works for every one else on this forum?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hardly. Im riding H&R Race on stock struts for about 5-6 months now without any problems what so ever. Illumina's will work fine with your sport springs. I have a friend riding illumina's on slammed omni-power springs and his are running on about 4 months now.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
KYB AGX are OEM replacement and specs just made by KYB.
It will be hard to find anything that will be upper end and perform well with your budget.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry but AGX arent OEM replacement. GR-2 are OEM replacement. AGX has a 3-4 step damper control.

to the OP:
but like how the saying goes either do it right the first time or you'll end up doing it twice so get something worth it.

anyways for a 250-300 budget AGX are your only best choice.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pooorman's type-r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pooorman’s type-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry but AGX arent OEM replacement. GR-2 are OEM replacement. AGX has a 3-4 step damper control.

to the OP:
but like how the saying goes either do it right the first time or you'll end up doing it twice so get something worth it.

anyways for a 250-300 budget AGX are your only best choice. </TD></TR></TABLE>
my bad got them mixed up. either way i wouldnt use them on a car dropped that far.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my bad got them mixed up. either way i wouldnt use them on a car dropped that far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i wouldn't also... i was just letting him know what's the best option for his budget.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please save up and get Koni's... please.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for shocks! What brand to go with? (Hemix)

save up for konis...but if u cant...get the skunk2 shocks are jhpusa.com
Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Looking for shocks! What brand to go with? (jdmej814)

I guess I'll just save up for either koni yellows or Tokico Illuminas...