Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion?

Is it possible to keep the ABS from the EK ABS rear drum brakes when swapping over to 5 lug conversion? The way it plugs in looks different from disc brakes

I serached the topic and I noticed that most people just left the ABS out since most of the EK's that have done this didn't have ABS in the first place, but I would like to keep it if it is possible. Any information would be appreciated!!!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (Silver Ferio)

bump
Old 05-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as long as there is a sensor to connect and teeth on the hub I dont see why it wouldnt work
Old 05-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

hmmm anybody else got any information?

bump
Old 05-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Silver Ferio)

bump
Old 05-25-2004, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (1993sir)

I believe canadian models did and it was an option on 99-00 si's --I know the first part is right but I dont know about the si part
Old 05-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (Silver Ferio)

If the car came with ABS, it will work as long as the 5 lug conversion you swap in comes with/has the abs sensors with it. Obviously, if you don't have a sensors, its not going to work properly.

I did a 5 lug/brake conversion on my EK and also installed the ABS. It's not exactly fun/easy as you lose some room under the hood for a J's racing intake for example.

In conclusion, IF its already there, it'll work if u plug in the sensors.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:38 AM

i think u can just connect 2 wires for each sensor, don't worry about the plug. ABS sensor is just a open ended wire with coils on a small magnet. I didn't try that in person but I read those info from helm manual. Let me know if I'm wrong. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (HypeR0070)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HypeR0070 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I did a 5 lug/brake conversion on my EK and also installed the ABS. It's not exactly fun/easy as you lose some room under the hood for a J's racing intake for example.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So did you have abs as standard or did you install it with the 5 lug?!
I don´t have abs but I need to install abs in my ek to make my car legal in my country with my jdm itr swap.
I´m going to buy an 97 jdm itr front clip with 5 lug swapped in. I´m still chacking if the 97 has abs or if 5 lug has sensors. but could you tell me what I would need to install abs with my 5lug swap?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (kivi85)

abs was not standard with my EK. I took all the abs components from my wrecked ITR and put it into the EK. Installed ABS into a non-abs factory car. Not too shabby I guess.

Keep in mind, I'm using all ITR parts, so I'm probably going through a little bit more work with brake line bending/flaring/etc. etc compared to using a civic abs system.

Components include:
ABS computer,
" relay box,
" motor, (you'll need to fabricate a mount)
" sensors with 5 lug,
the wiring,
fail safe relay (central ground point for abs)
brake lines,
proportioning valve,

I needed to get the double flare wrench making tool, Like 45 bucks or so but whatever, its necessary to shorten the brake lines so the abs motor will fit in.

The hardest thing to do is the wiring. Running everything on the passenger side, just use what is already included. Its not worth chopping up the main wire harness that goes across the dash just to put in a few more wires, although I'm doing it because i need to access the other wires. Its easiest to just run 2 separate wires for the front drivers side rather then take it apart from the existing harness. I still have 4 wires that go across the dash, i believe to the gauge/cluster for the abs indicators. My car is alot of work. Swapping the motor itself wasn't too bad, but adding in all the amenities like power windows/locks/abs makes it take alot longer.

The wiring takes a long time though, just take your time about it at the very least. I'm knowledgable with honda wiring and it doesn't hurt having an electrical engineering degree either. .
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (HypeR0070)

where does these parts locate in the integra?
abs computer?
relay box?
motor (its in the front right corner of the engine bay, right?)
sensors are in the 5lug conversion
fail safe relay?

I will ask all the parts that arent in the front clip from where I buy it so it would be good to know where ewerything is.
I will also be using all integra parts if I get them all togerher!
Do you got some wiring diagrams that you could send me?

Is there a lot of wiring to be done?

I´m studying to become an car mechanic ánd I´m starting a summer job at honda next week so I will be getting some info there but since you have done it all the advice is welcome!

thank you for the advice!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (kivi85)

My 98 ex sedan has abs. It is was made in canada but sold in the us. I put in a JDM GSR swap but because of the axles i don't have ABS. I don't know if my drums are still getting abs. The reason why i don't have ABS is because of the JDM axles they don't have these teeth things on the axles which help signal the ABS computer. I need to switch them for USDM ITR axles in order to reclaim my ABS on the front.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this was all from an itr:

abs computer was behind rear passenger panel.
relay box is upfront is in front of front passenger strut tower,
motor, in front of strut tower also,
sensors are with the brakes/5 lugs,
fail safe relay, connected to the wiring for abs, bolts to front frame, close to abs motor,

I have no wiring diagrams to speak of. Look at wires, see where they go, take all those wires. &gt;=P

A car mechanic huh? props to you. working on cars is fun stuph. Hopefully being a novice mechanic at honda will help you, but to be honest, you won't learn as much about wiring as you'd like.

No idea about wiring? go get a Helm's ETM. otherwise just do it hardcore without it and get screwed over when nothing works later, hahaha &gt;=P
Old 05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever happened to my original question?

My EX 1998 4dr came with ABS and I just wanted to know if anybody actually swapped the ABS from the rear drums onto the 5 lug rear disc.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump because I was wanting to do this but had the same delimma.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keeping ABS on EK with rear drum when swapping to 5 lug conversion? (intenseEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intenseEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump because I was wanting to do this but had the same delimma.</TD></TR></TABLE>