Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Keeping AC with turbo DOHC ZC EK (or D)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keeping AC with turbo DOHC ZC EK (or D)

Whats up.

I was gonna get a bunch of work on my car, a EK coupe HX, but missed my shop appointment, because I wasn't sure of things, or even if I want to keep the car, or go with something else.

One of my car philosophies is its gotta be comfortable. I wont drive something without power options, (no hatches here) and I wont remove power options for any reason.

Now the motor I was getting put in my car was the DOHC ZC with a EX tranny. I recently decided I wanted it to be faster than my last car, an H22A+M2B4 N20 Teg, which has 12.8 with full track prep on bottle.

So, with the DOHC ZC(D series), this cannot be done without turbo and or nitrous. However if I can't retain power steering and air conditioning, then I need to have another plan, or get a non-Honda.

Please dont bring up, "A ZC in a EK???WTF"

I've had multiple swaps.The B16 and GSR arent worth the price. If you get a motor from a REPUTABLE SHOP, and not some guy thats had it in his car ripping up the streets, then its gonna cost. I've paid $3000 to run mid 15's.

H22, **** the goddamned cable tranny. **** the goddamned axles. I had so many problems, I'd rather never deal with H22 in a non-Prelude again.

So, basically any turbo D guys with AC retained?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Keeping AC with turbo DOHC ZC EK (Rude Awakening)

bump
Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Keeping AC with turbo DOHC ZC EK (henrayy)

plenty of ppl keep ac with turbo kit you just need an ac/ps compatible manifold and be creative with the intercooler routing.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

times two^
Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Keeping AC with turbo DOHC ZC EK (Rude Awakening)

im glad someone asked but i am going on this project of turbo n keepin my a/c i think the best way to go is the ugly little turbo manifold that looks like stock headers those usually fit a/c as well as turbo...

good luck i <3 turbo!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm going to bring up the dohc D in the EK anyways, because I can't see any compelling reason why you would do that. OK, dohc VTEC from a shop is expensive. So get a B18B they are cheap.
Aftermarket support is totally weak for the dohc D, and I hope you are someplace where inspection will never exist since you'll be putting in a motor probably 10 years older than your car.

I can't see what the benefit of this would be over just boosting the stock D16. There's plenty of power to be had with a boosted sohc and plenty of experience around with that to handle any issues you might have. And it already goes w/o saying that you can set up a turbo on it and keep a/c and p/s.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I'm going to bring up the dohc D in the EK anyways, because I can't see any compelling reason why you would do that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, dohc VTEC from a shop is expensive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, and I'm not paying $3000+ again for 15's. And even if a joe-schmoe was selling a full hydro B16 for $1000 out of his car, I still wouldn't buy it. I have to be the first to drive on a swapped motor(atleast first car its swapped into).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So get a B18B they are cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Its still more money and extra parts than a DOHC ZC, and teh B18B is the motor people get when they can't afford a B16, but want a B. My problem is not having the money for a DOHC VTEC, its me not wanting to waste it again.

Stock for stock its about same power, and the Z6/Y8 trans have the damn near same gearing as the LS.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Aftermarket support is totally weak for the dohc D, and I hope you are someplace where inspection will never exist since you'll be putting in a motor probably 10 years older than your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats right, no e-check here.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't see what the benefit of this would be over just boosting the stock D16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

DOHC look. SOHC dont fill a bay good enough with that skinny valve cover.

Other than B and H, I've had nearly every type of D, including another ZC, and I liked the sound and power of the ZC motor than other D's.

Not only that, I have a Y5 with high miles. It would need rebuilt, which a Y5 isn't worth. And since its a Y5, its a nerf motor, which means there are things that are LESSER than a Z6 or Y8, like intake manifold, ect parts they made for MPG.

Also no matter what it needs a tranny. HX tranny is the worst **** I have had, or near it.

Any D motor with Y in the number has that gay *** oil pump setup that fails.

There's plenty of power to be had with a boosted sohc and plenty of experience around with that to handle any issues you might have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm sure. Just dont want it in my bay.

And it already goes w/o saying that you can set up a turbo on it and keep a/c and p/s.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can it be done without a log manifold is the new question.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, to each their own I suppose...
I'm sure it can be done with a tubular manifold also but probably not the cheapo ones like those on Ebay. Pretty sure they give little-to-no consideration for your accessories. A/C is a must though.