Default Re: long geared single cam tranny

Originally Posted by BiG_DeE
CX tranny's are the longest geared, then DX, and then the EX/SI tranny's

what do you mean when you say the cx tranny is the longest geared
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 92-95 Cx and Vx's have a 3.250 final drive in them and the 96-00 Hx and Cx's have a 3.722 final drive..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by leoaa777
DX, CX trannies for boost.
Originally Posted by Jimster480
yep
Originally Posted by brutekiller787
^+1
Your all wrong. Do any of you 3 even have a turbo setup? Have you ever driven a car with a CX tranny? I doubt you have because you would know no matter what it is MISERABLE to drive!!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a dx and my friend has a cx his is boosted mine isn't mine's horrible to drive but his is awesome it pulls so hard you wouldn't even believe. he had an ex tranny and swapped it for a cx because he stays in boost and makes more power longer.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a dx and my friend has a cx his is boosted mine isn't mine's horrible to drive but his is awesome it pulls so hard you wouldn't even believe.
first of all dx/cx trannies are near identical depending on the year of the car they can be 100% identical. His car is going to feel faster because it is, it has a turbo, it will be faster.

he had an ex tranny and swapped it for a cx because he stays in boost and makes more power longer.
As stated above, if that was true OEM's would still be making 3 speed transmissions, racers would have 1 gear that was just REALLY long, what your saying simply is not true.

Don't take this the wrong way but you clearly do not understand exactly what a transmission does, your just hearing buzz words and you probably have a general idea but that leaves tons of room for error which is very common. If two identical turbo single cams (since that's what were talking about here) raced with identical power the one with the shorter gears will win given all other things equal.

Gears multiply torque and horsepower is a function of torque. Think about that, the shorter the gear the more it multiplies torque, that's why first and second gear are so nasty on most cars but fifth is not unless you have A LOT of power.

The only time longer gearing is desired is if your having to shift into fifth at the end of a race, having a slightly taller 4th could help since while you may not go AS fast you will still finish the 1/4 faster since you are not taking .5 seconds (or whatever it is) to shift into a gear you will only be in for half a second.

For a street car, the shortest gears are what you want, i have a b16b tranny, thats just about the shortest gear set honda offers, believe me a car with similar power on an LS tranny will never beat me all other things equal.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it really all comes down to what kind of setup you have and how much power your motor is making.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell you what to help yourself understand the idea behind the short geared trans vs. the long geared trans. Hook up the old PS2 and put in Gran Turismo 4. Get your favorite turbo or supercharged car go to the dragstrip and adjust the gears all the way out and try it. It is going to suck. Then go back and shorten the gears little by little and watch the times get better. The longer geared trans is used for top speed if you are going to go 200mph then fine but your not (i think) so **** it. You have to understand that a too short trans will suck as well because you won't be able to use the torque (power band) of the motor. Same as with the too long geared trans you wont have enough power to reach the top speed of the trans. And I agree using the longer trans is not the solution for wheel spin. I also understand that it does take money to get the car to grip but don't give away a good trans killing yourself. I hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was about to come in here and tell everyone here how wrong they are and silly they sound about longer tranny's being better for boost, and better for traction etc, but a Forced induction veteran (blinx9900) already got this covered. its amazing how different this section is from the FI forum

As Blinx pointed out already, stayling longer in a gear means your going slower. you want to be able to get thru each gear faster than the next guy. common sense people. a race starts from first gear, if the guy next to you redlines every gear and when he reaches the end of 4th, your just in the middle of 3rd gear. who do you think is actually going faster?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boostage
its amazing how different this section is from the FI forum
You have no idea, I try not to leave the FI section, everytime i venture out i run into crazy stuff, i got people in the NA forum telling me you cant make 400whp on cast pistons and that b16 blocks have full ductile iron sleeves from the factory and now long gears good for boost arguement is back from 2001... Thank you for the priase by the way.

*goes back to FI section*
Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It totally depends on what you want. Since i don't live on a race track (quartermile), and don't want to shift gears every 1.5 seconds in my 350whp hatch... a short tranny isn't ideal for me. For the reasons of drivability, gas milage, and lazy shifting habits a short tranny won't give me the results I want.
Your milage may vary.
If your whole day is built driving in between stops lights and quarter mile jaunts then a short tranny may be the thing for you... but once again your milage may vary.
The fact is (as stated above) power is useless with a tranny that is too short, or one that is too long. you have to decide what it is you want, and how you want to utilize the power you make and where you want to use it.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Furious Styles i have 340whp in my hatch with a b16b tranny which is shorter than any D tranny and its plenty livable on the fwy (assuming you follows the posts speed limit +mph tops) and on the streets, when i was NA i averaged 25mpg, now that i am boosted i don't bother to check, i actually find the shorter gearing more liveable on the streets because when i had long gears i had to tack it up higher and shift later so everybody thought i was trying to race them, but now i just take it to 3000rpm and shift, car does not make excessive noise etc... and if i drove ont he HWY a lot i would jsut fit an LS 5th... i guess at this point its just prefrance but for performance the ex/si tranny is better than the cx/dx in just about every application, its not nearly as short as some people may think...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blinx9900
Your all wrong. Do any of you 3 even have a turbo setup? Have you ever driven a car with a CX tranny? I doubt you have because you would know no matter what it is MISERABLE to drive!!
ya i am going on boost this weekend. And no i havent driven one with a CX tranny. I hvae a DX tranny instead. I was gonna get a CX tranny but the person who had it his father threw it away lol
Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mskansan
Tell you what to help yourself understand the idea behind the short geared trans vs. the long geared trans. Hook up the old PS2 and put in Gran Turismo 4. Get your favorite turbo or supercharged car go to the dragstrip and adjust the gears all the way out and try it. It is going to suck. Then go back and shorten the gears little by little and watch the times get better. The longer geared trans is used for top speed if you are going to go 200mph then fine but your not (i think) so **** it. You have to understand that a too short trans will suck as well because you won't be able to use the torque (power band) of the motor. Same as with the too long geared trans you wont have enough power to reach the top speed of the trans. And I agree using the longer trans is not the solution for wheel spin. I also understand that it does take money to get the car to grip but don't give away a good trans killing yourself. I hope this helps.
haha thank you for using that example cuz i used to play that game allllll day so i know exactly what you're talking about

thanks alot man
Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a b16b tranny, thats just about the shortest gear set honda offers
Actually, I believe the JDM ITR has a 4.785 Final Drive, which is the shortest B-series transmission final drive set by Honda.

... and if i drove ont he HWY a lot i would jsut fit an LS 5th...
yep. I have the 4.785 final drive set with the LS fifth and I daily it everywhere. I LOVE the short gearing and can't wait to go on boost

Around town i'm in 5th gear and on the freeway i'm in 5th gear:

5th gear, 50mph: 2,400rpms
5th gear, 80mph: 4,100rpms

Ah the beauty of going through 1st-4th redicously quick and having an LS fifth for teh gas mileage.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sk8shorty012
Actually, I believe the JDM ITR has a 4.785 Final Drive, which is the shortest B-series transmission final drive set by Honda.
Note i said "gear set" and i said that on purpose, while the 98spec ITR is shorter over all its because of the final drive being shorter not the gears, 4th and 5th are actually longer, the b16a/b (and 96 spec and us spec tranny ITR) have the shortest "gear set".
Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not take an si tranny and change the 5th gear so when your on the highway going 70mph at 2k rpms?! and still use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear for boost lovers, maybe 4th

some people like my self want to save gas on the highway
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Note i said "gear set" and i said that on purpose, while the 98spec ITR is shorter over all its because of the final drive being shorter not the gears, 4th and 5th are actually longer, the b16a/b (and 96 spec and us spec tranny ITR) have the shortest "gear set".
Right, so if you were to pair the JDM ITR final drive set with a b16a/b gear seat, it'd technically be the shortest geared OEM Honda transmission for the b-series.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sk8shorty012
Right, so if you were to pair the JDM ITR final drive set with a b16a/b gear seat, it'd technically be the shortest geared OEM Honda transmission for the b-series.

Thats fine but i was referring to the gear set.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion If you didn't understand the gran turismo comparison you should probably go to the library and pick up the biggest automotive technology you find. Sit down and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and when you finish the next step is to read it again until you say damn Blinx is a smart mother ****er.

If you don't like to read stay away from under the hood of a car. OH wait never mind you guys keep my bills paid.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mskansan
In my opinion If you didn't understand the gran turismo comparison you should probably go to the library and pick up the biggest automotive technology you find. Sit down and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and when you finish the next step is to read it again until you say damn Blinx is a smart mother ****er.

If you don't like to read stay away from under the hood of a car. OH wait never mind you guys keep my bills paid.
I just lol'd, but very true on all counts... the grand turismo point was a good one and should be something all of us can do...
Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 AM

WOW! This is getting really dramatic!

I DRIVE a 1995 civic LX as a daily. I started getting a noise from a bearing in the transmission so I swapped it for a CX trans I had laying around. Here are my thoughts on the CX trans......

1) I can hit 65 in 2nd gear without hitting the rev limiter.....on a D15!
2) I can cruise 70mph in 5th gear @ 2400 RPM's!
3) I have to drive in town in 2nd gear....SOMETIMES can use 3rd if traffic moving fast!

Most of the people are right.....the CX IS a miserable trans to drive, but it was meant for fuel economy and nothing more! I am happy with it because I knew it was going to be a dog with this trans......so I wasnt disappointed.

I would say use a DX or LX trans......good gearing I think, especially for turbo. Not too short....not too long. Just my $.02!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, when i had my cx box i would often forget to shift into 4th since it hardly made the motor rev...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i guess you guys are right. i do like my lx tranny cuz it's not that bad it accelerates quick but it still gets good mileage. i do a lot of highway driving so i want to get a cx 5th gear just to get even better on the highway.

Quick Reply: long geared single cam tranny