Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LCA bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LCA bolts

Does anyone know the pitch of the rear lca bolts? I know the size is M10x80 for the lca and M10x84 for the shock bolts. I need two of each. I got some from homedepot the pitch is larger than the original ones so it wouldn't thread in.

Does anyone know the exact pitch or maybe when they ordered that size if they got the fine thread, super fine, or coarse thread?

Also, if you purchased the bolts from hardware store that worked for you, which store did you buy them from? What grade bolts did you buy? I think the original bolts are grade 10. The ones from homedepot were grade 8 so I'm thinking those will hold fine even though they're of lesser strength than the OEMs.

Let me know.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

figured it out... it's gotta be 1.25mm for threads.... now i gotta find a place that sells these.... most are M10x1.50x80 so the thread is too coarse

So for anyone looking for the rear LCA bolts you need the following:

shock bolts (2): 10mm x 80mm (1.25mm thread pitch or fine thread)
lca bolts (4): 10mm x 80-85mm (1.25mm thread pitch or fine thread)
Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if anyone is interested i'll create rear lca bolt kits probably for around 15-20 shipped for all 6 bolts required for 92-95 civics (will probably fit crxs and integras as well)

if someone wants it let me know and i'll grab more bolts when i order for my setup... they'll be at least 10 grade (same as OEM) and zinc plated (no rust problems)

let me know!!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (civic_driver)

i would just goto a junk yard and get them for 2-3 bucks, maybe free.. i dunno..

i seriously... seriously wouldn't run home depot bolts in my suspension components.. You should be able to find a junkyard in your area at http://www.car-part.com
Old 09-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so they rust in there again? no thanks... i'm not going through this again... i'm getting non-rusting bolts and anti-seizing them to hell

it doesn't matter if it's home depot or not... it's all about the way the bolt was made... i.e. grade, plating, treatments, etc.

the oem bolt is grade 10 and it rusts to hell.... they actually saved on costs with those parts so i'll actually get a better quality bolt from home depot
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, if people are interested, 6 bolts for $15 shipped

material: steel
grade: 8.8
treatments: zinc plated
type: partially threaded
size: 10mm
thread pitch: 1.25mm (fine thread)
length: 80mm

this will work as a replacement for both the lca and shock bolts

IM me for details
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're getting that the bolts from Home Depot are Grade 8.8 from the head of the bolt, that's incorrect I believe. I used a Home Depot bolt for about 2 days for the innermost LCA bolt, drove maybe .5 miles, and when I took it out to replace it with an OEM bolt, the Home Depot bolt had a slight bend in it. I would do some more research on here about bolts from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. before you use them. There are many threads on here discounting the reliability of those bolts. Besides, better safe than sorry. Use some anti-seize on the OEM bolt, and know that it's OK.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (******)

Why the fawk would you replace a suspension bolt with a home depot bolt just because there's no rust??? Get Honda bolts, put antisieze on them, heck and paint them with rust proofing paint.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: (dpkelly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpkelly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why the fawk would you replace a suspension bolt with a home depot bolt just because there's no rust??? Get Honda bolts, put antisieze on them, heck and paint them with rust proofing paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the man is correct.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are not from home depot... i was arguing a point there... that *probably* honda and home depot get their bolts from the same place but the bolts have different treatments (hardened, etc.)

so just because they are from home depot doesn't mean they are ****... you have to look at the bolt's properties, etc.

anyway, i get the bolts from an automotive certified place and not home depot
Old 09-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are not from home depot... i was arguing a point there... that *probably* honda and home depot get their bolts from the same place but the bolts have different treatments (hardened, etc.)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't bet a crusty, lime-scaled 1945 penny on that. If you look at the construction of a bolt from Home Depot as opposed to that of one from Honda, they are different. The shank on the Honda bolt is different than that of the Home Depot bolt, and I'll bet it can withstand a greater shear force.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are not from home depot...
anyway, i get the bolts from an automotive certified place and not home depot</TD></TR></TABLE>

How should we have known. The only place you mentioned getting the bolts from was Home Depot, or another "hardware store".

Bottom line is if a LCA bolt fails, it's going to be much more costly to repair the damage than the extra $4 or $5 it would be to get the bolt from Honda.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (******)

^^ the man is correct, the bolts are only a few dollars @ honda, when ur driving down the road and that LCA bolt fails (from Home Depot) its gonna suck ***
Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from local dealer: shock bolt is $14 each and the lca bolt is $12 each... 2x14=28
4x12=48

grand total=$74 for bolts

i got them from online honda dealer for a little bit cheaper but still a major ripoff

i don't care if they cleaned those bolts with their mouths, they are not worth that much... everything in the honda dealer is a rip off. that's why only clueless rich people go there for repairs.. or those who still have warranties (i'm not trying to induce any stereotypes here... just observations)

anyway... i'm sure if you bought those same exact bolts directly from the manufacturer it won't run you more than 20-30 bucks AT THE MOST!!

This is the description of the place I got some back up bolts for future use since i'm planning on replacing shocks with high performance ones in future and will need to remove those bolts again

Steel grade 10.9 -- alloy steel quenched, tempered, and zinc plated (usually yellow). Best for automotive use and other areas where high strength is needed.

that's pretty much what that bolt at the dealer is... so it should work fine.... the ones at homedepot i saw weren't hardened, zinc plate, and so on..so they wouldn't work very well with this setup.. they will rust, might brake, etc.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting comparison. That's why they're called stealerships.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpkelly)

One more thing, then I'm gonna dip outta this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from local dealer: shock bolt is $14 each and the lca bolt is $12 each... 2x14=28
4x12=48

grand total=$74 for bolts

i got them from online honda dealer for a little bit cheaper but still a major ripoff

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This could be the problem. I paid a little under $6 for a LCA bolt from my Honda dealer. Your dealership really does sound like a stealership. Online is cheaper, you're right, but by the time you add in shipping and handling, it's no longer worth it.

Like I said before, if you get it from Honda you know its genuine and you know it won't fail.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with you but for ~80 for 6 pieces of metal? come on now... i can get me a used d15b7 for that amount with plenty of bolts and nuts...

major rip off!
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a thought. What do those shock and muffler places charge for replacement suspension bolts? You could also try carquest.com or others.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure, have to find out next time it happens I guess (I really hope this **** never happens).

Anyway, Honda dealers are crooks as of recent years.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=875140 reminds me of why I try to stay as far away from the dealer as possible. $28 for half a foot of 4 gauge wire that has a ring terminal and a battery terminal? Get the **** outta here.

CROOKS!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The real problem is Honda's rear suspension setup doesn't owe itself to easy maintenance/replacement. Typically rear shocks have the bushing inside it and the rusted bolt would easily come out with it. But not Honda.

I here ya on the battery cable. Replaced them on all my Honda cars/vans and got a better ground. They go after about 7-10 years.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does everyone think that Honda has their own company that makes their hardware for them and that it's superior to all the other hardware companies out there. A hardened bolt is a hardened bolt, no matter who made it, it all has the same specs that it has to meet. An 8.8 bolt has the same specs no matter who made it. Get in your car go to Home Depot get the hardened bolts or 8.8 and put them in and your done for a fraction of the price of a dealership, for the same quality bolt. Oh wait i forgot that honda uses only JDM bolts, i mean come on. I've put 8.8 Home Depot bolts in Backhoes, Gradalls, adn D-4 Bulldozers and they haven't broke, seems to me than they get stressed me than what they would in a honda.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if anyone works for the dealer, could you find out which company makes those bolts so we can look up the exact specs and treatments on those bolts?

I'm pretty sure any bolt made for automotive use would work in this case. Home depot has some automotive bolts but not in those sizes needed for the rear suspension. The only place I found those is online.

And also, it's not just the bolts they scam you on. It's every single part in the car. They make enormous profits on parts alone.

If you had to piece together a honda by buying all the parts from them, you'd probably spend more than 100K if not more.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, for everyone here referencing the word "genuine" remember that genuine means "is exact replacement".... you don't need exact replacement... you need a part that matches the specs of the part in your car

i.e. many manufacturers make parts for honda and many other vehicles... they get the blueprints from honda and the know the exact specs of the part they're making so they can make an OEM replica at cheaper prices than dealers...
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if anyone works for the dealer, could you find out which company makes those bolts so we can look up the exact specs and treatments on those bolts?

I'm pretty sure any bolt made for automotive use would work in this case. Home depot has some automotive bolts but not in those sizes needed for the rear suspension. The only place I found those is online.

And also, it's not just the bolts they scam you on. It's every single part in the car. They make enormous profits on parts alone.

If you had to piece together a honda by buying all the parts from them, you'd probably spend more than 100K if not more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess what ALL car companies do this. You make money off the accessories and parts not the car. Same reason that Playstation retailers make about $10 off of every PS2 they sell but they make 15-20 on controllers and memory cards. Many companies do it you just do not realise it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LCA bolts (civic_driver)

dude, if you need some my uncle owns a junk yard in duarte,ca. i will get as many as you like. as long as you pay for shipping. $78 its unheard of.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ralphie, i do realize that but when you look at the profit margins, you realize that dealers are crooks

drktorn, i'll keep that in mind... already emptied my pockets for a new set of bolts from the online honda dealer so i'm set for now.. i'll look you up if i need parts

Quick Reply: LCA bolts