Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound

My 99 Si is making a knocking sound when I am slowing down with my car in neutral. It feels like something is hitting my peddles. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but does anyone have an idea of how I can diagnose it?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Knocking sound

check your rotors ans pads.
may have gotten warped.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it do it when you're on the brakes? Does it go away when you accelerate?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel like it goes away when I put on the brakes, but it definitely goes away when I accelerate
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EGKUSH
check your rotors ans pads.
may have gotten warped.

This started after repairs from an accident, so do you think that has anything to do with it?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you drive the car again, I highly suggest jacking it up and shaking down the front tires.

Just a short back story. My friend has a 97 DX 5 speed. We were driving it one night and noticed when on the gas the knocking noise would go away, and braking would make it slightly go away, but would still be there. We took the car back to my garage and I jacked the front end up. Shook down the halfshafts and they were fine. Went to the right side of the car and grabbed the rim. Shook it left and right and immediately knew what the problem was. The lug nuts were all on finger tight and the rim as extremely loose on the hub. His girlfriend had hit a curb or something in the snow and cracked the rim and knocked the rim loose. They got lucky that the studs and nuts were all fine still, but the rim was cracked and a chunk of the tire was missing.

Check that out first.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean by shaking down the front tires?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went out to look at it, and sure enough, three lug nuts on my driver's side front tires were lose. I took it for a quick drive after I tightened them, and it looks good.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by inaety
I just went out to look at it, and sure enough, three lug nuts on my driver's side front tires were lose. I took it for a quick drive after I tightened them, and it looks good.
sue shop that did repairs
Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, haha, I took off the rims after them. But one of my timing belt pulleys are bent and my power steering pump is out. and they're "debating" fixing that, even though the crash was on the driver's headlight. it shattered by the force of the impact, and they don't think that could have damaged my timing belt........
Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! talk about saftey!!
imagine you accelerate to get ride of the noise, next thing you know the damn tire comes off!!
good thing you fixed it
Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as i hate to admit it i managed to do this too. i snugged the lug nuts while my car was up on jacks and i somehow forgot to tighten them once i had the car back down on the ground. i was going to the mall about 20 mins away by freeway and i noticed a knocking sound and i'm like wtf. The last thing i thought it was was the lug nuts. my friend was even like hey did you tighten them? and i'm like yea pretty sure. so we get there and i go take a look at both rims and sure enough i was able to take 3 of the 4 lug nuts off by hand. i can't imagine the hell storm i would have encountered had the whole rim/tire just flown off my car goin down the freeway needless to say we decided it was unsafe to drive as is, so we had to walk like 15 mins to the nearest store that would carry a socket set. After purchasing what i needed we both walked back to the car and tightened em all up. we then proceeded to get into the car and drive back to lowes where i then returned the socket set lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea oil three weeks ago I cub checked it. said what ever a week later my lugs were loose all my studs broke off destroyed my fender bent a tie rod and postpone the dreams of my car getting cams
Old 12-29-2008, 04:21 AM

A few years back my buddies and I were at the track and my buddy switched over to his drag radials onto is FWD DSM. He made a 12 second pass and came back to the pits saying the whole car felt like it was going to fall apart and that's when he realized that he didn't tighten the lugs. I guess he was in a hurry when they called his number or something. The crazy part was after he just got done saying that, some camaro broke and axle and went right into the wall. We all had bad feelings that night it being that it was friday the 13th. So he put on his street tires and we left feeling lucky.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're welcome.

Btw, by shaking down a tire I mean grabbing it on the left and right side and shaking it back and forth. This is a good way to check tie rod ends. You can also grab the top and bottom sides and shake back and forth. This is a good way to check for ball joints, LCA bushings, and wheel bearings.