Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Limp Mode, SEARCHED (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM

T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limp Mode, SEARCHED (Pics Inside)

Okay I am having a problem with my car going right into Limp Mode when I start it up. I read JDMLyfeStyles how to on checking codes the only problem is nothing seemed to match with what he was saying with what I was seeing. But then I was told that the process he wrote up was for a OBD-0 car. Anyways here's pics of what I was told is the correct harness to check ECU codes from with a paper clip. But when I do that nothing happens when I turn the keys to the on position.

the jumper harness that is used to check codes, supposedly.

It's a brown wire and a green wire with a white stripe, is this right??

Is this the end that I stick the paper clip into???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to check those codes.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM

T

Default Re: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (H22JDMEG)

Damn 10 views and no help, cmon please??
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlifestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Way to check codes on your 92-95 civic.
If you go to passanger side kick panel and raise up the carpet u sould see your ecu. and above your ECU there will be a lil plug. iIts grey. with 2 wires coming out of it. One wire is black with a white stripe and the other is a red with a black strip.. I take a spare piece of thin speaker wire and cut off both ends so that the actual copper of the wire is showion on both ends. i twist up both ends so that they are in a nice point. stick one end of the wire into the fist socket on the plug. The other end of the wire into the other socket. Turn your key to the ON position.. dont start your car. just to the ON position. Watch your check engine light on your cluster. it will flash.. 1 long flash is 10. the quick flashes are one. so if ur CEL goes !.....!!! that is a code 13. !....!....!!!!! code 25. then take the code #'s and hop on this thread and see what it is. i hope i could help you all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this what you are talking about? thats for obd1, should be the same for you.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, chill out it's been 4 minutes since your last post. Just for that I'm waiting another minute before I post the answer in my next post ;-)
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that is the right plug. It should've came out of that green rubber piece which plugs into nothing. Just take a paperclip and insert it into the two holes. Turn your key to on position and it should display a check engine light code.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (00ekcoupe)

If you aren't getting anything make sure you stick the paperclip in far enough for a connection. I remember the first time I ever pulled a code (Back in 89) I didnt think I was doing it right either and yes that is the right harness
Old 02-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you aren't getting anything make sure you stick the paperclip in far enough for a connection. I remember the first time I ever pulled a code (Back in 89) I didnt think I was doing it right either and yes that is the right harness</TD></TR></TABLE>

you made us wait a minute for that...
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM

T

Default Re: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (IHateJDM)

Thanks alot you guys for the input, sorry If I'm a lil pushy, I'm just trying to fix my car. I'll go try it again now and make sure it's in there good.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats the rigth plug, I belive its the bottom two holes you stick the paperclip into. Let us knw
Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you made us wait a minute for that... </TD></TR></TABLE>

At least I followed through which is more than I can say for every other chick in your life. HA!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

At least I followed through which is more than I can say for every other chick in your life. HA! </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. really weak comeback
2. = sarcasm
Old 02-09-2006, 11:39 AM

T

Thanks fellas for all the help, but still when I stick the paper clip in there I practically force it in there as far as it will go I get nothing, You think it could be wiring somewhere or something thats making it not work?? I swear I've tried ever possibility and angle with that damn paper clip and nothing. Sometimes when I stick it in there the check engine light won't flash for a second when I turn the keys to the on position and other times it will, is that normal??
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. really weak comeback
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree
Old 02-09-2006, 11:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Sometimes when I stick it in there the check engine light won't flash for a second when I turn the keys to the on position and other times it will, is that normal??</TD></TR></TABLE>

it won't come on right away if its about to give you the code.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree </TD></TR></TABLE>

your mom
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 AM

T

How long does it got to take on OBD-0 cars it was a matter of a second or two, isn't it the same??
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM

yeah, when not jumped, the cel light comes on right away (if you have a code stored), when it is jumped, its stays off for about 2 seconds, then flashes the code.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 AM

This should help some;

http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php
Old 02-09-2006, 11:54 AM

T

Okay thanks I got it to work this time, but it tripped me out cuz the light was freaking hard to say it was so dim, I was throwing a code 6 and a code 2.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:56 AM

T

Do you think cuz of the code 6 my temperature gauge inside the car isn't working?? Cuz currently my temperature gauge isn't working inside the gauge cluster cuz of some wiring issues. Also a code 2 is the O2 sensor, whats the difference between code 1 and 2?? There's two seperate 02 sensors?? Which one do I have to replace??
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 AM

T

If I was to order a wideband O2 sensor would it eliminate the code 2??
Old 02-09-2006, 12:20 PM

T

any input fellas on how to fix the temperature sensor code?? I was told that it was on the thermostat housing, I checked the wiring and it was all cool, but I don't think thats the sensor I think thats the fan switch, then I read that it was in the cylinder head. Any input would be great.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I was to order a wideband O2 sensor would it eliminate the code 2??</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, because obd-1 doesnt have a code 2. 2 = secondary o2, which doesnt exist in an obd-1 system.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

the code 6 is for the tempature sensor that in on the head under the distributor. That sensor would have nothing to do with your gauge not working, the gauge runs off that little one wire sensor that is right next to the coolant temp. you sure its a code 2? i dont see a code to on my mil list
Old 02-09-2006, 12:29 PM

T

Default Re: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (Hybrid93Eg)

I have an OBD-2 motor but it has a OBD-1 ECU and gsr harness. So what are you saying?? That its wrong??
Old 02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any input fellas on how to fix the temperature sensor code?? I was told that it was on the thermostat housing, I checked the wiring and it was all cool, but I don't think thats the sensor I think thats the fan switch, then I read that it was in the cylinder head. Any input would be great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Code 6 is the temp sensor in the t stat housing on the back on the engine, NOT in the head. The one in the head is strickly a sending unit for the temp gauge, nothing else. How to fix it? Simple. If the wiring is good, replace it. Theres nothing more to it.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode, SEARCHED (Pics Inside)