Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lightweight parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight parts

I have a 97 civic dx 2 door coupe. Got it for cheap and I plan on doing a street/drag project with it, i'm looking for lightweight interior parts (preferably carbon fiber).

I started looking on google and all i'm finding is links to forum topics with no links to vendors that sell parts. Does anyone know of any websites where I can start looking.

Parts that i'm currently looking for is a dashboard with gauge cutouts, hood (or whole front clip), trunk lid and etc...

Thanks in advance everyone
Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lightweight parts

Dash isnt heavy and cluster dosent way anything... Plus if you put a diffrent dash in you have to get it re vin and that isnt cheap or fun.. Get caught with a missing vin and they will impound your vehical
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Carbon fiber interior parts? What happened to just gutting the dang thing?

You are going to see the most loss in weight by removing the firewall mat, and all sound deadening.

Seats don't weigh much but a few buckets could drop 20lb's (each seat)

Rear seat is noithing more then a pad, with a very thin metal back on the top portion.

These cars are very light to start with, you wont loose too much weight by loosing interior parts.

A carbon trunk/hood will help.

Also, remember, if you put a roll cage in the car, all that weight you just lost, came back.

Also, if your a fatty go on a deit.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Password JDM makes tonnes of carbon fiber stuff. have fun

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-D...osites-C5.aspx
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by dwkt
Password JDM makes tonnes of carbon fiber stuff. have fun

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-D...osites-C5.aspx
An airbag tray, and a fuel pump cover?

i hate PWJDM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
An airbag tray, and a fuel pump cover?
What, you don't like spending $90 for something you'll just hide under a seat?? That's mad tyte, yo!

As others have said, you won't lose much by changing interior parts to carbon fiber.

If you're looking to keep a semblance of civility to the interior, there are little things you can do that'll be out of sight. Just remember, a lot of those mods will compromise comfort, so if you pull the a/c, you lose the cool air and defroster. If you pull the firewall mat or insulation under the carpets, the car gets noisy and hot. You can also swap out the seats for lightweight racing buckets, but they're pretty awful to ride in for a long time, and 5-point harnesses are miserable on the street (plus you'd have to add back in the weight of the mounting hardware, harness bars, etc.).

If you don't mind a raw, dedicated track car, you can go a lot more nuts with the weight loss program. For example, on our race car, we've focused a lot of attention on eliminating the extra weight where we could do it in big chunks. We stripped the interior down to a single race seat, the dash, and the shifter, which netted about 70 pounds out of the car. We're gutting the doors, and trimming away anything that isn't there for structure or safety (you'd be surprised how heavy car doors are). We're also trying to shave weight from the ends of the car to reduce polar inertia, since this car will see a lot of autocross and track days lapping a road course.

At some point, you need to ask yourself what you're willing to spend to save the weight. Replacing a heavy steel hood with a real carbon fiber one is a great weight savings, but to get one that's carbon fiber, it's going to cost a lot (most "carbon fiber" parts are fiberglass with carbon fiber on them). Steel fenders aren't that heavy to begin with, but is spending $1k for carbon fiber ones worth the 2 pounds you might save? That's the kind of stuff to keep in mind.

Plus, if you're building a drag car, you might want to keep that steel hood to help with weight transfer and traction. Also be sure to check with the rules of the sanctioning body that you're racing with to make sure those modifications are within the class rules before you start modifying the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Master Detailer

I don't think you can run the PWJDM cover with a rear seat, at least, I have heard of any one doing it.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just build your motor and turbo it.. Forget about weightloss unless you personaly could use the weight loss