Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Koni G/C install Trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni G/C install Trouble!!!

I am installing a set of koni yellows and G/C setup, well, when i got the driver side rear, the bolt was a bit tough and not co-operating. Anyways, I stripped the threads on the shock....

My question is, do i have to order a new shock?? or can i put a self-locking nut and let it go? i want it to be safe, i really don't want the bolt to come out when i'm driving, that would be bad....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Koni G/C install Trouble!!! (redrelease)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrelease &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or can i put a self-locking nut and let it go? </TD></TR></TABLE>

How would you do that? The shock has the threaded nut on the rear side which is stripped, right?

I say take the shock to a machine shop and see what they can do for the threads.

I screwed the threads on the camber bolt the other week while changing my suspension out (same set-up as you). I was able to get the bolt back in good enough for the time being:

Old 09-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP: use an air grinder to get rid of the welded nut and you can use a locking nut in its place without a problem. I've done it many a time when that particular component becomes damaged.

To the guy above me: drill and rethread that hole you stripped bigger so you don't have to worry about pulling that loose under conering or droop. That's a pair of bolts that could ruin your day in a hurry
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To the OP: use an air grinder to get rid of the welded nut and you can use a locking nut in its place without a problem. I've done it many a time when that particular component becomes damaged.

To the guy above me: drill and rethread that hole you stripped bigger so you don't have to worry about pulling that loose under conering or droop. That's a pair of bolts that could ruin your day in a hurry </TD></TR></TABLE>

word. ask me how i know. good thing my car was on blocks
Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

Well, I ended up cuttin off the weld-on nut and using a self-locking nut. I am still a bit worried about how well the nut will hold on ( 5 Auto-X a year and daily driving.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redrelease)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrelease &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I ended up cuttin off the weld-on nut and using a self-locking nut. I am still a bit worried about how well the nut will hold on ( 5 Auto-X a year and daily driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you are worried about it, then take the shock to a machine shop (like earlier stated) and have them weld on a new nut. when i installed my koni's....one of the nuts was welded off-center...i ended up just forcing the bolt in..:-/ maybe koni needs to step up on their nut-welding