Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Look over my Alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look over my Alignment.

I got an alignment today on my Sol. Its dropped 2" on Nuespeed Race w/ Stock Shocks. I was getting a lot of tire wear on the insides of my front tires. The rears were perfect. The guy said i'd need a camber kit to correct the front. Lemme know what you guys think. I'm not too good at reading this chart.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (BucsJosh)

you can see in the middle of your chart, that you had a lot of toe before. now you shouldn't have a problem with tire were, with you current toe settings.
HTH
Old 03-31-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (cccya)

alright thanks, I appreciate it. Just wasn't sure how to read it. So the actual is the amount after correction, and the total toe is what i'm at now after the alignment?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BucsJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright thanks, I appreciate it. Just wasn't sure how to read it. So the actual is the amount after correction, and the total toe is what i'm at now after the alignment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. before is just that, and actual, is what they put it too.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW: your total toe .01 is pretty good, from what i've seen
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd buy a camber kit JUST TO GET THE AMOUNT OF CAMBER UP FRONT EQUAL ON BOTH SIDES.

You've got -2.3 on one side, and -1.8 on the other - I'm picky enough to want the same camber on both sides.

Will you waer tires unevenly? *Maybe* so, but like others will tell you a lot of people run -2 degrees up front and have little to no inside wear as long as the toe is good.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd buy a cmaber kit JUST TO GET THE AMOUNT OF CAMBER UP FRONT EQUAL ON BOTH SIDES.

You've got -2.3 on one side, and -1.8 on the other - I'm picky enough to want the same camber on both sides.

Will you waer tires unevenly? *Maybe* so, but like others will tell you a lot of people run -2 degrees up front and have little to no inside wear as long as the toe is good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damm.....good point!! :
didn't even look at his camber........
Old 03-31-2004, 04:10 PM

So technically the tire wear should be ok now. Because I put on new tires in december, and now the insides of the front tires are almost bald. Tire wear should be improved with the toe correct regardless of the camber, but it'll just be good to have equal camber on both sides...correct?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
mike93eh

i dont believe all that "camber doesnt cause tire wear" crap. really negative camber and bad toe-in both equally cause uneven tire wear. a small amount of negative camber is okay though.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:07 PM

the camber is what's killing your tires, your toe is off, but that won't make your tires wear in 3 months.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:16 PM

when I had my sol with neuspeed race/kyb agx on the rack, my mechanic couldn't even get the front boxes to light up well enough to even align the car. I've got tire wear too, and I'm definately picking up a front camber kit
Old 03-31-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: (SickSOL)

What kind of kit are you getting? I'm thinking about the Skunk2, it'll do the job and its a quality part. Any recommendations?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (scdarksol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scdarksol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the camber is what's killing your tires, your toe is off, but that won't make your tires wear in 3 months. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you retarded
Old 03-31-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (chads)

hah, you had almost an inch of total toe out before your alignment. That is insane.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (Cru Jones)

Get camber kits and adjust the rears to 0 degrees and front to -.5 to -1. The 2 degrees you have up front is pretty extreme.

-Leon
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (LCheung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LCheung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get camber kits and adjust the rears to 0 degrees</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a really bad idea. Factory specs arent even that low. you'll be wearing the outside of your tires if you do anything other than take the car off a trailer and drag race it.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm does your car pull to the right?

You have like over 1/2 a degree of postive caster on the right. if you can try to get a camber kit that allows adjustment of caster.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (BatuKing)

No it doesn't really pull to the right, didn't before the alignment, afterwards it just drives so much smoother. So do you guys think I should be all right in terms of the tire wear on the inside. Its ridiculous how it was before, and I rotated my rears to the front after getting this alignment. I just don't want to go ahead and buy new tires and have the type of wear happen.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scdarksol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the camber is what's killing your tires, your toe is off, but that won't make your tires wear in 3 months. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG.

Toe wears tire much worse than camber - this is a FACT.

Now if you have a lot of negative camber AND tie problems you will rape brand new tires in a matter of weeks.

Again you can have up to and sometimes over -2 degrees camber up front and as long as the toe is in spec you won't see too much inner tire wear.

I'm actually going to dial in MORE negative camber on my own personal car because I tend to scorch the OUTSIDE edge of my Azenis with my current -.8 camber up front. I don't have enough negative camber. The right amount of negative camber will increase handling too.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:43 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WRONG.

Proof:

Car is at stock height, so camber is at factory specs. Both tires have equal mileage. The tire on the right (positioned FR on the car) was toed-out for about 3000 miles. The tire on the left (positioned RR on the car) had toe set to factory spec.

Now tell me again what wears tires faster?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Former Moderator

BTW:

Some people talk **** on Skunk2 front camber arms, but they've great for me for about 3 years now. I updated my old balljoints because the old ones used to collapse.

Here's some things to consider about any front camber kit, including Skunk2:

The upper A arm will hit the underside of your chassis/strut tower area if your car is slammed, or if you run soft springs or have blown struts.

I had an accident on a freeway where I ran over a bumper cover and it blew out my old Konis. My ride height was pretty low, and combined with the soft-*** struts my Skunk2 kits would slam into my chassis hard enough to dent it on both sides. When you pop my hood you can see the indention from the underside where the arms hit.

I'd buy the /skunk2 kit and some struts and get the car realigned to have these specs:

Front:

Toe: 0 both sides
Camber: -1 degrees at LEAST; -1.5 if you drive hard around corners a lot

***Note***

-1 is the most allowable specs for front camber by Honda, but even if you go "in the red" and get up to and over -1.5 you should be fine.

Rear:

Toe: 08 which is dead center of Honda specs
Camber: -1 to -1.3 at most; this will help you tuck the rear tires a bit and avoid scrubbing

You do have a 1992-1995 Civic or 1993-1997 Del Sol, right? that's what honda specs I'm going by.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:45 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WRONG.

Proof:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those look like Kumho 711s.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:47 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Look over my Alignment. (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those look like Kumho 711s.</TD></TR></TABLE>
They are. I replaced the one on the right for a mere $43.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:44 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey tom, doesn't it look like his car has been hit in the front with his lack of positive caster?? i'd almost think his lca's are bent. oh well, yeah, that was a nasty amount of negative toe. his tires were tryin to drive away from each other. i bet when he turned it would steer really hard to that side. oh well.

dude, i'd take tom's advice on getting a camber kit. you need equal camber, it helps
bet the car drives much better now, it's crazy how off the alignment gets when you play with suspension
Old 04-01-2004, 08:10 AM
overrated.

Please don't post Misinformation.

Toe is the #1 Wearing factor for tires. You camber can be within spec, but if the toe is out it's gonna wear unevenly on one side.

Quick Reply: Look over my Alignment.