Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Koni yellows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni yellows?

I need some shocks and im intrested in looking into koni yellows. Right now I have piece of **** Max Speed springs and I know koni yellow's where almost ment to go w/ GC's, so how well would these springs work with Max Speed's?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 AM

no the koni wernt made to go around gc's, gc's have a set up thats made to go on konis....food for thought haha
Old 12-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Intresting, thanks. So how is the ride with Koni yellows even on **** springs like mine?
Old 12-07-2003, 07:34 AM

should be good althought you may wanna get some better coil overs down the road gc's or skunk2.

i have had many suspension set ups and i can say that id rather a cheapo spring and high quality shock than cheapo shock and high quality spring anyday!!! but high quality both is tthe way to go.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Koni yellows? (myh4tch)

I've got Koni Yellows on my built hatch and they are awsome. If you have stiff spring rates they are one of the best struts to have.

I'm running my Koni Yellows matched up with Eibach custom ERS coil-over springs with 425F 550R rates. No tokicos or KYBs could ever handle these rates, but the Koni Yellows handle them and the ride is never bouncy at all. Very stiff, but not bouncy.

You can order new coil-over springs from The Wheel Source:

http://www.wheel1.com/

They also sell Koni Yellows as well. Call and ask for Doug Greenup. He's who sold me my Koni Yellows and ERS springs.

The springs are available in custom rates, lengths, diameters, etc. and will fit right on your old Maxspeed sleeves and perches if you order them like this:

8'' long, 2.5'' diameter

Rates will depend on what you want from the car. Do you want a softer ride? Do you wan a stiff ride? Do you want the car to have ***-happy handling characteristics? Spring rates will determine all of that.

The ERS springs are pretty cheap too. Call Doug up and see what they are going for.

Let him know what you're looking for in terms if ride and handling, and I'm sure he can help you out with rates. He's been auto-Xing for years and years now and knows Hondas very well when it comes to suspension tuning.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thanks a lot... Looks like im going to be giving Doug a call...
Old 12-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where would be the best place to purchase online koni/gc combo??
Old 12-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the koni yellows and eibach sports. The car feels okay, I liked my KYB and H&R combo better. If I set the shocks to full firm, it rides like a jet ski, bunces everywhere. If set it normal, it feels like my stock shocks with the eibach sports. I'm not too impressed with them. The reason I got them, because everyone here is saying how good there are. Overall, my rating is netural.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellows? (Jun)

Maybe its your springs man?

I have koni yellows with GCs.....awesome is all I have to say.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

styledright.com - aim saritus sells them for a good price shipped

I love my koni yellows
lifetime warranty
Old 12-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the koni yellows and eibach sports. The car feels okay, I liked my KYB and H&R combo better. If I set the shocks to full firm, it rides like a jet ski, bunces everywhere. If set it normal, it feels like my stock shocks with the eibach sports. I'm not too impressed with them. The reason I got them, because everyone here is saying how good there are. Overall, my rating is netural. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How low is your car?

Something is wrong bro, because if mine handle much stiffer rates of 425F 550R with NO bounce then yours should never be bouncy.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Koni yellows? (B18C5-EH2)

the decription bouncy is all relative, there is bouncy sloppy, and theres bouncy firm.

I had tokico blues with 350f/250r ground control spring rates, and it was bouncy sloppy, I would hit a bump and bounce afterwards because is was sloppy and did not have enough rebound/compression on the shocks.

After I got tokico illuminas in the front, the car feels bouncy firm now, but it is not sloppy at all. I run them at full stiff all the time and they are not stiff enough for me, so I am saving up for some koni yellows.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellows? (NINJASPY)

off topic.....i have GC on my car right now and the spring rate is 400F and 500R on stock shocks. the ride is very bouncy. if i get koni yellows will it be a direct fit? any mod i have to do? thanks
Old 12-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellows? (B18C5-EH2)

My is not a coilover. it is regular eibach sports. Koni is set at oppsite of firm right now. I guess soft. The drop is about 2 inches, since I move the perches on the shocks to the lowest setting in the rear only. what's the firmness that you set it at?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The koni's will be fine with any quality spring. I am currently running a set of koni yellows w/eibach pro-kits and the ride is great. You just have to adjust the shocks to find the right setting that works well with your springs.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellows? (kommon_sense)

There are lots road construction near me, bumps are everywhere. I'll try to find that spot for me. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently use Koni Yellows with el cheapo Sprint springs, and the combo is great for city driving. It's obviously not a track or auto-x setup, and I don't intend for it to be. I run about 1-1.5 turn in front and around 1/2 turn in the rear. (I set it back in January, so I don't really remember at this point, anymore.) Anyway, with the soft spring rates of the Sprints and the Yellows set on a very soft setting, the ride is almost stock-like but just a bit firmer. If I fully stiffen the Yellows ... or maybe a turn from full stiff ... the ride is very well dampened, feels controlled, and doesn't feel "sloppy" at all. But thx to Sprint's soft progressive-rated design, it takes a split second before the car sets into a corner. Better springs would definitely help here.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni yellows? (Daniel)

Thanks for the info, I'll try some different setting this weekend and test it out.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The koni's will be fine with any quality spring. I am currently running a set of koni yellows w/eibach pro-kits and the ride is great. You just have to adjust the shocks to find the right setting that works well with your springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What settings do you use?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Koni yellows? (Creep)

I also run Koni Yellows with GC coils (425f/300r) but will be switching to 425f/500r soon). Probably the best money I have spent yet on suspension outside of some really expensive coilovers.
I doubt you would be disappointed. I would definetly use them on my next car/set-up.
Not my daily driver anymore so I usually run full turn hard on the struts, which may change after switching the rear coils.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the koni yellows and eibach sports. The car feels okay, I liked my KYB and H&R combo better. If I set the shocks to full firm, it
rides like a jet ski, bunces everywhere. If set it normal, it feels like my stock shocks with the eibach sports. I'm not too impressed with
them. The reason I got them, because everyone here is saying how good there are. Overall, my rating is netural.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The koni's will be fine with any quality spring. I am currently running a set of koni yellows w/eibach pro-kits and the ride is great. You just have to adjust the shocks to find the right setting that works well with your springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the thing right there. You take regular ol progressive lowering springs and throw Koni Yellows on there at stiff setting, and your car will be way over dampenened...giving you a "bouncy feel".

I was running 350 rear springs with my Yellows for awhile, and had the setting right in the middle...and it complimented the spring rate perfectly. Now that I'm at a 500 rear spring, I have the shock all the way stiff, and then backed off a tad(what Koni recommends....never go ALL the way stiff, but rather back off slightly)

The spring rate/damper setting work hand in hand to have the perfect setup. With an Eibach or H&R lowering spring, KYB AGX's would suit you perfectly....much cheaper also
Old 01-20-2004, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how do you guys determine your spring rates on the ground controls?? my friend bought the regular setting from gc which i think is 200F , 180R (please correct me if im wrong) and it was stiff as **** with his konis. How are you guys running such stiff setups on the street??