Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please.

I'll be honest, I know very little overall on Hondas and I have been prowling and reading up on them for a while. I currently own a 95 TSI and a 00 Golf.

Gas prices are killing me now (38k miles a year). Add the fact that premium is 2.56 here and insurance for the TSI is unreal, I'm selling it to my father, who loves the car.

I was hoping to get a Honda Civic or Integra that would be peppy, fun and still get around 25-30mpg cruising.

Either way, I was also hoping for RHD, something different, I always loved a Spitefire a family friend had that was RHD.

I'm looking at around 3.500 to spend, so what type of car would this get me, what engines or cars should I look at? Are there significant concerns about buying a RHD converted car, is the conversion hard? I also think, seeing I live in Indiana registration of an imported car would not be as hard as it is for those in SoCal.

I have minimal mechanical experience (just keeping dubs and dsms running). So would purchasing a imported shell then plopping and engine in it be something left to only the experienced or could I stumble my way through it with some manuals?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 03-30-2005, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (Corbic)

RHD is cool and all, but I don't think you can pull it off for $3500.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (IHateJDM)

What am I looking at then?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (Corbic)

not sure exactly. anyone else feel free to add, but i think these are your options.
1. import a rhd car (more than $3500)
2. import a shell and put a motor in it (still probably more than $3500 plus the ability to swap in a motor)
3. import a front clip and cut a car in half then reassemble (tons of work and hard to do cleanly)
4. find one already in the states that someone else imported (very hard to find)
5. move to japan
Old 03-30-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (IHateJDM)

6. just live with the US models.
kidding

you probably wont be able to do it.
but, there are alot of fun cars out there that are hondas. if you look around good, you may be able to find a GSR integra...lets say 94-97ish with decent miles for 3500 or under, if you look hard. you may need to drive a bit to get it.

check out ebay
Old 03-30-2005, 01:12 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (mountaindewguy)

You might be able to even get a GSR swapped hatchback for around $4000. And, that would be an absolute BLAST to drive.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might be able to even get a GSR swapped hatchback for around $4000. And, that would be an absolute BLAST to drive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah, what's in the car is more important that which side you are driving from.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

About all your gonna get as far as RHD for $3500 is one of those old mail trucks/vans. Otherwise your **** out of luck. Buy a car that will leave you with some money left over but isn't a pile of **** so that you have to spend that money to make it drivable. Trust me, just because it's a Honda doesn't mean its maintance free. Why do you think we have this board?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trust me, just because it's a Honda doesn't mean its maintance free. Why do you think we have this board?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So the guys in the Car-lounge can... *giggle*

Back to serous point at hand.
So for 3.500, how much should I spend and what should I get? Friends have suggested buying just the cheapest civic around and running it till it dies and swapping in a B16. With a DSM or VW this is generally stupid considering the expense and complexity of the engines however I'm told Hondas are the simplest car in the world to do this two.

Another dumb question, but it must be asked. Which car, from all your experience, should I focus on, considering my limited budget and general lack of mechanical experience?

Pre '92 Civic Hatch
Civic CRX
1992-95 Coupe or Hatch
1994-97 Integra

I'm not really a fan of the older Prelude and Integra styling.

Once again, sorry for the nub questions, I'm just tired of sifting through pages of searches.

One last thing, is the B16A a good engine for me to shoot for, it seems to be on the less expensive side while still being a Vtec and offering better performance. It also requirespremium fuel correct?

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

you best bet would be to find a swaped EF hatch(88-91) for that amount of money.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (spock_rocker)

in my opinion if u want a car that will look good and perform good
get a 93 prelude, its quick and it sits really low so u need to do minimal exterior modifications to inhance the look
and as far as the motor goes its about 150-160 hp vtec

if it dies then get a swap

not sure if u want a B16 tho

if anything B18c is a stronger, more powerful engine

as far as civics go u can probably get a nice used one for like 4 g's with about 100,000 miles on it
good thing about that is that most honda engines dont brake in till about that time

hope that helped
Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the classifieds (even in other states) I've seen 94-01 integras, even GSRs go for as little as $3000... nice car, solid, good engine, even the non vtecs.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (sinishcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my opinion if u want a car that will look good and perform good
get a 93 prelude, its quick and it sits really low so u need to do minimal exterior modifications to inhance the look
and as far as the motor goes its about 150-160 hp vtec

if it dies then get a swap

as far as civics go u can probably get a nice used one for like 4 g's with about 100,000 miles on it
good thing about that is that most honda engines dont brake in till about that time

hope that helped </TD></TR></TABLE>

god this person got it twised, b series in a 93 lude is totaly wrong lol.

Here is my tip you prolly won't be able to find a perfect car, it will either be swapped and run like **** (constant problems) possible honda rust. Or you will get a totaly stock car that will prolly run problem free, until you start doing **** to it. That's when the whole hell breaks loose.

Personal experience speaking, I know alot of people with hondas. But then again you had a DSM and those ******* have horrible reliability.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (sinishcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i beat a gsr teg with my b16 hatch by 4 cars....
Old 03-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

god this person got it twised, b series in a 93 lude is totaly wrong lol.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i probably did

Why tho???
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 PM

i got a 95 civic ex with the SOHC vtec for 3500......54k on the motor
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinishcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i probably did

Why tho???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm preludes dont have a B series motor. Usually reserved for civics and integras..... Preludes come with H
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM

well bro if you want a rhd i know of a securty company that have rhd saturns. j/king bro. like what other people have said look around you'll find something
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (jdmcivicsilver)

Classifieds section here is awesome. Just two problems, A. SoCal might as well be Hawaii or Alaska, and B. I can't PM or Post in Classifieds. -__-

Any way, now just to pick something and weed out the duds. I also found a DSM RS, grr How I love yet hate DSMs. Great cars when running, but hell to work on. Expensive parts, local mec-shops are no help and just ****-poor quality. I'm sure if anyone else had assembled and built these cars they would be the greatest tunners ever. The quality just isnt there, look at the 7-bolt 4g63.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:20 AM

i would look at 92 and newer civic or integra if i were you. and yeah, honda's are lego cars, there's nothing to em.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (StreetEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Umm preludes dont have a B series motor. Usually reserved for civics and integras..... Preludes come with H</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necessarily. The older Preludes had B series motors.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (Ricey McRicerton)

I think Nikos said it best when he said...

"400 for an EG shell, 6000 for a Kseries swap, eating noodles for 3 months to save money... = priceless"

Old 03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please. (james p.)

I was under the impresion the new k-series in the EP03 isnt as love as previous Vtecs because it just doesnt "Scream" or "rev-like-mad". Unless your talking about the engine fround in the Type-R and RSX Type-S. I have no experince with those motors or cars.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The EP3 is a bit anemic in stock form. It only has vtec on the intake cam.. so it doesn't perform like the other K's
Old 03-31-2005, 08:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Corbic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was under the impresion the new k-series in the EP03 isnt as love as previous Vtecs because it just doesnt "Scream" or "rev-like-mad". Unless your talking about the engine fround in the Type-R and RSX Type-S. I have no experince with those motors or cars. </TD></TR></TABLE>

K series is the best motor honda has made yet. generally everyone will agree on that. whether its worth the extra $ over an H or B is another story though.

Quick Reply: Looking at getting my first Honda, was hopeing for RHD, some advice please.