Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lookin to buy a b16a3 delsol..whats the problem areas? worries? strong points?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin to buy a b16a3 delsol..whats the problem areas? worries? strong points?

lookin to buy a b16a3 delsol..whats the problem areas? worries? strong points? the one ive found near me is a 94 b16a3 stock, with minor surface rust on finder edges with 100800 miles...is ti worth pursueing to be a tuner car? im guessing id need to rebuild the block beofre anything maybe??? and comments or experiances with this platform or an engine with this type of milage would greatly help
Old 08-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lookin to buy a b16a3 delsol..whats the problem areas? worries? strong points? (www.HondaWerx.co

The only real problem I see with them is their weight. If you want this to be a speed only car, you might wanna find something that isnt as heavy.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lookin to buy a b16a3 delsol..whats the problem areas? worries? strong points? (www.HondaWerx.co

Dont listen to the "its too heavy" crap. I had a '95 VTEC Sol and it was faster than a Civic Si. I raced a '00 Si and had a friend in the car with me. Both cars had only an intake.

The only problems with the del Sol is the leaky seals pre '95 and the chassis not being too stiff. What you should do is go to http://www.teamdelsol.com and get some good info. Tighten the roof up, and get front and rear strut bars. That should help a lot.

As far as power goes, it is just like any other B16...sky is the limit if you have the funds.

The car handles really really good because of how short it is. So that wont be a problem.

Old 08-25-2002, 09:40 AM

will the 100800 miles on the engine be a problem for tuning? what should i replace?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:41 AM

will the 100800 miles on the engine be a problem for tuning? what should i replace?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:22 AM

honda motors a strong for a long time. If a rebuild is needed, you could always put some CTR pistons. Other than that, the roofs tend to leak.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:33 AM

108000, ull be looking to replace some belts soon if there still the orginals,
timing, alternator, etc. but itll run like new after so it depends what u want then...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:26 AM

honda motors a strong for a long time. If a rebuild is needed, you could always put some CTR pistons. Other than that, the roofs tend to leak.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 PM

as far as the internals go..will they likely be og for building on in witht hat much wear? i was pondering addina a mild turob or JR SC to it along with the other basic boltons.. should i replace the headgasket and whatnot oo? im just tryin to get a realistic aproach to what this car will cost me to be reliable and still be able to have it be fast and bullet proof
Old 08-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to go FI, just take the head off, make sure everything is clean, and get a thicker head gasket.

Everything should be fine if you do the Turbo/SC correctly and add enough fuel to compensate. If you do decide to rebuild the block with new rods and pistons, you will be looking at some $$.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:40 PM

even if i keepit all motor for a while.. will i be able to REALLY get on this thing? or are there a few key componants i should replace before i go out rippin it up? concidering the milage...
Old 08-25-2002, 12:45 PM

get GSR...I REGRET GETTING MY jdm sir gen 2.. cause I didn't pay attention to the torque numbers... all i seen was the 170hp.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even if i keepit all motor for a while.. will i be able to REALLY get on this thing? or are there a few key componants i should replace before i go out rippin it up? concidering the milage...
My 94 del Sol VTEC has 103,000 miles on it, and I have no problem getting on it. Do the basics that you should do on any high mileage cars, do the belts mainly.

Also, my del Sol's roof has never leaked, and has not needed tightening. The car is a blast to drive. I have had a Civic hatchback, and a Civic sedan, and the sol by far, handles and drives better than any of 'em.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you would like to correct the torque issues, you can always just buy a GS-R short-block and bolt it right up under your head. That way you have a 1.8 for like 700 bucks. Just get a GS-R timing belt and water pump.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real problem I see with them is their weight. If you want this to be a speed only car, you might wanna find something that isnt as heavy.
everyone says that
a del sol weighs as much as a civic.
the weight isnt bad.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A Del Sol S with the D15B7 is the same weight as a Civic Dx with a D15B7
Old 08-27-2002, 09:17 AM

just gonna build a LS/VTEC. got the rods, the crank and the block. Just needs some work and some nice JE pistons so i can have me a 75-100 shot back up.

-tech

Girls are trouble. Don't trust em.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, my del Sol's roof has never leaked, and has not needed tightening. The car is a blast to drive. I have had a Civic hatchback, and a Civic sedan, and the sol by far, handles and drives better than any of 'em.
honda addressed the leaky roof problem buy issueing a replacement seal kit at the cost of around 500 bucks. you can tell if it has been done by looking for the little nipple on the roof near the edge of the front seal. if you keep the rubber conditioned w/ grease you will not have any leak or squeak.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:22 AM
New User

Where is the place that the roof leaks on other people's sols? My passenger side does right where the window meets the roof and windshield side bar. Thats the only place it really does. I don't know if I need to tighten the door so It closes more flush or just buy some silicone grease or something, but the grease would smudge the window.

Maybe If I tint the windows, it wont leak.

Oh what you gonna pay for the car also? I wouldnt spend over 7500 for a 95 VTEC sol with a 100K on it, at least in okc area.

[Modified by samdawgsol, 3:43 PM 8/27/2002]
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM

My delsol leaks between the windshield and top drips at the sunvisors both sides leak but if its parked on an uneven surface it only leaks on the side that is lower also I have rust at the top of the windshield right where the windshield trim touches the windshield header other than that there isnt a spot of rust on the car anyone else have rust there? as for the "grease" on the top seals mentioned earlier yes it stops the squeaking and stuff but it did nothing to help the leaks also I used silicone dielectric grease cuz honda recommends that kind of grease for the top seals although it did stop the noise the greasy seals attract dirt and it annoys me....oh has anyone else had luck with tightening the top as far as leaks go? I really like my sol but I hate the leaks $500 for replacement top seals with no guarantee it will stop the leak??? I'm thinking about it but not sure the leak annoys me enough to spend that kind of cash on a 12 year old car Just a few of my thoughts about the sols.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM

ok first off to the thread hijacker's complaining about there leaking tops:

1) Adjust the targo top.
2) replace the side seals first. $120-$130 for left and right side.
3) replace the rear seal last. $500-$600

As for the original question addressed here.

1) Check for leaks on the targa top the easiest way is to have someone run a garden hose on the top while you sit in there and look for leaks. If you see some be aware of how much you may have to spend to fix it.

2) Check for a "Wet" trunk, (ie a leak). This is much cheaper to fix then the targa top leak problem but it is more time consuming but easily done by the average mechanic in his or her drive way with common hand tools (Ie. Screwdriver)

3) Be aware that there aren't nearly as many parts that are interchangeable between the civic and the Del Sol as you may think.
Suspension, Engine, that's about it.

4) Once you drive the car there's a strong possibility you'll fall in love with it and never want to part with her.

With that amount of millage you may want to do the routine maintence for the 100,000 mark ie. Timing belt, water pump, clutch ect. If theres paper work that the maintence has been done then I wouldent worry to much about it.

That's about all i can think of, Any other questions let me know...