Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Long winter. Long commute. Need tire.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long winter. Long commute. Need tire.

I drive an two hours 5 times per week on mostly highway and I'm used to the setup detailed in the signature link to my HT garage. This winter setup only needs to last one winter because if all goes according to plan I'm going to move to someplace warm and get the car detailed in my signature. Cleveland gets some reasonable sized storms but the constant lake (Erie) effect snow is the major opponent. I leave the house at 8AM most days.

1. Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (185/65/14 -- pure snow and ice) mounted and balanced on 14x5.5 inch steel wheels = $478.24 shipped from the TireRack

More info about the WS-50: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...1=yes

2. Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 (195/55/15 -- performance winter -- worse on snow than the WS-50 but better at everything else) mounted to 15x6 steel wheels = $666.48 shipped from the TireRack

More info about the LM-22: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...LM-22

3. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 (195/55/15 -- performance winter -- worse on snow than the WS-50, slightly worse than the LM-22 on snow, but better at everything else) mounted to 15x6 steel wheels = $642.48 shipped from the TireRack

More info about the Pilot Alpin PA2: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...n+PA2

I'm looking for personal experiences with these tires, other options with the exception of "park it and get a beater," and above all which tire would you choose and why?

Additional info the future searcher may find worthwhile: I moved to OH a year ago and ran my 16 inch Rota's w/ high performance all seasons (205/45/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512s) last winter. Big mistake. The traction was OK but I bent two of my rims thanks to monster potholes. That's why I want more higher profile tires and better traction this winter. It's going to be hard to take off the Bridgestone Potenza RE750s I have on now. They are sweet summer tires that offer great traction without the noise and tread wear of their grippier brothers.

Modified by lowrightor at 12:54 PM 10/22/2004
Old 10-12-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire. (lowrightor)

Blizzak.... - no other choice if they have a tire in your size..

IMO
Old 10-12-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire. (93CivicSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93CivicSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blizzak.... - no other choice if they have a tire in your size..

IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

Two out of the three options I listed are Blizzaks. Which one would be your choice and why do you feel that way?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're forgetting to tell us what the dimensions of the tire is...remember this when purchasing winter tires...the skinnier the tire is...say 185/90R/14 the easier it'll be to accelerate and decelerate in the snow. Traction control is going to increase too...meaning it'll be alot better for you to go with thin tires for snow. Not fat low pros. thats a big no no. Something to keep in mind if you don't already know
Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Two out of the three options I listed are Blizzaks. Which one would be your choice and why do you feel that way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd go with the WS-50. I run cheap 14" Sears snows. You don't need to spend the extra money for 'performance' snows. Any snow tire will be better in winter than any all season tire; especially better than a performance tire.

The cheapies I run even had better dry traction than those POS Firestones my civic came with. The extra money to get a little more dry traction in a snow tire just isn't worth it to me. Go with the best deal, because the difference in the other tires probably won't be noticable anyway; and you need to get snows regardless.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire. (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're forgetting to tell us what the dimensions of the tire is...remember this when purchasing winter tires...the skinnier the tire is...say 185/90R/14 the easier it'll be to accelerate and decelerate in the snow. Traction control is going to increase too...meaning it'll be alot better for you to go with thin tires for snow. Not fat low pros. thats a big no no. Something to keep in mind if you don't already know </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops, you're right. I edited the original post so it now has the sizes. I did know that whole narrow snow tire concept though. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire. (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd go with the WS-50. I run cheap 14" Sears snows. You don't need to spend the extra money for 'performance' snows. Any snow tire will be better in winter than any all season tire; especially better than a performance tire.

The cheapies I run even had better dry traction than those POS Firestones my civic came with. The extra money to get a little more dry traction in a snow tire just isn't worth it to me. Go with the best deal, because the difference in the other tires probably won't be noticable anyway; and you need to get snows regardless.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quality answer. The reason I even considered the performance snow tires was because I was worried about the highway and dry performance of the pure snow tires like the WS-50. I have 205/45/16 Bridgestone Potenza RE750s on now and they're spoiling me.

If someone running nice tires in the summer tells me that they run Blizzak WS-50s in the winter I will feel a lot better about going with option 1.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 185 R14 blizzak-50's will be the best of the three due to their specificity and narrow contact patch. I go to college in Wooster, so I feel your pain with the lake-effect snowstorms.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If someone running nice tires in the summer tells me that they run Blizzak WS-50s in the winter I will feel a lot better about going with option 1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I'm not running the WS-50s, but my summer tires are Yoko AVS ES 100s (15" on Si wheels). Last summer I ran 14" Azenis on stock steel (they're my autocross set now). Of course they're not going to have the ultimate dry performance of any of the above, but it's not going to be as big of a difference as you might think.

The snows are about as loud as the Yoko's, and have much better dry performance than stock all seasons (and those are my cheapies - winterhandler maybe?). They also ride a lot more comfortably than my performance tires. A quality tire like the WS-50s would be much better, and you'd probably never notice it's a snow driving at 7 or 8/10ths (wich you probably won't even be doing much, being winter and all )

Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/homeF.cfm

I ran the hakkapeliitta 2's (studded) all last winter & could not be happier with the performance in snow. Of course the handling on dry pavement is not as good as non-studed tire...but for my area, the trade off was well worth it

hakka 2's http://www.nokiantires.com/new...1&w=1

Old 10-12-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire. (adirondackR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adirondackR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I suggest http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/homeF.cfm

I ran the hakkapeliitta 2's (studded) all last winter & could not be happier with the performance in snow. Of course the handling on dry pavement is not as good as non-studed tire...but for my area, the trade off was well worth it

hakka 2's http://www.nokiantires.com/new...1&w=1

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Studs are illegal here...hehe. I did consider Nokians but I like sticking to TireRack's products because they have lots of tests and survey data for me to obsess over.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, I'm not running the WS-50s, but my summer tires are Yoko AVS ES 100s (15" on Si wheels). Last summer I ran 14" Azenis on stock steel (they're my autocross set now). Of course they're not going to have the ultimate dry performance of any of the above, but it's not going to be as big of a difference as you might think.

The snows are about as loud as the Yoko's, and have much better dry performance than stock all seasons (and those are my cheapies - winterhandler maybe?). They also ride a lot more comfortably than my performance tires. A quality tire like the WS-50s would be much better, and you'd probably never notice it's a snow driving at 7 or 8/10ths (wich you probably won't even be doing much, being winter and all )

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, aside from the driving slower in winter suggestion, I had a hard time following what you were saying.

Edit: I think I 1/2 understand you now. I forgot that you had mentioned earlier about your cheap Sears snow tires. I'm surprised to hear that your snow tires ride better than your Yokos.

Modified by lowrightor at 2:10 PM 10/12/2004
Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm surprised to hear that your snow tires ride better than your Yokos. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The snows have a larger sidewall (14" snows vs. the Yoko 15"), and the sidewall isn't nearly as stiff. Much nicer over the crappy winter roads and potholes that show up during the thaws.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 AM

The snows have a larger sidewall (14" snows vs. the Yoko 15"), and the sidewall isn't nearly as stiff. Much nicer over the crappy winter roads and potholes that show up during the thaws. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That does make sense. I just figured they would be more wobbly and louder because it's a softer compound.

I'm still unsure I understood the rest of your post though.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still unsure I understood the rest of your post though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me try again then...

If someone running nice tires in the summer tells me that they run Blizzak WS-50s in the winter I will feel a lot better about going with option 1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I'm not running the WS-50s, but I do run snows in the winter (and have run several different brands). The most recent summer tires I've run are Yoko AVS ES 100s (15" on Si wheels); and last summer I ran 14" Azenis on stock steel (they're my autocross set now). Of course the WS-50s aren't going to have the ultimate dry performance of any of the summer rubber mentioned in this thread, but it's not going to be as big of a difference as you might think. Aside from the testing done by TireRack showing differences in one category or another, in the real world the differences between the choices listed will be pretty minimal.

The snows that I run are about as loud as the Yoko's, and have much better dry performance than stock all seasons (and those are my cheapy snows - winterhandler maybe?). They also ride a lot more comfortably than my performance tires. A quality tire like the WS-50s would be much better than my snows in those regards; and you'd probably never notice it's a snow tire driving at 7 or 8/10ths.

I've stopped spending alot on snows after trying a few different ones; because for the most part they're all pretty similar. I just use them so I have a reasonable amount of traction in the snow. That's their main function, and as that, they all do a fairly good job. I'd rather save the extra money I could spend for a bit more dry traction in a snow tire on the tires / brakes / wear items that I'm going to need for the next track season where I most certainly will spend more bucks for more grip.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:14 AM
most hood white kid

just move down south, we here in TN usually have mild winters, however i think that this year we are gonna have a harsh winter(harsh being in my opinion, not someone from the north) but just get whatever is reliable and cheapest
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just move down south, we here in TN usually have mild winters, however i think that this year we are gonna have a harsh winter(harsh being in my opinion, not someone from the north)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhhhhh....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This setup only needs to last one winter because if all goes according to plan I'm going to move to someplace warm and get the car detailed in my signature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but just get whatever is reliable and cheapest</TD></TR></TABLE>

Option 1, 2, or 3 dunny.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 PM
most hood white kid

ok, didnt read that far, hell i don't know much about tires, just get what you want
Old 10-12-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

EX_AutoXer - Thanks for your further clarification - you didn't have to do that. I understand your logic now and appreciate your input. Saving money on tires is not an issue for me. I figure that they're the only things touching the ground so I'll be damned if the reason I crash my car is my tires are worn, underflated, or cheap. To me it's money well spent because I'm in my car a lot and need it to be in top shape to get to work and back every day, safely. If I was an Autocrosser like your name and posts imply, I might feel otherwise. Curious, where do you live, what kind of winter do you have, and what kind of driving (speeds) do you do? Thanks again.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, didnt read that far, hell i don't know much about tires, just get what you want</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. "That far?" The sentence explaining that this setup only needed to last one winter was only the 2nd one.
2. If you don't know much about tires, then why are you posting? I even bolded the important information. Wait, you're one of those guys who posts without reading the original post aren't you? I've heard about you guys. Git out of here country.
3. "Just get what you want?" Best advice you've given so far.

Man I'm harsh. Sorry bud.

NEXT!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lowrightor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EX_AutoXer - Thanks for your further clarification - you didn't have to do that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, no prob

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Saving money on tires is not an issue for me. I figure that they're the only things touching the ground so I'll be damned if the reason I crash my car is my tires are worn, underflated, or cheap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd still go with the WS-50s, since they have the best snow / ice performance. It's not so much saving money on the tires; more like spending more for some dry performance, but loosing perfomance in the snow (which is what I'd be looking for).

I grew up north of Albany NY, and lived in Syracuse and Rochester while in school, so I'm no stranger to snow. I live outside of Boston now, and while I don't get half the snowfall, these people can't seem to figure out how to plow, so it makes for a messy commute.

I do a mix of city and highway driving everyday. Last winter I was driving 1 hour+ on the highway back and forth to work; and I usually spend quite a bit of time on the highways on the weekends back and forth to visit family and friends. I won't get into the speeds that I travel

I ended up with cheap sears snows because I waited too long into the season to buy tires. I was going to go to my mom's to get my rims out of storage, and get some new blizzaks mounted over a long weekend while living in Syracuse. That week there was an early freak snowstorm (about 5") and I still had my Yoko AVS Intermediate (now the prada spec 2) mounted. I was calling around for tires, and everyone jacked their prices up 4X because of the storm (a blizzak was about $200 each). Sears had a national flyer with a snow listed for $50 each, so I jumped on it, since they had to honor the price.

I was planning on replacing them the next season with 'real' snows, but honestly, they work just about as good, so I've seen no need to (had them 3 seasons now). So really, out of the selections you've posted, any of them will do a fine job for what you need, and you probably won't notice too much difference between them; so why not just go with the best deal.

I never skimp on parts for my car, but after having various different snows on my car, I've noticed there just isn't too much difference between any of them. When I first started driving, I'm not even sure if blizzaks were available, and I've survived with all my cars intacked. I just feel like the whole 'performance' snow thing is a marketing gimmick to sell more premium tires (the largest growing and most profitable tire market), because I just haven't seen that much difference between them to warrant the escalating prices. Even a cheap snow will give you so much greater performance in the winter over an M+S or summer tire, that you'll be happy with any of the ones you end up with. So, take that for what you will

Old 10-13-2004, 05:49 AM

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

Point made. I still think there has to be a difference between the winter/dry performance balance in your Sears snows, WS50s, and a performance winter tire. Marketing is one thing, but the TireRack's survey results lets people rate the tires and we all know stats don't lie right?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lowrightor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Point made. I still think there has to be a difference between the winter/dry performance balance in your Sears snows, WS50s</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely, but it's a lot less than I thought it would be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lowrightor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Marketing is one thing, but the TireRack's survey results lets people rate the tires and we all know stats don't lie right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because surveys on the intar-web by the comon folks are always 100% accurate . Actually I saw a post a few weeks ago with a link to a TireRack survey giving summer tires 6-7 ratings for snow performance.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personal preference from personal experience LM-22 for no doubt all around winter tire traction - if you get more snow and ice then where I lived, I would go with the WS-50 - has been the best snow/ice tire in the business for many years.

Before moving to Tucson, AZ (no snow to worry about) I lived in Northern Virginia for 25 years (23 of it driving) and spent the last 7 winters driving to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where my wifes family lives.

Tried three different sets of winter tires. -

Dunlop WinterICE (I think that was the name) about 5 years ago, fair,= grip on snow and slushy snow, somewhat scary on ice.

then went to some POS goodyear winter tire, only marginally better than my summer tires.

and then - LM -22's - compared to the other two listed above, it was without any doubt the best of the three.. outstanding dry winter traction and well as the best at slushy snow - did not get a real chance to try them on glare ice, but for an ALL around winter tire, was the best of the three sets that I had on the car.

Had a set of four, mounted on steel wheels, put them on the car in November, and then changed to my summer tires in March/April.

I drive a 1993 civic hatch - while in VA for the last two years it was lowered on Nuespeed Koni's and Eibach prokit springs (about 1.2 to 1.5 inches) and I had no real problems in the snow. Unless it was intentionally self induced!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:19 AM

The TireRack guy I talked to said that the big difference between the snow performance of the LM22 and the WS50 is the ice. The WS50 had a softer compound for about 50% of its treadlife that is great for ice. That's why people rave about its snow and ice performance and complain about treadlife.

Can't have it all.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 PM

Still would like to hear someone ran pure snows on the highway after running some nice rubber in the summer. A bonus would be if anyone has personal experience with either of the two performance winter tires.

Quick Reply: Long winter. Long commute. Need tire.