Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Kinda Newbie with awesome car

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda Newbie with awesome car

Okay I used to be a chevy driver. Whatever. My firends and I recently built a 93 Eg hatch FULLY REBUILT, body work and everything.
Mods are as follows
JDM B16 swap with PnP and b18c cams.
Intake (short Ram)
Megan Header
Test pipe (Thank you OBD1)
Full mandrel bent 2.5" (knockoff)
Tein 1.5" spr'o'ngs
Generic bars
Drag 10 spokes 15" with Nitto NT450's
Skunk Shorty
Honda Blockoff Radio plate
Dupont Flat White

Okay so question is, I got noisy *** cams, like rattling exhasut er something but stethascoped it to the cams. All parts are new in vavle train. SOemone said could be old cam new parts. Still runs like a champ.
2. Runs richer than Bill gates when VTEC kicks in (PULLS HARD)
3.Lopey Idle from 1-1500 then settles to 900 chunky and wants to stall. Rarely settles if does like 1k.
4.Wehn I drive it rreal hard for a while in VTEC most of time. (Live in ohio, kool twisties) it will backfire sometimes spit flames. (Thinking maybe cuz rich?)
Should I swap cams out to upgrade er keep these and apexi tune?
Runnign to track wednesday to grab some times. Will have pic soon. Thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your obviously going to have backfires every so often if its rich, you dont have a CAT, lol.

Rough idle could be from a malfunctioning IAC system. Theres like 10 posts a day on those.
Those cam's would not be a direct cause of a rough idle.

It sounds like you need to bring it to a tuner, regardless of what you do, and get a proper tune. Sounds like your running just slightly rich, its not like your pouring out clouds of black smoke when you accelerate (too rich)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ch3vy3ater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay so question is, I got noisy *** cams, like rattling exhasut er something but stethascoped it to the cams. All parts are new in vavle train. SOemone said could be old cam new parts. Still runs like a champ.
2. Runs richer than Bill gates when VTEC kicks in (PULLS HARD)
3.Lopey Idle from 1-1500 then settles to 900 chunky and wants to stall. Rarely settles if does like 1k.
4.Wehn I drive it rreal hard for a while in VTEC most of time. (Live in ohio, kool twisties) it will backfire sometimes spit flames. (Thinking maybe cuz rich?)
Should I swap cams out to upgrade er keep these and apexi tune?
Runnign to track wednesday to grab some times. Will have pic soon. Thanks guys!</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) A slight rattling noise is normal in VTEC motors. I've heard it on every VTEC motor I've ever heard. Though in order to see how much of a rattle you're talking about, you need a sound recording or something, the valve lash may need to be adjusted.
2) What ECU are you using?
3) The problem is most likely the IACV or a vacuum leak. You can try a different IACV and see if it does it, and clean the FITV. If that doesn't do it, it's a vacuum leak.
4) Stop using this half-*** tune.

Take it to a dyno and have the ITR (or GSR?) cams tuned properly. I'm actually surprised you're not leaning out but be happy so. You're dumping ****-tons of fuel with this half-assed tuned ECU setup and it's not working right. Bring it to a dyno or put the stock cams back in and run a stock ECU. It needs to be tuned.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM

Got Pics of it? As for the ticking running Cheap gas can cause it too.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (john256)

my pics are on my myspace Im way too lazy to photobucket them and they never stay on too long, http://www.myspace.com/eyesofyourdeath