Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a kid finally gets his dream...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a kid finally gets his dream...

after about 2 years of work and a bull **** suzuki sidekick that died in a month, i finally get my dream project, a civic. after my suzuki died, i was without a car for the last 3 months, walking to work and school. for the last week or so i have been looking at cars with my parents, and while i was looking at civics and miatas (its hard to find integras around here), they where looking at jeeps and rangers. finally i found a civic in the auto trader last night in san diego. i got down and test drive it, redlining it and chirping the tires in 2nd as i felt the drive way. after coming back, and geting a few words for the take off, we negatiated the price down from a discounted (:cough: bullshit :cough $5995, down to $5750 for a total of 6600 with tax and all. i dont have the car yet, im going to my credit union tomarrow to do the final paper work and im picking it up sunday. now the car details .

97 civic ex
all power with sunroof
alloy wheels

its stock, but hell its nice to know im going to be driving again soon. better yet on top of that, today was my last day of highschool, my graduation is friday. lastly, im not just posting this because im a new civic owner looking to rice it out, i have been on and off many forums, especialy this one, dreaming of one day having a honda to turn into a nice daily driven autocrosser, and im just really excited about finally getting to do it.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (divisionskate)

to each his own. Hell, my piece of **** ef hatch made me happy when I was 16
Old 06-02-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (aallbbeerrtttttt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your "dream project/car/autocrosser" is a civic...you're smoking some good crack..

i'd get a miata &gt; civic anyday for a project/autocrosser...

civics are good for commuting and 32mpg and that's it...face the reality kid..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Civics are good for more than just that. I autocross my DD civic hatch. Its a sweet little car, and to each his own. I hate miatas, just because that is all I see at the AutoX events. I rarely see a civic or any honda/acura for that matter.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (fast95eg8)

i hope your definition of 'ricing it out' is keepin it stock lookin but clean with no bigger than 16 inch LIGHT wheels, a good swap that has some work done, a turbo kit with PROPPER TUNNING, and a reliable set of gauges. cuz then that would be one hella nice civic for a daily....

and if not... please save yourself the embarrassment of being loud, ugly, and slow...

but if its the first one... continue reading on Honda-Tech and RESEARCH everything before you do it to your car and youll be good.
welcome to the darkside
Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your "dream project/car/autocrosser" is a civic...you're smoking some good crack..

i'd get a miata &gt; civic anyday for a project/autocrosser...

civics are good for commuting and 32mpg and that's it...face the reality kid..</TD></TR></TABLE>

miata is a girls car
ion redline is a girls car
cobalt ss is a girls car

geez.... you guys are getting fruity
Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice bro...i'd prefer you'd get a 99-00 but a 97 is koo too...just have fun mang...congrats on graduatioing man...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by divisionskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. i got down and test drive it, redlining it and chirping the tires in 2nd as i felt the drive way. after coming back, and geting a few words for the take off </TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet this car is wrecked or blown up in the next 3 months
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
cobalt ss is a girls car

geez.... you guys are getting fruity</TD></TR></TABLE>

Call me fruity mc fruit then but i ******* love this car, especially when it looks like this:

Build up pics of this soon to be 1000whp monster check here: http://www.tunerzine.com/articles.php?id=168
Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (Luserkid)

Luserkid, are you assiociated with the group or team that built that thing?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (Br1anPham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Luserkid, are you assiociated with the group or team that built that thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** I WISH!!!! I applied to work at Rage back when they were looking for a new mechanic but i didnt have the transportation to make it out there (there about a hour and half from me) But i did tune there a few times and plan on keeping going with them. Great guys.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** I WISH!!!! I applied to work at Rage back when they were looking for a new mechanic but i didnt have the transportation to make it out there (there about a hour and half from me) But i did tune there a few times and plan on keeping going with them. Great guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree, thats one killer project alright.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hondas are the best&gt;&gt; miatas are for **** and hags oh and frisco dikes
Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 PM
NooB

congrats.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Default Re: (civic nation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic nation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hondas are the best&gt;&gt; miatas are for **** and hags oh and frisco dikes </TD></TR></TABLE>

oohhd
Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a kid finally gets his dream... (IT'S ME DAVID)

to answer a lot of questions, heres my plans for my car so far:

1)definally first im going to tune it up, check everything to make sure everythings ok before i begin to build anything (everything seams good so far)
2)aem cold air intake with the graduation money im going to be getting, just so its not completely stock
3)lower it, just a inch or maybe 2, some nice Eibachs or something, mated with hopefully koni reds/maybe yellows, depending on my money situation in the next few months
4)a good set of headers, dc, megan, something with good mid range gains for autocross, soon after mated a rs-r ex mag cat back (love the low profileness of it)
last)no body mods, MAYBE a cf hood and a lip, and no swap for this car, i want to work my way threw the autocross ranks and not just jump into the highest class (never said a b16/b18 wasnt temping though)

im pritty sure by the time i lower it ill be autocrossing, so after the exhast in going to work on whatever weak spots it has. i know for damn sure that the next set of tires are going to be a bit higher performance.

also, for the reasons i wanted a civic, here it is: i just turned 18, i first of all need a car thats going to last me a while and it pritty easy to work on. also im going to collage in rancho cucamunga (spelling for sure here) to take my deep rooted passion for cars and make me a living on it. im living at home still, but its a 45 min drive each way everyday, so gas is a big factor here. also, i wanted something with good after market support (my og choices where civic, teg, miata, or 240 or something of the sort). all and all, i think i got the right car for the situation im in right now, but later after collage, im predicting a real sports car .

and maybe "dream" car is a little much, how about afordable transportion till saterday, then its time to start learning how to race.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 PM
R.I.P.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by divisionskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to answer a lot of questions, heres my plans for my car so far:

1)definally first im going to tune it up, check everything to make sure everythings ok before i begin to build anything (everything seams good so far)
2)aem cold air intake with the graduation money im going to be getting, just so its not completely stock
3)lower it, just a inch or maybe 2, some nice Eibachs or something, mated with hopefully koni reds/maybe yellows, depending on my money situation in the next few months
4)a good set of headers, dc, megan, something with good mid range gains for autocross, soon after mated a rs-r ex mag cat back (love the low profileness of it)
last)no body mods, MAYBE a cf hood and a lip, and no swap for this car, i want to work my way threw the autocross ranks and not just jump into the highest class (never said a b16/b18 wasnt temping though)

im pritty sure by the time i lower it ill be autocrossing, so after the exhast in going to work on whatever weak spots it has. i know for damn sure that the next set of tires are going to be a bit higher performance.

also, for the reasons i wanted a civic, here it is: i just turned 18, i first of all need a car thats going to last me a while and it pritty easy to work on. also im going to collage in rancho cucamunga (spelling for sure here) to take my deep rooted passion for cars and make me a living on it. im living at home still, but its a 45 min drive each way everyday, so gas is a big factor here. also, i wanted something with good after market support (my og choices where civic, teg, miata, or 240 or something of the sort). all and all, i think i got the right car for the situation im in right now, but later after collage, im predicting a real sports car .

and maybe "dream" car is a little much, how about afordable transportion till saterday, then its time to start learning how to race.</TD></TR></TABLE>any little mod you do to the car will put you in a higher class in auto cross, not just swaps, and i just gave up putting **** in bold
Old 06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

putting a b16 into a civic coupe is not "jumping" into any high class, it makes for a good milage, quick commuter. turbo it and thats a different story.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 PM

i love civic. who cares what you have in it, beat up whatever motor u have and its fun. i wouldn't say its hard to get a teggy in murietta though, i've seen a lot of them there and in temecula
Old 06-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (axtran)

Congrats man, glad to see you got the car you wanted.

Don't pay any attention to the whine bags, they bitch about Honda's all day, but yet they still log on to Honda-Tech each, and every day
Old 06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jeremy D. Swain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeremy D. Swain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Congrats man, glad to see you got the car you wanted.

Don't pay any attention to the whine bags, they bitch about Honda's all day, but yet they still log on to Honda-Tech each, and every day </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was just about to say something about that...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda 3300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any little mod you do to the car will put you in a higher class in auto cross, not just swaps </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya but a swap it self puts you in the highest class

after reading up more, i think the intake will wait cus the headers seam better all around, and i can spend the extra 150 with the cash i have right now. im also going to look up the scca rules for stock class mods, i know theres like 2 or 3 things you can do to it and still run the stock class.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

take a stock miata...take a stock civic...

run them at the autox with the same driver on the same tires in a stock car, miata will take the trophy, hands down

run then at a full circuit track with the same drivers on the same performance tires with mild suspension mods, miata will take the trophy, hands down...

it's a more balanced car and rwd makes it that much better...plus there's a reason why you dont see more civics than miatas at autox...it's because miatas are BETTER FOR THAT...

unless you have a fetish for understeer at harassment from the cops...i'd go with a miata anyday</TD></TR></TABLE>

Monster Miata FTW!!
Old 06-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take a stock miata...take a stock civic...

run them at the autox with the same driver on the same tires in a stock car, miata will take the trophy, hands down

run then at a full circuit track with the same drivers on the same performance tires with mild suspension mods, miata will take the trophy, hands down...

it's a more balanced car and rwd makes it that much better...plus there's a reason why you dont see more civics than miatas at autox...it's because miatas are BETTER FOR THAT...

unless you have a fetish for understeer at harassment from the cops...i'd go with a miata anyday</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait wait wait.... guys you misunderstood.. they are all great cars.. but they are all girl cars, and that cobalt above was awesome.. the miata I know is a great car, redline and ss are all good. They are girls cars though....
Old 06-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by divisionskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and maybe "dream" car is a little much, how about afordable transportion till saterday, then its time to start learning how to race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i miss bein 18
Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

iono how to say this w/o soundin like an *******, so I'ma put this as bluntly as possible, u have a D16Y8, the best AEM CAI, DC Sport headers, a name brand exhaust, and all the rest of the money u DUMP into that car will give u a MAXIMUM of 10hp... I'm pretty sure it's the crappiest VTEC engine and no bolt ons will help it (unless u count a low pressure turbo a bolt on)

Here's my advice to ya, screw the lowering, screw the DC Sport headers, screw the AEM CAI, screw the catback, screw the carbon fiber hood, save up and buy that B16 u were thinkin about, at least that'll give a lil kick, but def man, save up for a swap

There's one thing I learned the hardway, the D series blows as any kind of power car, yea it's great for commuters w/ the 35mpg, but powerwise, it's last, last, last, maybe not last to the D15 non-vtec's, but it's pretty down there...
I'd have my motor out today if I could afford a swap, but due to financial difficulties hammered into the same time as an assload of bills, iono how many car parts I'll be buying for awhile..

and plz, don't give me the crap about the super D series engines, b/c they got more money than a good swap in rods, pistons, boored, valves, valve retainers, cranks, cams, cam gears, flywheels, etc. etc. etc.

u want duelies, think about ur apps b4 u start tackin on parts, I personally wouldn't start souping it up until u pop the hood and there's not a D series in there...]

btw, u paid an ASSLOAD more than that thing's worth..in any event...

oh well, that's just my advice, u wanna soup it up, power to ya, good luck with the autocross and happy for ya that u got ur dream car ("to each his own" as they say) have fun driving it, with the ammount u paid for it, along with u being completely screwed not having a car again, don't crash it !!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:30 AM

syndacate, is your mod-list a joke or is it for real?

Quick Reply: a kid finally gets his dream...