Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lightweight glass for an EG

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight glass for an EG

Hey guys. Does anybody make lightweight rear hatch and side glass for EG? My goal is to get in the 13 sec 1/4 MILE N/A this season.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Lightweight glass for an EG

plexiglass, thats what im gonna use
Old 04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jamelin
plexiglass, thats what im gonna use
and im sure that will look really good too...besides the fact of it looking just like what it is, cheaply done unshaped plexiglass just cut to fit holes, im more than certain that would definitely not be DOT approved and im assuming(go ahead and say it "*** u me") that the OP is wanting the weight reduction but still wants to drive the vehicle on the street...but if you can get away with just cutting lexan to fit in place of the windows in Illinois, then im moving there.

To the OP, i've seen lexan race windows, cut, shaped(curvature), and made to fit like the stock glass, and is DOT approved but i want to say it was in the 1500 dollar range, ill try to find it again and ill post you a link
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...6&autoview=sku
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and again, unless he's running a full out drag car, which i doubt he is because he'd be shooting for lower than 13's, then he cannot use those windows. "Mounting and care instructions are provided. These windows are not approved for street use. "

To the OP, what exactly are you doing with this car!?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are running a 92 hatch with a H22 buy some slicks and your car will run 13's all day long if you can drive it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 92civlude
Hey guys. Does anybody make lightweight rear hatch and side glass for EG? My goal is to get in the 13 sec 1/4 MILE N/A this season.
not heard of thermoplastics...?

Lexan (or polycarbonate) can be heat formed to just about any shape you need. same goes for acrylic sheet (but i wouldn't recommend that for windows despite the near 100% clearity)

if you or someone you know is a fabricator or body guy, you can make panels from sheet steel to match the shape and curviture of the window glass.. the smoother the better, sand, polish- this makes all the difference in the end. you now have reusable forms for making polycarbonate windows!

since they'll be bigger than your typical home oven, you'll need to do the heating with a heat gun. maybe two... heat as evenly as possible to soften the sheet of polycarb. it may help to preheat the metal forms.

let it cool, trim with a jigsaw and or dremel. drill your holes for mounting.

you can make it look near stock by masking the inside and painting the edges with flat black paint.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

oh, and for the street legal thing.. you may want to look at the possibility of keeping the hatch glass on for the street and swaping it for the track. if i remember right, i think that glass comes out pretty easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a plexiglass vent window on my Bronco for a year after I had to break into it. If nobody catches it, it's ok. I live in Illinois and they don't do inspections
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM

wow thanks for tryin to flame me FearTheH
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
I had a plexiglass vent window on my Bronco for a year after I had to break into it. If nobody catches it, it's ok. I live in Illinois and they don't do inspections
thats it!!!! im moving to illinois! Virginia has yearly inspections and is almost getting to be like California... im suprised we dont have Smog checks, even though our air isnt crap like Cali, its just somethin these retards would do.

And as far as paying for a body guy to do some templates for poly windows, why would you do that???? if he's taking the windows out anyways, wax the windows and lay the poly on top of them and get the curvature from that, why make extra work by making "panels" ? and you can mount the windows the same as honda did... with sealant, not drywall screws or pop rivets like half of these morons do... which is all fine and good if its a straight drag car and dont care about it looking clean and factory. I've been doing body work for 7 years, and thats how i would make someone windows out of lexan/polycarbonate. just my .02
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jamelin
wow thanks for tryin to flame me FearTheH
I wasnt trying to flame you dude, i was simply stating that maybe he wants to keep the car street legal, and like i said, i DONT live in illinois so I dont know your laws. If anything, the OP hasnt given enough info for anyone to give him any good ideas. Not flaming... lighten up
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
I wasnt trying to flame you dude, i was simply stating that maybe he wants to keep the car street legal, and like i said, i DONT live in illinois so I dont know your laws. If anything, the OP hasnt given enough info for anyone to give him any good ideas. Not flaming... lighten up
when in this post did he ever say he wanted to keep it street legal?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Street car. Im at 5300 feet altitude. Over here, N/A 14s are tough! Most of the non turbo Hondas are in the 15-16 second range. Unless your in a K swap or H swap
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are your laws regarding auto glass? you dont want to slap something in there that will get you tickets, or be a serious safety hazard.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure. however, no inspections. I looked at the Summit Racing link. I am gonna try those. Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get Lexan at major hardware stores. Depending on how you mount it, you can use the stock window as a template. Trace it out, cut it with a 4" grinder using a cutting wheel, finish up the edges with a whiz wheel. Lay it in place and mark your holes with a sharpie. Drill the lexan. Lay it back in place and mark the holes on the chassis for your screws or rivets. Then mask off the inside for your border, scuff it with sand paper and spray it with flat black paint (takes on the gloss from the outside but won't reflect in).

The FAL stuff is GREAT, but at that price I've done the same thing at home for $150-200 for the whole car. Mine is a coupe, but same thing. Turned out perfect.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Flex-a-lite makes formed plexiglass window kits for several cars. Check the link below. From what I remember, they werent too steeply priced but its also been about 5 years since I checked pricing on these.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...te-molded.html

Last edited by topramn; 04-27-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Luke G.
when in this post did he ever say he wanted to keep it street legal?
when in this post did he ever say he wasnt planning on keeping it street legal? you have no point gtfo
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when in this post did he ever say he wasnt planning on keeping it street legal? you have no point gtfo
You are the one jumping conclusions you idiot, I gave the guy a link to look at. You are just being an *******.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its only illeagal if you get caught!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here in Houston Tx theirs people with vans with wood as their dam window and i have seen a few that are Plexiglas and plexi glass is clearly viable that it is not a regular DOT certified window. I think this is just stupid. leave the dam factory windows and work on something else to make it into the 13's. If that little 4 cylinder can't pull that car into the 13's with the stock windows than you built it wrong or something. how about you pull the head and PNP that bitch and get a tune. or something.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EVERYBODY IN THIS THREAD NEEDS TO GET SOME NAWSSSSSSSS

seriously, for the weight of the glass, i'd leave it in because of all the hassles. the factory windows will give you aerodynamics. plexiglass is just awful to put in a car. factory glass is ment to shatter too incase of a roll over, i'm pretty sure plexiglass doesn't shatter like glass.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Here in Houston Tx theirs people with vans with wood as their dam window and i have seen a few that are Plexiglas and plexi glass is clearly viable that it is not a regular DOT certified window. I think this is just stupid. leave the dam factory windows and work on something else to make it into the 13's. If that little 4 cylinder can't pull that car into the 13's with the stock windows than you built it wrong or something. how about you pull the head and PNP that bitch and get a tune. or something.
THANK YOU! You just convinced me! Im ordering the lightwieght glass today! SEE YOU IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol, Ok

Quick Reply: Lightweight glass for an EG