Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Keep the Motor or Rebuild it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the Motor and Rebuild it, or buy new block????

ok. before people start going crazy about modifying the **** out of my motor or getting a B, H, or K series motor, im a student about to move to houston for U.T.I.

i just [freak] up my motor last week just befor going to visit family.

i was running down the hiway with a few of my buddies about to take pics of the cars. well sum impatiend ******* decided to throw on his brights and go onto the right hand sholder to pass me. so i stepped on it... afterwards i look at my temp and its sky high...

i blew a radiator hose and spewed coolant. blew a head gasket. but thats just the begining. my buddie pulled the motor apart while i was out of town and saw that the sleeves separated from the block. he said he can get it all fixed and running better for $550. (B/C of better compression.)

or should i just buy a rebuildt Z6 block for $350.

im so pissed b/c i had my car running 15.5's at the track wit a stock motor. just intake header and exaugst.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Keep the Motor and Rebuild it, or buy new block???? (fryguy190)

i'm not sure what your friend means when he says "the sleeves are separated from the block" so maybe a picture if that could help

it would seem that there would be more damage to the bottom end of the motor if the sleeves blew so the sleeves should be ok assuming there are no scores on the walls

as for everything else...
check the cylinder walls for any scores, any damage to the pot of the pistons, and don't spend $500 or $350.
just get a headgasket, radiator, and call it a day.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your friend does know that the sleeves aren't supposed to touch the block right? That space around them if for coolant to flow.

Oh and UTI, what a joke. Save your money and get a job at a garage. UTI is worthless..... unless you plan to flip burgers.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't bother trying to rebuild that i doubt it will ever be the same again. rebuilt Z6 might be ok, or get a JDM D15B vtec, very similar engine with very similar numbers and will drop right in.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Keep the Motor and Rebuild it, or buy new block???? (94EG8)

Sohc cams are easy to source just swap it out. I dont see where the damage hes saying is so cant tell what hes talking about and most Honda motors are open deck meaning the cooling jackets can be seen on the motor as opposed to a closed deck like a h22 or 4g63 dsm motor.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just rebuild with some vitaras and tuner toys rods and you're ready for some boost.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id just get the rebuilt z6 block
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Keep the Motor and Rebuild it, or buy new block???? (eg2jr)

Urinary tract infection!?!??!!? wtf?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your friend does know that the sleeves aren't supposed to touch the block right? That space around them if for coolant to flow.

Oh and UTI, what a joke. Save your money and get a job at a garage. UTI is worthless..... unless you plan to flip burgers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it all wrong, his name is fry guy, he won't be flipping burgers, he'll be dipping fries in the fryer lol.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You got it all wrong, his name is fry guy, he won't be flipping burgers, he'll be dipping fries in the fryer lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha you guys are ********.
Im a cook.
haha, but im not complaining.

I've always heard UTI was a joke aswell, i mean the only advertisments for it that ive seen are between jerry springer commercials, so that has to mean something.

good luck holmes, By the way...the d15bvtec isnt a bad idea.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JdelMsolG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've always heard UTI was a joke aswell, i mean the only advertisments for it that ive seen are between jerry springer commercials, so that has to mean something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha ya out here since UTI is pretty close by there are ALOT of people that go there thinking they are gonna come out and be the **** at working on cars. how ever you basically just **** away your money to use their tools and not even really learn anything (alot of book/watching from what i hear)

so basically when these people get out of UTI they have no tools and still no experience. alot of shops around here wont hire people that have gone to UTI, i personally know my friends shop will not atleast.

find a community college and check out their car courses. you will learn ALOT more plus it costs more then 1/2 less then UTI, so you can spend all that money you would of wasted at UTI on TOOLS.

trust me, i was going to attend UTI and then i figured all this out.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dividedas1)

whats going on there? looks like your radiator hose is kinked... did you take this picture after you overheated? lol im guessing you did now that i noticed the clamps off as well. any ways i would just buy the rebuilt block.

a sohc with high comp pistons still kinda sucks honestly. with an engine like that it comes down to driver skill, for instance my old coupe was a little bit faster then then this hatch from around here, same motor except he had high comp pistons i/h/e, and i just had i/h/e clutch and flywheel.

that money that could really be spent else where in my opinion like saving for a turbo or nitrous or a better engine.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whats going on there? looks like your radiator hose is kinked... did you take this picture after you overheated? lol im guessing you did now that i noticed the clamps off as well. any ways i would just buy the rebuilt block.

a sohc with high comp pistons still kinda sucks honestly. with an engine like that it comes down to driver skill, for instance my old coupe was a little bit faster then then this hatch from around here, same motor except he had high comp pistons i/h/e, and i just had i/h/e clutch and flywheel.

that money that could really be spent else where in my opinion like saving for a turbo or nitrous or a better engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just checked my SOHC VTEC and that radiator hose is supposed to go to the top of the radiator lol.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just checked my SOHC VTEC and that radiator hose is supposed to go to the top of the radiator lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Radiators are overrated, not needed at ALL and are just marketing hype
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Yeah I was fixing to say his motor isn't even connected to the radiator. No wonder it over heated.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

lol, good job
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahha dont waste ur money goin to UTI piece of crap...i graduated from there...wat a waste of my freakin money...freakin 60k to pay back...and look at me now...workin for a company driving fork lift loadin and unloadin trucks...[freak]in sucks
Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Re: (EkFG)

UTI is good in some ways I know your trying to become a bmw, benz, etc. it helps alot. but to get into those programs you have to be at top of your game. down to the motor go DOHC go big. but if money problem go with whatever cheaper.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (36Chitownrunnin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 36Chitownrunnin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">UTI is good in some ways I know your trying to become a bmw, benz, etc. it helps alot. but to get into those programs you have to be at top of your game. down to the motor go DOHC go big. but if money problem go with whatever cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that pic with the kinked hose is from after the motor blew. i took the radiato out b/c i had a hole in it. so i just connected the hose to the front of the head so it wouldnt spill every where. and if you look at the third pic you can see the radiator. look b4 you speak dumbass. if u r really stupid enough to not put a radiator in your car you shouldnt own one.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fryguy190)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryguy190 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> look b4 you speak dumbass. if u r really stupid enough to not put a radiator in your car you shouldnt own one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY HEY, ...you're the one going to UTI.

hahahahahahahaha
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HEY HEY, ...you're the one going to UTI.

hahahahahahahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch!!! BURN!!!! TSSSSSS! lol