Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default labor cost to replace radiator

Does anyone know how much a shop would charge
to replace my radiator. 98 civic ex.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (kreative)

Do it yourself, basic tools.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy to do yourself, trust me! I did it before I even had any mechanical experience, back when I was a young teen.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure you could find someone on this site from Cali, buy them a six pack, and they would most likely help you out.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 PM

How ever long it takes based on a $65 - $85 per labor hour...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are willing to drive near sacramento ill do it for 20 bucks labor. lol just for fun
Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do it yourself, basic tools.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2. If you're looking for basic projects to increase experience, thats a good one! The most challenging thing you'll have to do is bleed the coolent.

All you have to do;
-Drain coolent
-Unscrew Hoses from rad
-Unclip Sensors
-Unbolt top mounts (10mm)
-Pull rad out
-Put new rad in
-Reconnect hoses and sensors
-Replace mounts
-Fillup and bleed
-Done!

Whole project shouldn't take more then 1 1/2 hours, and thats assuming you've never done anything mechanical in your life.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it yourself. All you need is a 10mm socket wrench and a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Step 1: Let car cool off for at least one hour. Remove radiator cap.

Step 2: Remove drain plug from bottom of radiator. Drain fluid into pan.

Step 3: Remove radiator stay bracket (1 10mm bolt). Remove overflow hose from nipple.

Step 4: Remove lower hose by pinching clamp with pliers. Let drain into pan. Remove top hose in same fashion.

Step 5: Remove radiator from car. Be careful to unplug fan. Remove rubber boots from bottom.

Step 6: Remove fan from original radiator (4 10mm bolts). Bolt onto new radiator. Place rubber boots onto new radiator.

Step 7: Put new radiator into car. Attach all hoses.

Step 8: Make sure that the drain plug is tightened securely.

Step 9: Begin filling radiator with approved radiator fluid (same color as original. DO NOT MIX ORANGE AND GREEN). Fill to top.

Step 10: Quadruple-fold a rag and place over the radiator fill. Hold with hand, and pump lower hose with your other hand. Allow it to drain into motor. Fill again. Do this until it no longer drains.

Step 11: Start car with radiator cap off. Allow coolant to suck down into motor. Fill again. When coolant no longer drains, place your rag over the hole again, and pump the top hose to remove any bubbles.

Step 12: Replace radiator cap. Shut off car.

Enjoy.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

nice steps, hopefully he is able to do it himself now, but i have always wondered about why not to use orange coolant. i use standard green prestone 50/50 but am just curious
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (ridin98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice steps, hopefully he is able to do it himself now, but i have always wondered about why not to use orange coolant. i use standard green prestone 50/50 but am just curious</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use whatever you want. You just can't mix them. Unless you want to flush your block with water first, then use what you used before. Something about the two mixes causes a breakdown.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 PM

**** there was the orange stuff in it when i bought it 2 years ago, and i just changed it to the green back at the end of summer, should i drain it?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can use whatever you want. You just can't mix them. Unless you want to flush your block with water first, then use what you used before. Something about the two mixes causes a breakdown.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never heard this, but the prestone green and orange stuff says it mixable with any antifreeze/coolant, reguardless of color.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can use whatever you want. You just can't mix them. Unless you want to flush your block with water first, then use what you used before. Something about the two mixes causes a breakdown.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the orange stuff, is not ment for our seals. Plus I would not use it after all the recalls and lawsuit gm had.

Dexcool is a formulated antifreeze/coolant used in over thirty-four million vehicles sold by General Motors. Used by GM since 1996 in most car and light truck models, Dexcool is manufactured and distributed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.

Although Dexcool is marketed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles, consumers say the product is defective and damages vehicles. According to reports, Dexcool has been linked to corroded and clogged radiators and radiator caps, eroded water pumps, rotten radiator hoses, leaky cooling system gaskets, chronic overheating and engine damage.

If your car has been damaged because of Dexcool, it may be important for you to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

Attorneys associated with InjuryBoard.com will evaluate your case free of charge. In addition, you will not pay any fees unless your attorney recovers money for you. Please click on the free Ask An Attorney button to take advantage of this valuable service.

The personal injury information on InjuryBoard.com is copyrighted material.

Its goes on an on
http://www.google.com/search?h...earch
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually the orange stuff, is not ment for our seals. Plus I would not use it after all the recalls and lawsuit gm had.

Dexcool is a formulated antifreeze/coolant used in over thirty-four million vehicles sold by General Motors. Used by GM since 1996 in most car and light truck models, Dexcool is manufactured and distributed by ChevronTexaco, Equilon and ChevronTexaco Global Lubricants.

Although Dexcool is marketed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles, consumers say the product is defective and damages vehicles. According to reports, Dexcool has been linked to corroded and clogged radiators and radiator caps, eroded water pumps, rotten radiator hoses, leaky cooling system gaskets, chronic overheating and engine damage.

If your car has been damaged because of Dexcool, it may be important for you to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

Attorneys associated with InjuryBoard.com will evaluate your case free of charge. In addition, you will not pay any fees unless your attorney recovers money for you. Please click on the free Ask An Attorney button to take advantage of this valuable service.

The personal injury information on InjuryBoard.com is copyrighted material.

Its goes on an on
http://www.google.com/search?h...earch</TD></TR></TABLE>

Copy & Paste ? Good info though! Green coolant FTW.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Copy & Paste ? Good info though! Green coolant FTW. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course, some people don't like clicking links.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:03 PM

its pretty darn easy you should do it yourself if you dont' know how to im sure we can help you
Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james
&raquo;
</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">X2. If you're looking for basic projects to increase experience, thats a good one! The most challenging thing you'll have to do is bleed the coolent.

All you have to do;
-Drain coolent
-Unscrew Hoses from rad
-Unclip Sensors
-Unbolt top mounts (10mm)
-Pull rad out
-Put new rad in
-Reconnect hoses and sensors
-Replace mounts
-Fillup and bleed
-Done!

Whole project shouldn't take more then 1 1/2 hours, and thats assuming you've never done anything mechanical in your life.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

forgot to add...take off radiator fan
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (b16nonoy)

DON'T remove cap if car is warm
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16nonoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

forgot to add...take off radiator fan </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I covered it pretty well
Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (RCautoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RCautoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DON'T remove cap if car is warm </TD></TR></TABLE>
haha, yeah. The sticker isn't lying.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (turbociviccoupe)

lol im no car mechanic guy.. i do know people who work on cars but
not anywhere near me. i wish i had someone near me that can simply do this jobs..
Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: labor cost to replace radiator (Skunk.Werks)

ok ill try.. anyone from san francisco.. holla at me lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM

um im new to this. so detailed description is highly recommended.. pls thanks lol..
Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 AM

here's a couple of links for ya if it helps any, but to take it in would be a waste of money. It's pretty simple. Just a couple bolts, clamps, coolant, and water.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1424191

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1529645
Old 02-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i was swapping my tranny it only took me like 5-10 mins to remove the radiator on my eg. it was just one 10mm on top and like 2-3 hoses? tooo basic. and i've never done anything like this before.

Quick Reply: labor cost to replace radiator